SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Half bath/powder room fan help

uscpsycho
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am trying to select a fan for my powder room.

First question is how loud? I know having a louder fan in a public bathroom like a powder room is desirable. I've done countless Google searches and I can't find any guidance on the number of sones to aim for.

I have also seen all the formulas for calculating the needed CFM but the #1 goal of an exhaust fan is expelling moisture so I'm not sure if the formulas apply to a half bath. That being said, the bathroom is 5' x 6.5' x 8' which by most calculations would require 35 CFM. So I have to round up to 50 CFM which is the lowest circulation, but as you'll see that is a stumbling block.

I would like a fan with motion detection but the only 50 CFM fan I could find with a built in motion detector is a Panasonic which only has .4 sones (nearly silent). That is more quiet than recommended for a common space restroom.

Every other fan with a motion sensor is 80+ CFM which is probably too powerful for such a small bathroom. And still, I think every motion-activated fan I have seen is of the ultra quiet variety.

If I want 50 CFM and a fan that makes noise and motion activation, is my only option to install a cheap builders-grade fan like this Air King with a motion activated timer switch? It has 3 sones, is that loud enough? Too loud? There's also thisthis Broan with 4 sones but I don't think it looks as nice. Are these even good brands? I know Panasonic fans are the best but as far as I can tell they are all too quiet.

tl;dr - How many sones for small powder room? Is 80 CFM too strong? Are Broan/Air King fans any good? Best way to get correct CFM + correct sones + motion activated timer?

Thanks!

Comments (15)