SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

What did YOU have for Christmas Dinner?

annie1992
8 years ago

I actually had two dinners already, as we did Christmas with Elery's family clear back on December 12. We had a more traditional dinner then, with rolled turkey breast, some bacon sushi, a pork tenderloin Wellington, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, broccoli, several dips and trays of snacks, with cookies and fudge for dessert.

My family Christmas is tomorrow, we'll have pizza (the crust is rising on the counter right now), along with a spiral sliced ham, homemade rolls, more of that bacon sushi, Mother will bring meatballs, nephew Philip will bring venison sausage, the kids will just eat the cookies anyway, LOL.

So, on Christmas it was just Elery and I. I made some pecan crusted sockeye salmon, using wild caught salmon.

With the salmon we had creamed kale, with kale from the garden, and roasted fingerling potatoes, also from the garden. I made parmesan popovers, using some chives which are still green by the back door, odd weather for December.

For dessert, apple pie. I have some apples in storage from our trees, and it's time to use them. I tossed in a handful of cranberries, made crust from my home rendered lard, and a streusel topping. The apples were sweet, so the berries added a nice tart bite.

So, what did YOU have for Christmas dinner?

Annie

Comments (22)

• Lars
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

There were just two of us for Christmas, but I decided to make a special dinner anyway and roasted a small (9 pound) turkey. I added four potatoes to the roasting pan 1 hour before it was done, and I pressure cooked some green beans with mushrooms and onion. While the turkey was cooking, I made a broth from the very large turkey neck, the wing tips, some dried mushrooms, parsnip, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaf, fresh thyme (from my yard), and lemon rind. I made a velouté sauce with the stock and some fresh mushrooms, and I served the sauce with all of the other dishes, especially the green beans, which were my favorite part of the meal. It was a very simple meal, but we were also working on finishing our new front door.

On Christmas day, this hibiscus flower opened, and it is usually pink

Food was not photogenic, but I thought it was nice that the hibiscus got into the Christmas spirit!

I love your Santa cookie, Annie! The belt looks a bit like nori, but I cannot imagine that you would put that on a cookie. The rest looks great as well, and I'm sure I would have had a much better time at your place!

For dessert, we had chocolate chocolate chip cookies with home-made French vanilla ice cream.

• Islay Corbel
    8 years ago

Smoked salmon, foie gras, rib of beef on BBQ, roast tatoes, parsnips, Brussels sprouts with chestnuts, cauliflower cheese then cheese and salad then chocolate log. Ooooof! And too much wine! LOL

• Related Discussions

Christmas Dinner- What do you prepare ahead?

Q

Comments (2)
    Sometimes I manage to make the dressing on the afternoon of the 24th and keep it in the fridge covered until the next morning, when I stuff it into the turkey. I'm always so glad when I can get that done ahead of time as it takes me over an hour to make it and sew it into the bird cavity and neck before getting the turkey into the oven on the 25th. But as we have a nice little buffet supper and open our gifts on Christmas Eve, there are years when I just haven't got the time to make the dressing as well on that day. SharonCb
    ...See More

How was YOUR Christmas - what did you get - did you have fun?

Q

Comments (1)
    I had a very quiet Christmas, and just as well because it was a stinking hot day (35C at 7am!) and there was no energy to breathe, much less anything else. My son and his lady came for breakfast, the first of many visits they had scheduled for the day. This was just fine by me. I got them when they were full of Christmas spirit, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, and by the time they left their appetites were ruined for everyone else's food! The best part of the breakfast was that THEY did all the cooking - I just 'supervised' and provided the food. We had a lot of fun and laughter together exchanging our little gifts, and when they left, I was able to recuperate by sleeping most of the day in front of the fan, or beginning to read one of the several books they gave me (from a list I'd prepared of Must Haves). My sleep was, however, disturbed by a number of phone calls from interstate friends, all very welcome. And in the evening a friend visited, ostensibly to watch Dancesport on TV with me (we are both into ballroom dancing), but mostly to escape her rowdy family at home after a mountain of a day. (She often uses my place as a refuge when things get A Bit Much.) In between these interuptions, I had the opportunity of watching all those silly little Christmas shows on TV. You know, Frosty the Snowman, The Little Drummer Boy and so on. I have a sneaking liking for these little things - maybe I'm in my second childhood! All very pleasant indeed, thank you.
    ...See More

What are you having for Christmas Dinner?

