SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nadya_n

Help me use this tiny bit of extra space in my kitchen

Nadya
8 years ago

Hello everyone,

about a year ago I've asked for help with my kitchen layout. The result was a beautiful, elegant plan that I've been dreaming about all through the contractor troubles, money predicaments and plain old times when I needed something beautiful to think about.

The house is finally up and framed, almost a year later! So last week, I come in for a casual measurement of the kitchen floor, just to double check. Lo and behold, I found out that the framers, in their infinite wisdom, decided to center the kitchen window in a manner that shifted it off center vs. kitchen cabinets.

First, I became apoplectic.

Next, I began thinking what to do.

Here is the dilemma. The original plan called for 2 24-inch cabinet towers flanking the window (glassfront cabs). Due to the move off center, I can't do that any more. What we have is 18 inches on one end of the window, and 36 inches on the other. I attach a plan showing where extra space is.

Additionally, we have 10 extra inches on the main kitchen line (see attached also).

What do I do with the extra 18 inches? What would YOU do, once your tears over loss of symmetry have dried?

A couple of ideas - please share yours!!

I can simply make the cabinets on the right of the window 36 inches wide, and lift them off the countertop. This will give me 3 feet of counter space, which I would use for the coffee/tea center. In a Russo-Arab family, tea is a critical commodity.Practical and simple to do, but destroys symmetry.

I can add an 18-inch pantry. The symmetry of glass fronts would be somewhat preserved. The drawback is that upper glass front cabs would obviously not line up with the 24-inch deep pantry.

I can add an open bookshelf. See above.

ADDITIONALLY, I have 10 extra inches on the main kitchen line.

What shall I do? What SHOULD I do?

Right now, I am inclined to make the glass front cab tower on the right of the window 36 inches wide. And use the extra 10 inches for a very narrow bookshelf. Would that look weird? Is there a better solution?

Above is the extra 10 inches where the arrow is.

Above is where the extra 18 inches are, where the red line is.

And above is the plan showing the whole sad business in toto.

Comments (9)