SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
merlena87

Your best new roses?

Sara-Ann Z6B OK
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Of the roses you planted this year, that are new to you, which ones are your favorites and/or your best performers so far?

Michelangelo

Grande Amore

Beverly

Memorial Day

Cinnamon Dolce

Paul Neyron

English Perfume

Paradise

La France

Angel Face

I thought these all performed great for newly planted roses. My other new ones are Grande Dame, Moonstone, Melodee Parfumme, Royal Amethyst, Charles de Gaulle, Frederic Mistral, Heirloom, Brigadoon, Seashell and Poseidon. Most of these are doing okay, just didn't bloom enough for me to judge yet.

Comments (50)

• SoFL Rose z10
    6 years ago

Yay! I bough so many new roses this year and I love to reflect on which ones did well for me.

The one that has performed best for me that is new this year was Dick Clark. I planted a whole new rose garden last year around this time and this rose has out performed my other roses ten fold. Its ridiculous how bit its gotten and how often it blooms and although it does get black spot it shakes it off and just shoots out new growth. It seems to grow faster than the black spot can spread so it always looks leafy and full of blooms.

Next up is Pat Austin. Its bloomed like crazy, grown well and has been somewhat resistant to black spot. Another one that I'm really impressed with is Claire Austin. It has very good disease resistance in my garden and blooms a ton. One that has REALLY caught my eye this year is Regatta. Its only been a few months but this rose has grown very well, has little disease and has gorgeous HT high centered blooms. I'm very impressed with its abilities to hold on to its leafs as its next to two other rose bushes (Veteran's Honor and Double Delight) that have been there a year longer and Regatta currently looks better than both of them.

So far so good with my new Austin rose bed. I've had good luck with Ambridge Rose and Scepter'D Isle as well as heritage and Huntington Rose (one that I grew before but recently got on Fortuniana. Lets not forget The Shepherdess who has performed wonderfully in the year that I've had her. These are all on fortuniana.

Boscobal and Jubilee Celebration have done well out of my Austins grafted on Dr.Huey. These had to be potted up after performing dismally in the ground, but bounced back quickly.

One rose I'm in love with, but hasn't performed as well as I'd hoped is Belle Story. I'll be getting her on fortuniana this Christmas though, so I hope to have more luck with her next year.

One rose that eludes me is Papi Delbard. Its grown larger than any rose I've ever grown (its a climber) but it never blooms. Same goes with Eden. But I'm giving them both time. I just hope they get going soon because I'm running low on patience.

I also have a collection of new own root roses (bands) that I can already tell some are going to do better than others. Pink Traviata is growing amazingly and has already put on buds. Carding Mill has bloomed and is growing very well. I might get this one on Fortuniana too as it seems to like our heat. Bolero and Spirit Of Freedom both look promising as well as Souv. De Baden Baden.

Nahema has also been a pleasant surprise for me. She's on her own roots and in a not-so-great spot, but she pushes on. If Papi Delbard doesn't straighten out soon I may be replacing him with Nahema.

On a sadder note, here's a few that have not done well and had to be shovel pruned.

Oregold and Strike it Rich both had to go. My once beautiful Fragrant Cloud bit the dust soon after planting. (I'm thinking of getting a new one because I just LOVED this one). Lady Emma Hamilton and Molineux didn't survive the transplant when I had to move them from the Austin bed because of bad performance. Jude the Obscure is down to one cane, but I'm still hoping. I also lost my beloved Secret who did so well for 3 years on Dr. Huey and my lovely Darcy Bussell which did the same after 3 years on the doc. I'm thinking of replacing both.

Growing roses in South Florida is alot of trial and error. Not many people grow roses here and its not easy, but for the love of roses we push forward. :)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

Sara-Ann, your roses are beautiful, my favorites being Paul Neyron, Heirloom and Beverly, a rose that's new to me. The advantage of grafted, large roses is that you have those gorgeous blooms the first year, which is tempting for someone like me who is always dealing with those dratted own-root little bands. I hope that by next year my little La France will sport at least one or two of its wonderful blooms.

