SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathytripp

Need advice on sudden neighbor animosity over water drainage.

kathytripp
7 years ago

For more than 25 years, my neighbors garage has had water running into it from a heavily downward sloped driveway. In 1994 the house was sold to a new owner. Three months ago in 2016, she rented the house to a new tenant who has decided that he should make repairs to the garage to dry it out. Understanding that the houses are very dense on this neighborhood, some degree of my gutter water probably does run down the driveway into her garage. In the rear of the garage, the tenant tore out a truck bed overflowing of weeds- most at the time were 6 to 10 feet tall. Now that all the vegetation has been removed water pools behind the garage in heavy rains. There is a sump pump in my home that has been there since 1989 but was replaced in 2011 and the company ran a drain in my yard nearly to the end of their garage. Over the years a 6" gully has formed and water drains down that gulley onto her property. In early May 2016, I sold my home. I am scheduled to close on the home in a month. The owner is now blaming me for the water woes she has neglected for more than 2 decades and is demanding that I pay to redirect water 132 ft to the rear of the property. The extreme downward slope of her driveway shares no blame for the water. The previous owner built a small approx 10 ft cinderblock retaining wall along side my property to curb water and in doing so, damaged a fence that surrounded my yard. Now that wall is bowing and the fence he replaced mine with sits atop of the wall. There is NO drain across the driveway in front of the garage. She is demanding that I take out that fence so she can replace the wall. If I hadn't sold the house and were staying there would be no issue. But I cannot allow neighbors to do work to the property when I technically have sold it. I am stunned that only during the course of my real estate closing has she ever complained about anything relative to my property.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths