SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Smaller turkey cooking time confusion...

plllog
8 years ago

I've never cooked a small turkey. I think 21+ lbs. was the smallest, and it wasn't noticeably smaller than a 25 lb. bird. Bigger cavity maybe. Today, I bought a 15.72 lb. turkey, which should be a perfect amount for the small dinner I'm having (I assume there are giblets). But it's so small! I figured I'd better look up cooking times since it's obviously a different sort. Additionally, the turkey man said, more or less, that it wasn't fully frozen, but "icy". What's that??

Websites all say the same thing: 350 20 min./lb. for a defrosted turkey (15 min. for fresh). But they also all have a chart that says 3-3.5 hrs. for defrosted. 20 min/lb. is 5+ hrs. (15 is a little shy of 4), depending on the weight of the giblets (probably a pound?).

I would have guessed 3.5 hrs. just looking at it, without knowing the weight, but, of course, I don't want it to be underdone.

I could do the probe, but I'm really bad at knowing where to put it no matter how many pictures I stare at, and then I'm not happy with the temperature that they say is cooked anyway...

Cooking a turkey is usually so blasted easy! But this little bird just doesn't look like a turkey to me.

Any ideas?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County