SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodsideeric25

Should we pay for energy audit if we accepted bid?

woodsideeric25
8 years ago

I am putting this in the building forum because these are the contractors we will be using to do the hvac and energy planning for our new construction home next year, but this issue is in our current home.

We have a 1914 craftsman style home that we have slowly renovated almost every square inch and we are down to the last items which are siding and HVAC.
Because of the age of our house and the age of our HVAC system our energy provider will pay 60% of our install cost for new HVAC but along with the HVAC we must do some other energy upgrades.

Long story short I was going over our bill which we accepted the bid for which was for a new 2 stage 98% furnace and 2 stage 18 seer ac with a wifi 2 stage controllable thermostat and we are having our basement walls insulated, the main floors are getting dense packed cellulose and they are doing some air sealing that we didn't have done when we first moved in.

After the rebates from the HVAC manufacture for purchasing when we did which was around 2k the total project cost is just north of $15,500 and after the incentives from our energy compnay our portion of the bill is right at $7000
that 7k includes some things that are not eligible for incentives and some work that they don't cover our portion of the bill is right at $7500
When I was going over the bill one of the items that came up was the energy audit they run so that they can provide numbers back to the energy company before and after. The cost of that Audit is $450 which in the grand scheme of things isn't much but I still feel like if we are giving you the 15k bid then that is something that should be looked at being waived.
Normally I wouldn't ask here and I would just talk to the contractor but since we are wanting them to do the planning for our home build I thought I should ask as I have never dealt with an HVAC contractor but one time in my old location and that was just a small repair.

Comments (7)