Christmas memories of my dad
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (17)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
What are your favorite Christmas memories?
Comments (19)Love reading all your stories! Great thread. My sis & I were 15 months apart and we usually got the same thing every year. One year we "graduated" to 20 inch J.C. Higgins bicycles from Sears cira 1958 or 59. They were identical but we realized after a couple of days that the reason we could tell them apart is because my Dad, excuse me Santa had put the handle bars on Sis's bike upside down lol. Believe it or not, she wouldn't let him change them to the correct position. She liked being backwards LOL. Mother always put a lot of thought into our stockings, the best fruit and candies. Daddy always read from the same Night Before Christmas book when he tucked us in on Christmas Eve. It had this red velvet stuff on Santa's suit on the cover. My birthday is a week before Christmas and I believe that book had been a birthday gift. When you have a birthday that time of year, you get used to birthday gifts wrapped in Christmas wrap LOL. We always were involved with the Mary & Joseph manger scenes at the church, and with the Christmas program as my Dad was the church pianist. I was always Mary, apparently because I was chubby lol. My cousins were the other actors in the play each year. Nice to look back on that period, because I don't see any of them very often now. Mostly when a relative dies, or maybe a reunion once a year. And I remember the year we got Thumbelina dolls (they moved slowly when you cranked them up), my Barbie (it had 3 wigs!), and the year I got a Polaroid Swinger camera and GoGo boots, white of course, LOL. Still have that camera, and it always made terrible pics (black & white only), but my parents went to a lot of trouble to find that one, they were sold out because it was the trend that year. The way they found my camera was because my Dad worked part time that year at the Camera and Craft store, and he was the photographer for the Santa photos. I remember waiting on him at the mall while he worked. He had a full time job, and used that camera store job to buy equipment for his home darkroom. That was a fun experience too, developing film. Now it's mostly digital, but I enjoyed doing that at home when I was a kid. Ended up in printing profession myself and got more than plenty of darkroom work later in life. I enjoyed my kids each Christmas, now I'm making new memories with the 2 small grandsons. They're such a joy! Holidays hugs to you all ~tenderlee...See MoreA new memory for my christmas
Comments (13)Advance notice for all you creative types ~ HABAhref> has their calendar up and there is a great even in March that we could attend, contribute and enjoy. "Call for Bowls and Artworks Please Join Local Artists and Craftspeople for HoustonÂs Second Annual Empty Bowls Event March 3 & 4, 2006. The Empty Bowls Initiative is a grassroots effort by artists and craftspeople across the country to feed the hungry in their communities. The Houston Empty Bowls Committee along with the Houston Food Bank and the Houston Center for Contemporary Craft are seeking contributions of handmade bowls and artworks from local artists and craftspeople. HoustonÂs Second Annual Empty Bowls Event will be March 3rd & 4th, 2006. It starts on Friday in the Heritage Room of the J. P. Morgan Chase Bank downtown and continues Saturday at the Houston Center for Contemporary Craft. The bowls and artworks will be sold or auctioned at the Friday and Saturday soup luncheons with all proceeds going to the Houston Food Bank. Hundreds of local artists and craftspeople donated bowls last year. Hundreds of Houstonians purchased the bowls. We raised more than $16,000 to help feed the hungry in Houston and neighboring counties and communities. We hope to do even better this year! Bowls need not be functional! In terms of size, think of bowls for holding soup, rice, tea, individual dinner salad, cereal, ice cream -- or for nonfood bowls for holding paper clips, marbles, a collection of business cards, potpourri, soap, ..... "...See MoreA Favorite Christmas Memory
Comments (8)I guess I was about three years old when someone came to the door. It was Santa bearing gifts for us. I remember peeking through the spindles of the staircase in awe. My father kept asking the jolly old man who he was and I kept saying Santa. The story goes that my dad chased him through back yards and over fences trying to find out who it was. LOL I still remember the wicker stroller and little baby doll he brought me. Shirley, your story about the jungle bells reminds me how I would walk down the hall after the kids were in bed for a while and maybe even asleep and I would jingle some bells up and down the hall. I still have the bells, in fact they are now hanging on my back door and Georgy jingles them when she wants to go out. LOL...See MoreSelling my dad’s house
Comments (46)Sueb20, yes white walls, beams, cabinets and counters, which does got with stained trim/doors/windows which are still there and the travertine flooring - both are warm tones. I even saw a touch of medium gray on the coffee station.... AND they painted the travertine FP surround. The next week, DH wanted to get out and go for a drive, so we rode past the nearby house where we lived for 20+ raising our children. What was a lovely landscaped corner lot has been completely destroyed. I knew they were not "yard people" but had a landscape company. Clearly, cutting down hundreds of azaleas, wild hydrangeas and trees were easier than keeping it up. Two large natural areas now have weeds and/or being invaded with grass. In addition, they painted the top part of the house a dark grey. It looks ridiculous. Obviously, I am not over either of these discoveries. LOL Sorry to hijack your thread. Congrats on the quick offers. Here's to a stress free inspection and closing....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
Related Stories

FEEL-GOOD HOMESimple Pleasures: Scent and Memory
Fragrant jasmine, fresh-brewed coffee, baking bread. Scents can evoke memories and bring sensory pleasure to our homes
Full Story
DREAM SPACESA Northern California Tree House Makes Memories
Designed with utmost respect for the tree cradling it, a cozy house gives overnighters an experience to cherish
Full Story
RUSTIC STYLEHouzz Tour: Renovation Preserves Memories in a Rustic Lake Cabin
A Minnesota lake house remodel updates the home while keeping the beauty of the original structure, built by a parent
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESSay 'I Do' to Beautiful Wedding Memory Displays
You'll love and cherish these creative vignettes, artwork and more that keep the happiness of your special day at hand
Full Story
ORGANIZINGSimple Pleasures: Preserving Analog Memories in a Digital World
Too often our photos and mementos accumulate in computers and in piles. Here’s how to free them up to be displayed and enjoyed
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: A Connecticut Beach House Builds New Memories
Extensive renovations make an 8-bedroom summer home ready for a family and many guests
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: A Stylish Brooklyn Apartment Filled With Memories
Collected pieces from travels, family heirlooms and contemporary finds turn an apartment into a home for 3
Full Story
LIFEThe Beautiful Thing About Dad's Chair
My father had his own spot in the house. His father had his own spot. Now I have mine
Full Story
ENTERTAININGBeat Winter's Chill With an Indoor Picnic
Build warm memories with loved ones by bringing lighthearted outdoor dining to your living room
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZShop Houzz: Traditional Christmas Decorations
Make new memories with familiar favorites all around the home
Full Story0
workoutladyOriginal Author