SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

TIBOUCHINA GRANULOSA WITH BRAIDED TRUNK

I am thinking about buying five, single-stem plants, (rooted cuttings in 4" pots) and growing them in a large, 18 gallon container. As the stems elongate, they will be braided, and will be trained into a standard-form, "patio" tree. I'm hoping that the individual, braided stems will eventually fuse-graft together, and form a thicker trunk having a nice rack of flowering branches growing from the top section of the tree.

The patio tree will be grown and trained in Stuart/Palm City, FL. I plan on using a standard, organic growing mix, and using diluted, Miracid as a supplement when watering.

*********************************************************************************************************

Questions:

Is Tibouchina g. prone to scale insects, spider-mites, etc....and, if yes, will Neem Oil be effective as a control?

Does Tibouchina g. drop its leaves in the cooler months, and go dormant?

Can this plant be propagated by rooted cuttings/air-layered? I have read that this plant is very difficult to root by standard methods, and needs a misting system for cuttings to strike roots. Can it be grown from seeds....which are like dust?

Is this a fast growing tree?

Thanks for any help, and appreciate the interest.

Frank

Comments (2)