SoFl Rose, I can confirm that Carding Mill is great in the heat and a heavy bloomer. I regret that I bought my second one own-root because it's growing at an agonizingly slow rate. Please give your climbers some time, since many of them don't really take off until the third year.

My new roses from this year are own-root but were bought in 2-gallon containers so they're doing a lot better than bands. Souvenir de Saint Anne's, a sport of SdlM, is growing vigorously and blooming well. Gruss an Aachen and Pink Gruss an Aachen and The Faun are also doing splendidly. I'm not sure I like Rina Hugo's color, but it's a very healthy plant. Charles Rennie McIntosh is growing very nicely but I keep disbudding it so can't say anything about the blooms, but from pictures I've seen I think I'm going to like it, being a great fan of mauve and purple roses. I'm eagerly waiting for the first bud on Fragrant Plum to open. The rest of my new roses were planted this autumn so are small bands, but I hope I'll have something positive to say about them this time next year.

• Related Discussions

What's your take on this new product for roses? Jaz rose spray

Q

Comments (21)
    If it will protect my rose's from looking like crap in 125F heat I am willing to try it. I don't get to enjoy my rose's in the summer in the Arizona desert my growing season is when most of you are buired under the snow. I dread summers but have to stay her until hubby retires. I am willing to try a product that claim's it will stop the stress my rose's are under in Jul, Aug & Sept. I will not build a cover in my front yard that I have to take down in the winter and apply and pay for a building permit with my city hall. A product I can spray would be easier and less expensive. If I lived in Zones 5,6,7 & 8 I would poo poo this product too but when one struggles with 125F in the hot Az. heat you try anything to stop the roses from being under so much stress. I have tried tons of organic products to help with summer stress to no avail. I am always on the look out for products that are somewhat sold at a reasonable price( I would only need the 16oz size).If you lived here and put up with the ugly leaves, the proliferated blooms you would be looking for new products to stop that too, and they get plenty of water and mulch, I do not feed them in the summer because of burn. I think I will try it, unless someone here has a better idea then building a structure in my front yard. Carrie
    ...See More

Your best short landscape rose? What about Drift roses?

Q

Comments (4)
    We have Peach Drift & I love it. The colors are amazing, always changing & it is has very good disease resistance. Happy Chappy is another really good ground cover rose.
    ...See More

Your favorite and/or best red roses

Q

Comments (55)
    I got Dolly Parton this spring. It's been OK but I'm not thrilled with it. It doesn't have the form I was expecting. Usually the centers are really messed up and it could use a few more petals too. It blows rather fast so it would be hard to get to a show. It also black spots quite a bit.
    ...See More

Hot Garden: Your Best Yellow Floribunda Rose

Q

Comments (13)
    I accidentally received a bright clear yellow that I gave away since it was supposed to be dark purple. It did not fade and did I say VERY yellow, LOL! I guessed that it was Doris Day and now she's blooming in January inside an office building. I think her warm undertones would work great with orange. Assuming that she is actually Doris, she's related to Julia Child. My favorite yellow for performance and scent has been Lemon Spice but she has cooler undertones so I don't think that she would be the right yellow for your scenario.
    ...See More
  • dublinbay z6 (KS)
    6 years ago

My newest roses were hybrid musks and OGRs--no real blooms on most of them, except Felicia, a wonderful hybrid musk that I really like. She was quite bloomiferous--and no BS!

Clothilde Soupert and Ghislaine de Feligonde both put out scattered bloom that looked promising. I'm sure they will really show off next spring. But what I'm really waiting for is my OGR Boule de Neige--healthy growth but no blooms yet. Surely it will bloom at least occasionally next year?

And I have a hybrid musk Cornelia planted later last season that I'm sure will bloom nicely next year also.

And since I have a couple good ones (Love Song and Olivia Rose Austin) coming in the spring, next year should be a lovely year for new blooms in my garden. I can hardly wait.

Kate

• smithdale1z8pnw
    6 years ago

Everything I planted this year is a climber, I have run out of horizontal space. They are all own-root bands & the few buds I had were promptly removed. All except 2 Reve d'or which are sulking, have new growth. They are 2 Raspberry Cream Twirl, 1 Pinkie & 1 Jasmina. Hoping for good things this spring.As usual Sara-Ann your photos are wonderful.

Jane

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for the kind words and thanks so much for telling about your new roses, I hope you all have lots of beautiful blooms in 2016. I love reading about the roses that are doing so good and the anticipation of others improving. SoFL, do you mind if I ask what rootstock your Dick Clark is on? Hope we get more responses and pictures if you have them.

• seil zone 6b MI
    6 years ago

I lost a ton of roses the past two winters. I didn't replace many the first year but this year I went a little nuts, lol! I bought 30 new ones this spring. Of those 30 only 3 really stood out for me as I went down the list.

Above All, the new climber was amazing. It grew to a good 6 feet tall and bloomed like crazy all season.

Crescendo, was another good one. The spring flush had HUGE blooms that lasted a long time. It has a slow recycle time but it did repeat.

Neil Diamond lived up to it's hype pretty much. Darn thing blooms like mad all the time! It does black spot some but with all those blooms who can see the leaves?!

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    6 years ago

I had a few new roses in the garden this year and really all have performed just as I expected or better. Distant Drums was the really good surprise. I didn't expect much but as soon as it was planted it took off. Grew like a weed and bloomed all year long and still had blooms on it when we got our freeze the other week. Shelia's Perfume went crazy all year just pumping out the blooms. As soon as I put JFK in the ground it put out 4 new basil breaks and bloomed all summer. I'll say it until the cows come home. Root stock makes all the difference in JFK. Dark Desire was another nice surprise. Lots of beautiful dark red blooms that have a scent that will knock you off your feet. Four of my minifloras did much better then I expected. Ambance, Cooper, Joy Kathleen and First Choice all went crazy as soon as they were planted. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with my new roses this past summer.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    6 years ago

I guess the seasons end got too me a bit. Sara when I could not think of a thing too say. I do have a few I can comment on. I don't particularly like to comment on first year roses. They have yet to live thru a real winter. Of course two of my roses will laugh ( I hope ) at my winter.

Surprised at how long I waited too get EE My Girl. Got one as a tiny band and one I found as a larger potted rose. I'm getting two more to plant with Campfire. Perfectly matching pink tones. Both plants showed the same vigor. Ending at the same size by fall. No mildew or black spot but a little anthracnose (which was a reasonable amount given the year I had) and lots of bloom.

Campfire is perfect in every way. Well theres no scent but for me that usually means the beetles won't bother them yay. So impressed that I've order 5 more of them. They are getting their own bed with My Girl in the back for height. A dark purple veronica that I have will be planted in between the roses. Maybe I'll add a few dark purple petunia's for scent.

Fire Opal was really nice in it's first season. Lots of vigor no bs or mildew. Anthracnose towards middle of fall. Larger flowers seemed not to last long but quite a few of them. We'll see what it's like next year. So many healthy coral and salmon roses now that I gave them their own spot. Don't like them mixed with other colors. This year was spent reorganizing roses. I so hope when they begin too bloom next year that all looks good. Don't really want to reorganize again. I like the strong cream color in Fire Opal for drawing the others colors together.

Jolie Veranda is identical too Cream Veranda except for color. With all the same habits as far as I can tell. Believe I'm really going too like this rose. Will know more next year.

Above and Beyond had excellent health, vigor and blooms. Still scared about having put in a vigorous climber and still might remove it. Just too hard to lose a rose too rrd. Especially one that takes several years too to build to a lovely specimen. Far more difficult to see an infection on a large climber and the height just adds to the likely hood a mite will land on it. A lot of climbers are on structures or up by homes where mites are knocked out of the air. Mine is further away from house and rather protected on three sides east side is open. Don't know what I'll do yet. We get winds from all directions all year so no prevailing winds.

Easy Elegance Super Hero looks as thou it shall be as great as My Hero is. In first year I'm certain she's a keeper.

Oso Easy Italian Ice was a bit different then I expected. This one and Flower Carpet Amber are more upright growers than the others in their series. OEII is the same color as Music Box and grew nearly as tall. Health seemed fine still cautious as others in the series mildewed here. Pretty bloom and lots of them. Needs moved in spring its to close to Music Box and to tall to be there.

Wanted to stop at this point but Golden Fairy Tale just can't be ignored. I've heard it can black spot some but no disease here in the first year. I consider this as a healthy Austin rose for my area. I expect it to be a repeat bloomer thou it was continuous this year. So happy I got it and I'm getting another along with Caramella. To place in the back of border in front of Aborvitae. Bad spot for mites but shall see how it goes. Will stop for now.

• kublakan
    6 years ago

Another great discussion seed you planted here Sara-Ann.

Alec's Red

Grace De Monaco

Cherry Parfait

Love & Peace

California Dreamin

Neil Diamond

an unkown mauve I bought at Lowes.

I'll come back and enter a descriptor later.

• SoFL Rose z10
    6 years ago

I love cherry parfait. Do you have yours on fortuniana? Mine is own root and its growing rather slowly but its not in the best spot. I might move it into a pot so she can have a sunnier location.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    6 years ago

I'll know more at the end of next year or so how our newer roses are doing... Disease wise own-root Easy Does it, Prairie Harvest, and Earthsong did very well here no spray in there 1st season. Thomas Affleck did well disease wise here in its second season...But only time will tell...

All to young to judge there flowering and other performances yet...

Thomas Affleck in its (2nd season own root):

Prairie Harvest (1st season own root)

Earthsong (1st season own root):

Easy Does it (1st season own root):

• kublakan
    6 years ago

I got my Cherry Parfait on Fortuniana.

6 years ago

Earthsong looks too good Jim. Kinda wish I had not looked.

6 years ago

Earthsong blooms here open wide for a short time but then close back up again...Never seen that before in other roses... ES does well for my local friend who grows roses so thought I'd try it...

I'm waiting for reports of the rose Watercolors Home Run to come in... But just might go ahead and try it next year. (Reg Home run does well for my friend but I'd like to get another color besides red or all pink...)

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.72447.0

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Gosh there are some lovely, lovely roses here!!! Swoon!!!

My new rose great performers are:

1. The McCartney Rose

- tons of blooms, what a fragrance!!, quick rebloom!!

2. Yves Piaget

6 years ago

Very nice Carol! Great shots everyone of your roses!

• msdorkgirl
    6 years ago

Ditto on Distant Drums.

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Thanks Jim!!

Carol

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    6 years ago

I am not sure which new roses did well this year. As I was housebound with a broken leg plus complications, I didn't really see them.

This one however is near the house and when, by the autumn, I was able to sit out on the patio, it's perfume assailed me. I has bloomed really well all autumn.

It is a Peter Beales rose called St Ethelburga. I didn't take any photos this year but here is a link.

St Ethelburga

Daisy

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Oh, Daisy, too bad about your leg. That's just terrible.

I do agree with you about St. Ethelburga - the scent is fantastic. I almost put it as a favorite new rose, but it was a little shy of being a terrific bloomer. It did quite well though. I love this rose!!

6 years ago

Jim I'm getting Watercolors Home Run in the spring. Hope it as good as Home Run.

6 years ago

I'm wishing you the best Daisy. You have been side lined with your leg for a long time. When it does heal properly I hope you have no more troubles.

