SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brianmc7

Water Drainage Advice Needed

brianmc7
8 years ago

I am in the process of buying a house, and am at the end of due diligence. The backyard has a slight slope towards the house where it eventually flattens, creating about 5 to 6 feet of flat yard up to the back of the house. There was a significant water problem in that flat area where water was pooling up. The sellers placed a French drain in the back and laid sod about a week and a half ago. Since that time, we've had only one rainy day - about six days ago. It's been sunny each day since. I checked it out again today and while it wasn't standing in water there was still a lot of slushy areas in the sod. I know nothing about this, so I don't know if it just hasn't had enough time to soak up all the water, or if this is a scenario where standing water could be an ongoing issue. I'm concerned that if it stays wet, then the soil in the crawlspace could stay damp and eventually lead to mold or rotting of the wood. I know it's difficult to offer an opinion without being on site, but was hoping to find someone that's had similar issues or would know if I just haven't given it enough time to dry up. It's not in a flood zone, so there's that positive. Thanks!

Comments (3)