SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vinays_arch

How to close off (permanently) kitchen duct used by a downdraft stove?

AK
8 years ago

I am planning to replace a downdraft gas cooktop with a regular cooktop and install a hood above. The duct for the downdraft stove is vented through the wall behind the cooktop to the outside directly (i.e. the wall behind the cooktop is the rear wall of the house - so it is a short/direct path to the outside). I am not planning to reuse this duct for the new hood I will install above the cooktop (which will have a new duct again directly venting to the outside through the wall).

My question was - once I remove the cooktop and the metal duct pipes below the countertop, how can I close and seal off the hole that will be left behind in the wall - e.g. can I put some fiber glass insulation into the metal duct pipe and put a plywood sheet on the inside (I think I will not rip out the duct pipe for the depth of the wall, i.e. connecting the outside cap to the the cabinet woodwork inside). Also, is it okay to leave the outside wall cap as it is or should I do something with it to close that side off as well.
Looking for guidance on a good way to do this. Thanks

Comments (8)