SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Can we talk about built ins?

mrspete
8 years ago

I'm thinking about built ins for my great room: Not quite 16' deep and 20' long, vaulted ceiling, fireplace in the middle of the focal wall. We will do a wall /cased opening between the kitchen and living room, the two rooms will be a little more separated than they appear here.

Here's a picture of a different house plan /first cousin to my plan:

And here's the great room floor plan -- that's the kitchen, sandwiched between the breakfast and dining rooms to the right -- and that's the master bedroom to the left; no that doorway isn't ideal, but it's one of only two compromises in the floor plan, and we can live with it:

At this moment I'm thinking just of the built-ins. Things of which we're sure:

- We want some type of stone to extend to the ceiling over the fireplace. I want a lovely mantle for seasonal decorations, especially Christmas things /will include electrical outlets.

- I have a lovely antique mirror that was my grandmother's, and I will use it above the fireplace.mantle.

- I like the above pictured built-in on the left: I like that it's "broken" into a large center and two smaller side pieces. We would put in a large TV, and I like the closed storage underneath (I'm married to an engineer, so you can't imagine the video and stereo equipment we need to hide, not to mention the Star Trek videos). I think we'd place the TV on a wall mount so it could be swung out towards the seating.

Things about which I'd like advice:

- I have an absolutely beautiful grandfather clock, which I want to place prominently in the room -- it is not quite 8' tall, dark wood and brass face and workings: I've marked what I see as the two possibilities with red crosses. I'm leaning towards placing it just inside the door to the great room, which would mean the inner workings would be visible from two sides, something my engineer husband loves ...

- but at the same time, I'm wondering if I should skip the smaller, right-side built-ins. This would make the grandfather clock more prominent, but it would also place it in an alcove and prevent us from seeing the side-workings.

- Should the built ins in the great room match the kitchen cabinets? They will be visible at the same time.

Your thoughts on my built-ins? All are appreciated.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH