SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1401217

Can We Talk About Microwaves?

User
10 years ago

Recently, the top story on my AOL news feed was that sales of MW's had plummeted in recent years. Partly because they were lasting longer than earlier models, people needed to replace them less often. But also because people were choosing other ways to cook/reheat food that resulted in better taste and texture than those done in a MW.

As part of our remodel, we're replacing our OTR MW w/ a venting hood. We're getting all new cabs and I'm not inclined to want any of them configured to house the MW. This is a change of heart for me because I'd originally planned to retrofit my current cabs to hold a MW.

But now that I'm getting nice new ones and this will likely be my last full remodel, I don't want to cut into them to house small appliances. My thoughts are that something will be on the horizon sooner than later that will take the place of current MW's.

I think of all the custom built-ins and large armoires that were made for TV's in the '90's - and now most TV's don't fit them or are hung directly on the wall. I look at the Bose Wave & CD changer we bought when we moved here 12 yrs. ago that was cutting edge, and now looks clunky compared to iPods & speakers.

I looked at MW drawers today for $900+ - for something that only microwaves! And that would be sacrificing drawer space AND what happens to that cab run when that appliance eventually dies & something newer/sleeker doesn't fit that space?

DH & I aren't on the same page with this. I do 95% of my prep on the island. Our new set-up will allow me more free counter space than I've ever had. So I'm proposing we buy a modest size counter MW, and put it on the counter. DH thinks it's nutty to not have it built into a designated space while we're developing a new layout.

He says this one is ultimately my call. Curious to know your thoughts.

This post was edited by amck on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 20:42

Comments (18)