SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22590553

Cooking the turkey - questions and slight panic.

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've cooked a large turkey on three occasions. I did not use a meat thermometer. Followed directions, nothing was dry, nobody was sick. Hey always good, right? All with the old oven.

Somehow this year I'm hosting and stuffing a 19lb. Butterball turkey. Since we bought the new stove I use convection bake all the time, but never for that large of a piece of meat. The time should take less and now I'm not sure when to put the bird in the oven so it's out by 1:30. Reading a little last night I saw you don't need to baste a turkey tented with foil if using convection. Is this true? I'll use the meat probe that came with the oven, though I haven't tried it out yet. I used to have a meat thermometer, but was junk and never bought another one. I know should probably check the stuffing temp. Should I just use the probe in there instead of the leg?

I'm temped to use regular old 'bake', but that seems ridiculous. My main concern is what if it's not done in time.

This is for DH's side. I love them all, but don't want to go down as the one who messed up the turkey!

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!