• s
    6 years ago

The best of my new roses this year are Blue Girl - Nirp and King's Macc. Both showed amazing growth for first year roses, bloomed like crazy and are very healthy here!! (edited 13 Dec to clarify after Jasmines question below: King's Macc very healthy - Blue Girl showed signs of black spot in August but recovered after spraying) The worst, health-wise was Blue River! Such a pity because it is a beautiful rose with a really strong scent but it defoliated completely beginning of August and didn't quite make it back.

Sharlene

• bethnorcal9
    6 years ago

Hmmmmmm... what are my best "new" roses? Well, let's see.... how about these:

DARK DESIRE - has the best deep burgundy color! Could be a little less stingy tho. But I imagine next season it will repeat better.

EDITH HOLDEN - I've only had her for a few months, but I'm much more impressed than I thought I would be. For an own root she's taken off pretty nicely and had a few decent blooms. The color is a bit more oddball than IRIS WEBB in the warmer temps too, which I like!

LA ROSE OPTIMISTE - while it is rather prone to thrips, I still like this one. Interesting blooms that repeat pretty well. The plant grew pretty darn big for a first yr plant too. Gonna be interesting to see how it does next season.

MAID MARION - for a first-yr plant she did pretty well. Lots of blooms and good repeat. Can't wait to see what she does next yr!

SALITA CL - love love love this one! Beautiful red-orange blooms that last forever!!

THE ENDEAVOUR - another new DA for me. Love the colors and form. The repeat is great and I think it's going to be a good one!

WATERCOLORS HOMERUN - probably the best of the new ones. Lots of blooms, good repeat and soooo interesting too. The bees love it! Gonna be a good one for sure!

6 years ago

Great news on Watercolor Home Run! And bees too! :-)

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    6 years ago

Sharlene, on HMF you posted a comment on the Blue Girl page that you would not describe this rose as disease resistant in your zone due to black spot, but here you said it is very healthy. Was there a change in your opinion once the rose had a chance to settle in perhaps?

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Beth, I found Dark Desire stingy too (bare root first year). I'm hoping for improvement too. The color is impossible for me to capture.

I love the color of your Salita Cl. Looks gorgeous!!!

Carol

• s
    6 years ago

Jasmine, you are right! My comment on HMF in August was that Blue Girl had 'started to black spot'. One spray with fungicide put an end to that. I have edited the comment above and will do the same on HMF. Thanks for pointing that out.

Sharlene

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    6 years ago

No problem :-) Hopefully Blue Girl will do even better for you as it matures.

• rosecanadian
    3 months ago

I don't have a best rose yet, they're all just trying to grow. :)

Great roses, Straw! I especially like Yolande and Summer Sun. :)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Well, Ive only received one rose this year, but I hope shell be a favourite as Ive want her for years: Dakota Redwing. I have a few more coming and to pick up so well see what happens with them all. From last year Cinderella, Jasmina, Pomponella and Plum Perfect as well as Autumn Sunset, Paul Jerabek and Teasing Georgia.

• PDXRobertZ8
    2 months ago

@bethnorcal9 how's the repeat on your Salita?

• erasmus_gw
    2 months ago

Some relatively new ones that look promising:

Falstaff In person it's a deeper, purplier red. Some blooms were really big. It seems like a tough plant , willing to grow in a tough location, and it reblooms well. I read Cori Ann's comments about it on hmf and blooms held up for her in very hot weather. It's no wimp.

St. Ethelburga Can't say much yet but it's pretty. First bloom on grafted plant from Hortico:

The Impressionist Nice blend of colors

Colette...it's not only beautiful and healthy but fragrant and has such a nice branchy growth habit.

Moonlight in Paris prolific and healthy so far

Flamenco Rosita

Prolific and healthy...has a lot of vigor. Later blooms were a paler pink. I like the bright blooms better.

Climbing Butterscotch has a range of colors from parchment to almost tan to mustardy yellow

Wedding Cake stiff blooms but to me they're pretty. Oops, I don't have a good picture.

