SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
montanapacnw

Why do we set artificial deadlines... And should we?

montanapacnw
12 years ago

Yes, friends, it's depressing but true. It's our second year with a porta-potty wreath, much to our dismay. (Careful observers will notice that although it's the same potty, the same wreath on the same hanger, there is less snow this year than last.)

Our builder, who we know personally and trust explicitly, really believed the house would take a year to build once the foundation was finished. It's now seven months beyond that. We've missed the June (optimistic it now turns out) deadline, the August family visit that was relocated thanks to a nephew's wedding, the mid-November return to Montana deadline, and now it's looking a lot like we'll miss the Christmas-eve-in-the-new-house deadline.

All of these are artificial deadlines. We have a place to live. We aren't homeless. But it's getting me down that it seems like we'll never have a finished house so I'm wondering if the fact that we set these deadlines makes it feel much worse when they are missed, or would it be worse if we didn't set any deadlines at all? Is the fact that we haven't needed to push people and have been rather laid-back about these deadlines resulting in slippage? Does it pay to be harsh and unyielding?

By nature, I'm a deadline-setter and a To-Do list maker, so I doubt I can change but I'm just wondering if suppressing this tendency would help someone else avoid this feeling of failure.

I'll post pictures on the "It's December" thread, because there really has been progress, just not fast enough. If it wasn't so early, I'd stop this whine and pour a glass of Chardonnay!

Comments (11)