SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ewwmayo

Crassula tricolor - Spider Mite Damage?

ewwmayo
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My tricolor has been looking a little worse for wear over the past couple weeks. Originally I was thinking it was edema, but now I'm suspecting it is spider mites.

Or maybe it's a combination of the two?

They are quite small, barely visible to the naked eye as reddish specks. I only saw maybe 6 of them or so. It was easier to see the bodies with a 30x loupe. Under a 60x magnifier, I could see legs on both sides of the body.

What do you guys think? This particular leaf had two of them on it. I have seen the very occasional small thread of web around my plants, but none on this one.

And here's a 100% crop of my photograph. It's sharpened a bit with more contrast to try and show the creature. It's small... I need a much crazier photo setup to get any closer or sharper.

Not really keen on spraying pyretherins on my plants (although it should kill them), but it is available locally. I do know that imidacloprid does not work on mites.

Anybody use insecticidal soaps (Safer's 3-in-1, potassium salts of fatty acids 0.75%) on their variegated Jades? Is it smelly?

I can try misting to increase humidity, but I think it's pretty futile under grow lights, which has relatively low humidity and somewhat warm.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Comments (8)