SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Using External Hard Drive on Two Windows Computers?

chas045
8 years ago

My backup methods have always been poor and have been based on occasionally copying my user files to DVDs. I am not sure that I actually need a different approach but I certainly need an easier one which would make my efforts more consistant. At one time (long outdated program and computer) I actually got a backup program but never got it automated. Anyway, I just got a cheap (now slightly small, but probably useful for our mostly moderately small files, pics, mail and music) Western Digital WD Elements 750gb external drive.

I was hoping that I could use this drive for both of our computers. we have an old Win 7 (250gb? drive) and a two year old win 8.1 now win 10 netbook, 1000gb (15% full) drive. I had thought I could go to each computer and suck up all the appropriate folders into two computer folders. However, I was reading that there was something different about drives set up for win 8 or 10 compared with older 7, xp etc. Would that hang me up?

I did also see that one can partition the drive. Could that be easily used to separate the computer stuff? Or could the partitions be used for separate actual backup program routines and is that easier anyway?

Comments (7)