SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachgirl315

Would love feedback on our kitchen plans/layout

beachgirl315
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

First time poster hoping to get some feedback/advice/critique on our kitchen layout. There's not much we can change as far as the actual footprint - we love the floor plan we've chosen - but would like feedback as far as flow, placement of appliances, size of island, etc. Here are the particulars:

- We are a family of four with two young children, planning to build our "forever" home (or at least our 15+ year home - the home our kids will grow up in)

- As you can see, this home has a large formal/eat-in kitchen and no dining room. It's one reason we chose this plan. We spend a lot of time in the kitchen and eat informally but would rarely use a dining room.

- I cook at least six nights a week, so the kitchen is a heavily used area. I bake a lot and my daughter has begun to help, so my dream kitchen has a large workspace for baking, rolling out dough, etc. (That's what I envision the 9' area that overlooks the living room being used for a lot.)

- Appliances will be double ovens, a french-door bottom freezer fridge, microwave (any suggestions as to where to place it?), a dishwasher, and a four-burner cooktop (probably electric because that's what I'm used to cooking on though I do love the look of gas).

- The island is currently sized at 8' long x 3' deep and will house a double sink, the dishwasher, a trashcan, and cabinetry. We envision kids eating breakfast and lunches here and doing homework here after school. I'm thinking I may want it expanded to 8' x 4' but am concerned that it would impede traffic flow. Thoughts?

- Do we need a secondary prep sink or is the one we have enough?

- I have a lot of kitchen "stuff" so all of this space really appeals to me but I am not sure exactly how best to arrange cabinets. I know I want to utilize drawers for pots and pans, etc. when possible but would love any advice.

Thanks!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor