SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jameshawes5

Reluctant, but I'll give it a try

James Hawes
8 years ago

Sharifa Asma

I'll start by noting that in my Indiana zone 5b I've always fought battles against blackspot and especially circaspora, so I've become accustomed to spraying to keep it under control. At the same time, in recent years, I've started making more compost and working to build my soil from the top down. Plus, I've never used chemical fertilizers. Those two ideas don't really seem to go together. I get that, and I don't like the idea of putting poisons in the garden anyway. I'm pretty well read and have some good experience with best practices for rose horticulture. My garden generally looks really good, but that's why I can't stand to see the blackspot. Starting this spring I'm going to get rid of any fungicide or other chemicals I have in my shed. It makes me really nervous though. I have been doing as much research as I can to continue learning about organic practices. I sure hope all of my roses become leafless skeletons by next fall. I do have to say, though, and I'll preface this by saying I really have a lot of respect and appreciation for everyone on the forums. I've learned a lot from everyone's advice and experience. However, after spending a certain amount of time on the organic rose growing forum, I had to stop. What draws me to gardening is the mystery of nature, the beauty, and the art of it. I don't like science or math. I like music and art. I don't want gardening to become studying for a degree in chemistry. That was starting to be a buzzkill for me. In any case, I'll give it a try. Any thoughts to keep me motivated in this direction would be appreciated.

Comments (23)