Coral Dawn

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 months ago

So far super happy with Papa Meilland, Gypsy soul and Rosematic fuschia. Do you sense a color theme ?

Papa Meiland

Gypsy Soul

Rosematic fuschia

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 months ago

My top three new roses this year are:

Princess Anne

Arcata Pink Globe

State of Grace

2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Hard to pick a favourite of these latest entries. Love State of Grace, Gypsy Soul and the Impressionist, though! Falstaff is a toughy for sure and was tip hardy through two back to back -7F winters. I find it a very unusual colour with a strong tea scent. My Dakota Redwing is definitely super vigorous and wants to bloom. Ill be planting her out in a couple of weeks at this rate! Ive acquired a few more that Im loving, mainly Brise Parfumee, Blush Hip, Emma June and finally Perennial Blue. I got a few others, but they are still small. I also added a lovely vigorous lilac called Mme Abel Chatenay. Of the roses, Emma June excites me most! She has rock solid birht and shiny foliage here. The flowers ooze charm and retain their intense colour in full sun and heat. I expect good hardiness also as she was bred by the northern Ohio breeder Carl Schroeck from one of Paul Jerabeks most well known roses. I cant wait to see her grow up. Emma June

https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.83363

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 months ago

Oursteelers your Princess Anne is ohh la la. What a beautiful strong color.

last month

Emma June is still a top favourite with fantastic BS resistance, gorgeous foliage and long lived intensely coloured flowers. I wish someone else grew this rose to compare.

• Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago
    last month

A few roses, new to me this season, that I am absolutely in love with:

Nigrette/Louis XIV: Has been surprisingly robust and vigorous in a pot. Love the exquisite color and fragrance.

Well Being: Extraordinary tropical fruit colors and fragrance. So floriferous. A perfect, unique yellow blend.

The Poet’s Wife: Perhaps the best DA yellow I have ever grown. Extremely heavy bloomer with a dense, graceful growth habit. The sweet lemon fragrance reminds me of ’Lemon Spice’ but this plant is so much more reliable! Blooms seem to last forever and are mostly ignored by the Japanese beetles.

Brindabella Crimson Knight: A beautiful rose that seems to have fallen through the marketing cracks. Heavily fragrant dark crimson blooms open from nearly black hybrid tea-shaped buds. No mildew or black spot seen at all so far!

Lady Emma Hamilton: Tops for color and fragrance. Even the foliage is beautiful. I wish she spent more energy growing rather than constantly blooming, but even so I can’t believe I waited so many years to grow this amazing rose!

• seasiderooftop
    last month

@oursteelers 8B PNW , Wow!! Your Stat of Grace is absolutely breathtaking! I'd seen pics of it on HMF but none of them compare to yours. Gorgeous!

@Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago Thank you for your review of Louis XIV! I have been considering adding him next bare-root season. He does seem perfect for pots! I was a little worried about vigor so I'm glad that isn't an issue! Also good to know he has good fragrance! How is the rebloom for you? Does the color change a lot in the heat? I love the super dark blooms on him, but some HMF pics show a lighter color so I'm curious.

last month

@seasiderooftop, Nigrette/Louis XIV is constantly growing and blooming. So far it has been producing a large flush about every four weeks with scattered blooms in between. Color has been a rather steady, very dark red/crimson regardless of temperature. However, it does burn and turn crispy in hot, sunny conditions, but I don’t think that can be avoided in such a dark rose. Fragrance is every bit as good and delicious as Francis Dubreuil/Barcelona but is lighter in both character and intensity.

It is always hard to photograph red and crimson roses. I am sure a lot of the variability you see on HMF is due to different cameras and exposures.

• LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    last month

I’ve been very impressed with my new roses this year, however many haven’t been truly tested yet. I have several standouts so far though.

DA Buttercup. Look at the rich gold color on this bloom! Just lovely. It smells like honeysuckle which takes me right back to when I was a little girl running around all summer sipping on the sweet blooms. I purchased this one because my daughter’s nickname is Buttercup (I used to sing the ”My Little Buttercup” song from The Three Amigos to her when she was a baby 😋) but I am surprised how much I love this rose. It’s growing well in part shade and has not experienced any disease yet.

