SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mia_blake

Can we talk about greenhouses for a minute?

MiaOKC
11 years ago

Good morning, all! I inherited this little 6x8 hobby greenhouse with my new house and it has seen better days. However, isn't the old adage that any greenhouse is better than none? Ok, that's not an adage, I just made that up.

Anyhooo, I cleaned it out and reattached all the missing panels. The previous owner had used a foil tape to try and seal it up better, but the tape isn't used throughout. I don't have an auto vent opener (yet) but have it on the wish list. Right now I can open the door for ventilation and that's it. I put a min/max thermometer in there at the beginning of summer, and it has gotten HOOOOOT, even with four of the panels missing, so I had thought installing the missing panels would make it perfect to store my hibiscus and palm trees for the winter (and relieve my garage of this duty so I could park my car in there instead). Wrong!

The min/max showed me it got just as cold in the greenhouse as it did in the outdoor air temps over the weekend (29 was our lowest, I think). Of course, during the day, it's a tropical paradise/oven - it was 80 and 90 degrees in there over the weekend with the door shut and pretty cool daytime temps outside.

Is there a way to make it warm enough to overwinter my tender plants? Without a heater, anyway? Looking for a low-cost, low-fire-hazard solution here. I've considered using the foil tape all over and trying to make it airtight. Or replacing the flimsy polycarbonate plastic panels with something sturdier/thicker/hopefully more thermal-preserving, like a polygal panel (like corrugated plastic, sometimes you see political/real estate signs made out of this).

Thanks!

Comments (11)