Q

Comments (26)
    Today it is just DH and me (and the mutts). so we are snacking... tomorrow we go to Va Beach to have our Christmas with our oldest daughter and her 3 kids. Her DH is in Navy and out to sea for his 6 month tour. Our oldest GS Ryan, 10, is cooking for us. we are having Pigs in a Blanket (Hot dogs in Crescent Rolls) Mac and Cheese, his is homemade, yum! Stuffing Mashed potatoes and our contribution, Meatballs and a fruit tray oh yes The Happy Birthday Jesus cake that he has been making for several years. Maybe not very Christmas-y but this is his menu, so we go with it. He is actually a very good cook! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all! June
    ...See More

What did you have for dinner tonight?

Q

Comments (39)
    Last night was more interesting - chickpea ravioli filled with smoked gouda and poblano pepper, tossed with a little butter/olive oil mix and some parmesan. Pretty tasty! Plus an apple and some grapes. Got the ravioli at Aldi. Today is leftover homemade multi- bean & vegetable soup, stock made from beef bone. I may make some cornbread to go with - haven't had any in ages.
    ...See More
  • ritaweeda
    8 years ago

I don't do sit-down meals for Christmas, we just graze all day. Antipasta platter with cheeses, Italian sausages, olives, various pickles, dates, grapes, nuts. Stuffed mushrooms, guacamole and chips. Ham, smoked turkey breasts, Pork pies, pasta salad, rolls. Finally, pumpkin and pecan pies. We had Prosecco (my first taste of the stuff, not bad) and I made eggnog punch for the kiddies.

• grandmamary_ga
    8 years ago

It was just 2 of us for Christmas Day and my husband made a standing rib roast for 2. or 3. Grandson had to work. He didn't look in the refrigerator to see his dinner when he came home that night. I loved the idea of the prime rib but when it was finished cooking I could only eat half of mine. Next year my husband said to me if its just us I'm thinking of a bologna sandwich or grilled cheese. lol Our son and his fiance brought us some leftovers yesterday from a party they had for her family. They had cooked a ham but it was horrible to us. Bur we graciously accepted it. How do you mess up a ham? We wondered. We ate a cheese ball we had but never opened. lol Yummy.

• sally2_gw
    8 years ago

We had tacos. My kids are in from Portland, and we've been making the rounds in Oklahoma and here visiting family and friends, so we kept it simple. Tamales and tacos on Christmas eve were a tradition in my family growing up, and I carried it on with my family, minus the tamales. I would have done tamales, but there just wasn't an opportunity to make them or buy them this year, and it's hard to find vegetarian tamales. Everyone felt that a taco dinner was a perfect Christmas dinner.

Sally

• colleenoz
    8 years ago

We had the big family deal on Christmas Eve. One SIL made the pre-dinner nibblies (very much needed as MIL has a new stove with two ovens, and they heated up the wrong one for the turkey so dinner was later than planned), the other SIL was in charge of the turkey and vegetables (it's always carrots, brussels sprouts and roasted potatoes) and I did a whole leg of ham in the barbecue, wrapped it, covered it with towels and dropped it into the Esky and it was still nice and hot when we came to eat it. I also made a lemon cheese cake and a chocolate Yule log which was a chocolate Swiss roll filled with whipped white chocolate ganache (one SIL dislikes cream) and covered with dark chocolate ganache grooved to make it look like a log.

Sadly DH's nearly 90 yo uncle was unable to join us, being in hospital after having a fall on Monday night and not being found for nearly 24 hours. He is very stubborn and insists on living alone and won't have one of those alert pendants so he couldn't call for help- but he's having one now. I suggested it years ago as we had one for my late stepdad for the same reason- he had a tendency to fall and struggled to get up. (Interestingly they both have the same name). But when I suggested it DH's uncle merely gave me a knowing look like he was way too clever to have an alarm- hope he now realises that it's cleverer to have the alarm than not.

Christmas Day was just DH and me, very low key. By the time I got myself organised to pop the turkey in the barbecue and it was cooked, dinner was about 10pm. But that was OK because we had plenty of ham to snack on all day.

DD and new SIL arrived for a couple of days this evening so I did potatoes Normandie and roasted sweet potatoes in the barbecue and also gently reheated some ham and some turkey in there as well, which we enjoyed with leftover dessert.

It's been quite hot here, over 100F, so being able to use the barbecue like an outdoor over has been brilliant :-)

• pkramer60
    8 years ago

Dad and I had 2 big meals in two days. Christmas eve was a friends house were she served a crown roast of pork, stuffing, mashed potatoes, rolls. I brought the thin green beans, home made apple sauce and a beautiful cake from a local bakery. We got sent home with plenty of leftovers, including the "Atomic" cake (layers of dark chocolate cake, cheese cake, yellow cake, strawberries, chocolate cake all covers with whipped cream and a ganache.).