This one is another surprise to me. Lover’s Blush from Heirloom. I’ve actually been reimbursed for this plant by Heirloom due to the amount of canker it arrived with but I decided to quarantine it in a container and see if I could pull it through. I still don’t know if it will survive but it managed this one stunning, huge bloom so far and I’ve made up my mind to replace it next year if it dies. This bloom is deeply cupped and packed with petals, and about 4” wide wide. It has a sweet floral/myrrh fragrance and while myrrh is not one that I like, there are enough other notes to pass the sniff test.

Lady of the Mist. I purchased two of these because reviews stated how exceptionally this rose performed in part shade. That’s been true for me too. These two have put on a ton of new growth, even as own root, and nearly continually bloom. They receive about 4-5 hours of sun and pump out these gorgeous, strongly tea scented blooms. The drawback is that being in so much shade they are more susceptible to black spot and mildew but I hope that will improve with maturity.

last month

@LauraLG Z5b-NwPA, what is your source of Buttercup? I would love to grow this one.

I forgot to mention ’Carolyn Supinger’ as a new favorite as well. It looks like a perfectly miniaturized old garden rose with a perfect, fluffy, densely petalled rosette form in wonderful and variable shades of purple. To my nose, it has a spicy-sweet clover scent rather like ’Ebb Tide’ and it picks up extra strength and ”rosiness” around late morning. It is not my favorite fragrance but it is unusual and pleasant and the plant itself is stellar. It is easily my favorite purple rose!

• Adam Fischer
    last month

Here is a helpful basic rose types overview if anybody would looking for one: rose types

Have a nice day:)

• LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    last month

@Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago I got Buttercup directly through David Austin Roses (US).

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    last month

For being a tiny band planted 3 months ago, Guirlande d'Amour has grown quite a bit and has even bloomed with several clusters of small, ruffly flowers. Very healthy foliage. I have yet to see how it manages a winter here but I'm very optimistic about this rose.

last month

It is growing very large here with impressive health, bloom display and repeat. With its smaller multiple flowers and fast repeat, Im predicting success. Its an absolutely gorgeous rose. If you have space, concisder Brise Parfum also.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    last month

New to me.....

Life of the Party seems to be a winner for a lot of us. I kept going back for more and now have a Life of the Party bed. I'm copying someone here on Garden Web, but don't remember who. If anyone knows, please remind me. Her Life of the Party grouping is beautiful.

Celestial Night grows so fast and blooms so young, I had to get more.

Mill on the Floss, contrary to some reports, is exactly what I was hoping for and I'm more than pleased.

New last year, Honey Dijon is a clear winner in my conditions. Gorgeous in every stage.

Stephen Rulo is more than just a pretty face. He's such a good bloomer and his unusual color blends well with most other roses.

• PDXRobertZ8
    last month

Life of the Party is a blooming machine for me as well as being wonderfully fragrant. The blooms crisp during a heatwave (over 95), but I have a standard that is newly planted. It might take awhile.

At Last rose is another blooming machine here with a great fragrance. The flowers are massive in spring and then significantly smaller the rest of the summer, but it's virtually non-stop.

Livin' Easy is...dare I say it again...a blooming machine. While it does not have as much fragrance, it positively GLOWS in the landscape. It's outstanding. On an overcast day it looks electric!

Bolero never stops blooming, but I imagine that most of you who grow it already know that. Mine struggles with PM here, but it keeps powering through.

Gabriel Oak is another one that blooms constantly for me. I love how bright the pink is--it's an unusual color on that flat, quartered style bloom. Great fragrance!

Lastly, my Joan Fontaine rose is finally blooming quite a bit more. The fragrance is divine. It's similar to Summer Romance (which I chucked last night because it's obnoxious) but I like it better.