January...a new year...what are you reading?
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (75)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
I have a new favorite this year...what's yours?
Comments (25)I'm a little reluctant to say that I have a new favorite but this thread has tempted me long enuf . . . I bought 2 Thessaloniki tomatoes at the farmers' market last year. I was pleased with the flavor, saved some seeds and read up a little about them. I felt that the research was necessary. I'm not sure if I've ever gotten more than a couple of ripe tomatoes off any 80 day tomato. With an arid climate, cool nights, and short season - some varieties others enjoy just seem a little out of my reach. Thessaloniki appeared to be an heirloom within my reach and I went for it - so glad I did! I see the flavor description as "pleasant" in a number of catalogs. I like a full flavor in my tomatoes but if this one is "pleasant" - I'm happy. Mild - yes, but a nice fruity taste. The fruit matured with a minimum of cracks (a big deal in this part of the world). They are generally free of blemish and a lovely shape. Most of the fruit was harvested ripe but this was a long season for the 2007 garden. I'm not sure if I could have this measure of success with them ripening on the vine in the future. So, I've got quite a few picked green and sitting on the kitchen counter. Since it is such a mild tomato and that fruitiness seems so delicate to me - I'm not sure if Thessaloniki is going to still have that flavor after being picked green. I'll keep my fingers crossed that these tomatoes will be good in a week or 2 and go with it being a favorite here at the end of September. So far, I'm very pleased! digital Steve...See MoreBest Books You've Read in 2007
Comments (45)I didn't make it to my personal goal of 200 books, but I did manage to read/listen to 189 books (even if many of them were re-reads). For my top 10 list, I am only including books that were new reads during 2007. In no particular order: Fiction Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear Deephaven & Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen Invisible Lives by Anjali Banerjee Nonfiction (only had 4 that actually counted) Murder in the Adirondacks by Craig Grandon Sarah Orne Jewett (a biography) by Paula Blanchard The Medicine Wheel Garden by E. Barrie Kavasch The Creative Home Herbal by Susan Bellsinger & Tina Marie Wilcox Okay, I said I wasn't going to list any re-reads, but here are my top 5 favorite re-reads from 2007 The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner Beauty by Robin McKinley Persuasion by Jane Austen Farewell I'm Bound to Leave You by Fred Chappell...See MoreDecember: What are you reading?
Comments (78)I have been reading a couple of OOP mysteries from Betterworld and also bought a copy of "Gimme More" by Lisa Cody to read again as I enjoyed it some years ago. It has been very hot, over 100F so I was bunkered indoors with the air-conditioning on, reading and eating Christmas chocolates. I came to a part where a character remembers floating in a swimming pool which sounded enticing and then I thought "Why am I not doing that?" so instead of reading about it, I grabbed my bathing suit and walked for a full minute to the one in our Village. Sometimes I let fantasy get in the way of reality. Has anyone else ever done that?...See MoreWhat books are you reading?
Comments (192)I am just about in the middle of Jodi Picoult's "Handle With Care". I really like her books, she is very good at what she does, shows how everyday people handle life altering situations. I always feel like I've learned something, too. Joan Eileen, you might also like "The Nightingale" by Kristen Hannah. It also takes place in France during World War II. She is another of my favorite authors, I've read a number of her books, including "True Colors" . I thought it was the best yet until I read "The Nightingale" , it has far surpassed any previous book. In my humble opinion, anyway. Rusty...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

TASTEMAKERSQ&A: Maison & Objet Designer of the Year January 2020
Michael Anastassiades talks about his work in lighting and furniture design, as well as changes in technology
Full Story
WINTER GARDENINGNew Year, New Landscape — What to Do in Your January Garden
Whether you've resolved to make over your garden or just enjoy it more, these tasks can help
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGNew Year’s Resolutions for Minimalists
Pledge to do these 12 things in 2018 and you may find you’re more satisfied with less
Full Story
HOUZZ CALLTell Us Your New Year’s Resolutions for Your Home
Share your plans and dreams for your house this year — whether they involve organizing, remodeling or redecorating
Full Story
LIFEWhat We Love (and Don’t) About New Year’s
Here are our favorite and least favorite things about ringing in the new year. What are yours?
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNIdeas From the Year’s Top 10 Kitchens of the Week
Get inspired by the found objects, reclaimed hardware, efficient storage and work zones in our top kitchens of 2016
Full Story
LIFE11 Easy Ways to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions
Work smarter, not harder, to reach your goals — success is more about taking the right approach than about slogging your way there
Full Story
FLOWERSSneak a Peek at Some of Next Year’s Irresistible New Roses
Here are top 2018 picks for beautiful blooms, lovely fragrances and exceptional disease resistance
Full Story
HOLIDAYSPorch Decorating Ideas From Thanksgiving to New Year’s
Long-lasting wreaths, potted plants and more can cheer up your entryway from fall through winter
Full Story
TRAVEL BY DESIGNThis Year’s Summer Design Events to Know
Get the info on top design happenings, art fairs and museum exhibitions through September 2017
Full Story
katmarie2014