Christmas Day was just the two of us, so I did a 2 bone standing rib, creamed spinach and a twice baked potato casserole. The sides were made the day before, so only the roast needed tending. Dessert was the leftover cake.

I am happy for all the leftovers as on Friday I awoke to a sore throat and nasty cough, as did Dad. BBC America is running a 5 day Dr. Who marathon, so I have been on the couch, Dad keeps snoozing and Emma is happy with the toys SantaPaws brought her.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8 years ago

Mmm - looks like a lot of wonderful feasts were had!

We had a buffet. My mother is still the hostess w/ the mostest, but she's 85 now & uses a walker & decided to take things easier this year, since it was an open house. We had chicken wings from Publix, oven fries, both sweet & white, some kind of squash puree, roasted asparagus, assorted salads. I made a carrot/apple/raisin & roasted beets w/ lime & Mom made her always-gobbled-up cranberry/pecan green salad. A friend from Dominica brought homemade ginger beer. We always eat relatively late (between 5:30/6:30p.m.) so most people showup having already feasted earlier in the day.

Then there was a side table of cookies, candy & a cake I made for the first time that was soooo easy & good I'm gonna do it New Year's Day as well: cranberry-orange poke cake w/ whipped cream topping. It was a yellow sheet cake (mine was from scratch, made w/ all butter, but you can use a mix & white cake would be even prettier) baked, cooled, then poked all over & topped w/ a can of jellied cranberry sauce plus the grated peel & juice of an orange melted on the stove to liquify, then poured & spread over the cake, chilled & spread before serving w/ stiffly whipped & lightly sweetened cream. Everybody raved about that, despite that fact that I screwed up the cake recipe & left out some of the butter & mixed it in the wrong order - I'll get it right next time = )

• chase_gw
    8 years ago

Traditional here, at least for us. Turkey, ham, sweet potato gratin , mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, green beans with bacon, cauliflower, cheese sauce, baked beans, dinner rolls, pickles, trifle, pecan pie.......

Got smart this year......instead of having a holiday dinner party for our friends I had a leftover Boxing Day brunch!!! Everyone loved it! So easy, and so cheap !!!!

• ann_t
    8 years ago

Sounds like everyone ate well over Christmas.

Annie, love the grumpy reindeer.

We had our traditional Christmas Eve dinner - Tourtiere.

And an untraditional, for us, Christmas dinner.

We started with Matt's favourite appetizer

La Gougere.

Our main was

Chateabriand - Grilled Beef Tenderloin

Served with a home-made bernaise sauce.

For dessert, I made an old favourite. English Trifle. I've had this recipe for almost 40 years. Baked the cake and made the custard early Christmas Eve day and assembled the trifle Christmas Eve. This gives the layers of cake sprinkled with sherry, the custard, fresh raspberries and blackberries all a chance to meld.

Finished with a layer of whipped cream and toasted almonds.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

Looks great! All of it.

We had honey baked ham, sweet potatoes, spinach salad (cranberries, bosc pear, toasted pecans) with hot bacon dressing, deviled eggs, rolls, and pie. Pretty boring, and over quickly. As I drove off I thought, why did I bother to make anything and drive all the way there? I think none of us was in the spirit this year :( Very grinch like!

I hope everyone had great holiday and has a happy New Years!

• User
    8 years ago

Christmas Eve was rib roast and Christmas was turkey breast- roasted and deep fried.

Lot of great sides including roasted brussels, riced potatoes, stuffing, green beans, glazed carrots.

Almost forgot- Christmas apps were amazing! Crab cakes, mini lobster quesadillas, shaved filet mignon crostini and mini sliders. It was hard to resist lest dinner be spoiled!

• ruthanna_gw
    8 years ago

Looks and sounds like the holidays were celebrated with some very special meals.

Instead of a sit-down Christmas dinner, we have two open houses on Christmas Day, as we have for decades. Brunch is from 9-1 and a soup, salad, and bread supper is from 6 onward through the evening. Most of the menu can be made in advance so on Christmas, we just pop things in the oven or microwave or do a little bit of assembly.

Brunch menu was fresh-squeezed orange-tangerine juice, our traditional fruit cup, Durgin Park baked ham, candied bacon, sausage breakfast casserole, spinach and mushroom quiche, roasted Rosemary potatoes, Moroccan carrot salad, miniature bagels and muffins, a large selection of holiday cookies, and beverages.

Supper was four kinds of soup, three different salads, and freshly baked breads and rolls (supplied by a friend who doesn't celebrate Christmas and enjoys spending the day baking) with an assortment of flavored butters, and desserts brought by guests, including a luscious ricotta cheesecake.

