SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gadgets_gw

A Favorite Christmas Memory

gadgets
12 years ago

My alltime favorite Christmas memory happened in the late 1940s. I was old enough to know about Santa, but of course was still excited about Christmas. And I had younger siblings who were still believers.

My Dad worked in a place where they rarely closed for holidays. He worked different shifts so for a lot of the years, his work on Christmas was on afternoons or midnights, which meant we had our usual morning celebration. No unions so if you took off work, it was automatic dismissal.

When the day came for him to have to work Christmas day, they told us kids that Santa might have to come late in the day. Then the magical night began.

At around 7pm Christmas Eve, we heard jingle bells outside, followed by hooves on the chimney. Mom got all 'nervous' saying Santa must have come early and we couldn't be found awake. She hurried us all into her bedroom, then went out to hide herself upstairs. Soon we heard all this hustle/bustle in the other room. Can you imagine the excitement we were all feeling (even me)?

Soon Mom and Dad made a big deal out of coming downstairs and letting us kids out to see what Santa had brought. Mom said he probably came early when he heard Dad had to work the next day.

Later I found out that Dad had used one of the toddlers push toys that was filled with metal bells. They went to a LOT of trouble to give us our special day.

Does anyone else have a favorite memory they'd like to share?

Shirley

Comments (8)