It was a relaxing and enjoyable day with lots of good food and good people.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    8 years ago

We had a honey baked ham, buttered cider sauce, peach and mincemeat garnish, steamed snow pea pods, roast fingerling potatoes, pumpkin bread, orange cranberry bread, cheesecake pie, champagne and wine with birthday cake. It was also grandson's 9th birthday, so we have birthday cake for him in addition to a tastier dessert my sister brings.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    8 years ago

Fun family Annie!

I need to try ann_t's meat tort. I say that every year but it is on my list.

We had some failures. Christmas day was dysfunctional family day. No one told me family was waiting...when we walked in and trying to settle after a long drive...yikes. I was hounded trying to un-pack...did not know so many people were there. And a sit down dinner was waiting. I had prepped so many sides but this and that niece and nephew had to eat by 5 and sister wanted all to be perfect...they started digging into my cheese and treat platters before i could pee. Horrible meal. I gave up and had a glass of wine.

I had 6 cheeses and olives and ghost pepper salami and salmon charcuterie all prepped to platter but they dove into the containers before i could plate them...savages. My homemade flatbread was still in the truck yet to be unloaded. : )

(thought it was to be a quiet evening with my parents)...prep and eat around 7.

My mother, now 86, tried to make a traditional turkey meal but it was so unnecessary. She cooks blonde. (not hair). Just safe and under done. The turkey was started 5am like the ye-olden days, Dressing bland and not baked fully, gravy white and floury. Sweet potatoes boiled in water to death. She stressed knowing i was on my way not knowing family showed up and waiting...(my sister that does not cook and expected miracles).

The turkey sat 3 hours covered. How do they not know safe temp as i have taught them for years!? .

I had all the fixings prepped to go into the oven but they were done well after all the family left. (did not know the extra family were even to be there). Family that does not cook and thinks those of us that do should provide for all. Grrr.

"Almost forgot- Christmas apps were amazing! Crab cakes, mini lobster quesadillas, shaved filet mignon crostini and mini sliders." Yum!

We had better successes the following days. : )

The best oyster stew ever. Finally perfected that one. Then oyster fritters for breakfast this morning...

• Gooster
    8 years ago

For Christmas, we had a rib roast, roasted rosemary potatoes, corn, green beans almondine, rolls, crudite, "24 hr" salad (mom's), asian chicken salad (cousin's), marionberry and lemon meringue pie (mom's) and a chocolate truffle torte (sister). Apps included stuffed mushrooms, guacamole, cookies, fruit and a whole lot of charcuterie, chocolate, chips, and other purchased goodies. Christmas Eve was a small crowd, and I made breaded chicken and penne with pesto di Trapani.

The oddest thing for me was cooking the vast majority of the meal on unfamiliar equipment. I know some people say that you should be able to cook with anything -- but I tell you, turning out the chicken with a warped saute pan was an extra challenge that made me appreciate my own kitchen.

• colleenoz
    8 years ago

Hey Gooster, I sympathise about the unfamiliar equipment. SIL and I both take our own knives if we're cooking at MIL's, and any other particular things w'll need, such as serving plates etc. MIL has "stay-sharp" knives that don't and it drove me nuts until I started taking my own.

Poor Sleevendog! Perhaps next year you should do all the food and meet your mother at a secret location to enjoy it in peace. Or else lock your stuff in the car until you are ready to deal with it. That would have irked the carp out of me. Your sister's family sound very annoying. Glad Boxing Day was better :-)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

Well that sucks. Get well to whomever is in the hospital! (((mustangs)))

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    8 years ago

That does suck. The best wishes for recovery and good foods once back home. : (

• pkramer60
    8 years ago

Cathy, you have mail.

• bbstx
    8 years ago

Sister always has 30 - 40 in-laws on Christmas Eve. Although it started out as potluck, it has ended up with DSis doing almost everything. She's just a better cook than her in-laws (and safer, too!). Her house is halfway between me and DM, so she also gets stuck with us (about 10 or so) on Christmas Day. I tried to take the strain off and brought almost everything for Christmas Day.

We decided to "simplify," but I'm not sure how simple it was. We had tenderloin sliders, veggie tray with dip, boiled shrimp and various sweets, In the midst of trying to get everything ready to serve, DSon and DD decided to make cheese straws. They were delish, but it just added to the kitchen chaos. I prepared blue cheese mushrooms and totally forgot to take them out of the fridge and bake them. We had them about 9 p.m while playing board games. I think we had something else, but right now I can't remember what. It's a blur.

Was it simpler? Yes, probably. Everyone gathered around the island while we cooked. Things were served as they were ready, without the stress of trying to make everything come out together. But it also seemed a little frayed, unorganized, not quite as satisfying as having the entire family sitting down to dinner together.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor