Dublin Bay

Firefighter

Veterans Honor

Grande Amore

Liebeszauber

Chrysler Imperial

Royal William

Forgotten Dreams

These are my red roses. I know longer have Veterans Honor, but I plan to replace it. I do believe my plant was not healthy to begin with, love the blooms. it has been difficult to get Chrysler Imperial going, the one I planted in 2013 died, I replaced it last year and that one hasn't bloomed much, but it is looking better, love the blooms and the fragrance. Firefighter is beginning to bloom more, it is good rose, I think it might have the strongest fragrance of any reds I've had. Grande Amore is new this year, pretty blooms, seems like a good rose, light fragrance. I have Mister Lincoln, second year, not vigorous, but seems to be improving. The other roses shown are all good ones for me.

Would love to see and learn about yours!

Comments (55)

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks! Jasmine, I really should have Oklahoma, not sure why I don't. Ken, I used to have Kardinal, it was a good rose for me too. I drool over minifloras and minis all the time, but haven't tried them yet. Sharon. Francis Dubreuil is a beautiful rose. Iris, thank you. Firefighter is a good rose, even though I know I've complained about its bloom production, that has improved a lot this year, at this point I wouldn't be without it. LFR can produce some gorgeous blooms, it's a good rose! Kate, I love your Baveheart and Eutins, beautiful picture of Oklahoma, I don't think including Red Intuition is cheating, or including Munstead Wood either, those are both gorgeous roses and close enough to red IMHO, besides I always love seeing those beautiful pictures! Also thank you for the kind words about my reds. Also Kate, I enjoy the bush shots, so beautiful !

• kublakan
    8 years ago

After seeing your Firefighter Sara, I HAVE to have it! Perfect.

Hands down, the best red rose I've ever had is Veteran's Honor.

• Related Discussions

Need Your Best Red Rose Suggestion

Q

Comments (25)
    Those of you interested in all the red roses choices might want to do a search of this site for "red roses." Within the past year, there have been a couple long and excellent threads on that topic--should help you a lot. The zone 5 requirement is the kicker. Chrysler Imperial, for instance, is NOT hardy in zone 5, and I'm not sure how many are. You do know about helpmefind.com, don't you? It has hardiness ratings, though I sometimes find them to be a bit on the conservative side. Kate
    ...See More

the best& favorite climbing rose...

Q

Comments (29)
    Hi there everyone, As per my previous posts and my profile I am a relative newcomer to the United States. I emigrated here from England in 2002, arriving 2/14 (just call me a romantic). We live on a 167 acre farm East of Independence MO. The immediate yard is approximately 90,000 sq ft. We recently bought 22 or 23 climbing roses of various names and colours to wend their way through a privacy fence around the inner yard (read flower garden). I also have 20 Clematis to pick up from a local nursery to accentuate the roses during periods of there being no blooms. Or if I am fortunate enough, to have one compliment the other. How close to the Roses should the Clematis be planted? I have planted the Roses approximately eight feet apart. We recently installed a deck and I read with some interest in a previous post about a rose climbing around a deck. I must admit I like the idea, but I did wonder about the thorns being so close to where people will be, do you find this a problem or do folks just tend to be wary of the roses and admire them from a distance. Oh and last but not least I recently watched a TV program where a lady stuck a banana in the bottom of the hole where she planted a Rose, any comments critiscisms or suggestions greatfully accepted and encouraged. Yours with grubby hands. Steve the UKtransplant
    ...See More

What is your favorite rose to show at a rose show?

Q

Comments (2)
    I love pink rose. Pink is basically very beutiful color, so pink roses look really ausome. Here is a link that might be useful: http://c.1asphost.com/Sanganagouda/forum/
    ...See More

Your Favorite Red David Austin Roses

Q

Comments (33)
    I have only two ('Prospero' and 'The Prince'), but I don't know if I'd recommend them for you. They're not tremendously vigorous (mine are own-root), but I saw that as an asset for where I planted them. I wanted them because I grew them once before, and was willing to put up with their "issues" to enjoy them again. If I had the space for some of the more recent (and more vigorous) DA reds, I'd get some of the others mentioned here. I think the more vigorous ones would be better bets in your climate, since they'd bounce back better after Winter damage. :-) ~Christopher
    ...See More
  • Ninkasi
    8 years ago

Mine is LD Braithwaite. It's a baby, not very prolific thus far, but the blooms have totally charmed me.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks. Kublakan, now that VH is a perfect bloom, gorgeous! Ninkas, that's the second vote for L.D. Braithwaite, must be a good one!

• dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
    8 years ago

So pretty Sarah, you have so many to choose from!

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

I just don't have a good red rose.

I would love to have one...but...Mr. Lincoln didn't have one bloom this year. It's just declining every year, and this is its last year here.

I had Veteran's Honor - but it died. the first year.

I have Velvet Fragrance. It stays small - but the fragrance is incredible. I don't like how it shows its stamens so quickly.

Alec's Red is showing some promise.

Oklahoma - blooms twice a season, and not much at that. Although it finally after 5 years has fragrance.

I would love to have an over the top fragrant red rose.

The roses shown here are all beautiful!! I would love to get Braveheart. Can't find it around here.

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

My vote is also for Veteran's Honor as an excellent red. I always look forward to blooms on this rose, not only for its beautiful color and form, but also for its refreshing raspberry scent.

• chavaleh 7a
    8 years ago

I only have two, this is Vet's Honor and I have a Mr. Lincoln. They're both beautiful but in their first year. I look forward to seeing their blooms next year and getting some more reds.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beth, you have gorgeous reds, American Dream is so lovely, and I especially like your dark reds. Karen and Dan, I must say Veterans Honor does seem to be just about perfect, both of yours are beautiful!

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

I don't have a ton of reds. For some reason a lot of them don't seem to winter well for me. I do have Oklahoma which is OK but not a prolific bloomer and very spotty.

And Veterans' Honor which is gorgeous and lasts forever but also a spot magnet.

I just got Black Baccara this year and it's lovely but the blooms are very tiny compared to other HTs, maybe only 2 to 3 inches in size. I have some minifloras that have larger blooms!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    8 years ago

The only one I have is Munstead Wood (oops and also Maroon Eight)

. Love him! He is always changing colors from vibrant dark pink to maroon.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Those are lovely reds Seil and mustbnuts

• Ninkasi
    8 years ago

A picture of LD this morning :-)

• mossy44_z7bwa
    8 years ago

I have three true reds, but to me the camera always seems to give them a slight orange cast .

Velvet Fragrance, a favorite

LD Braithwaite, another one I won't be without

Out of Rosenheim

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

Mossy, your reds are just lovely! I sure would like that Velvet Fragrance. That is one going on want list for next year.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ninkas, gorgeous picture of L.D. Braithwaite! Mossy, your reds are beautiful!

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

My Velvet Fragrance (like you said - more red than that) has a most wonderous fragrance. But it is staying way shorter than any of my other roses. It didn't do very well this summer. I'm going to give it another year to shape up. It exposes its stamens pretty early in the bloom. Mossy - your VF looks way nicer than mine do. What a lovely form!!! I really love your Out of Rosenheim!!

Ninkasi - wow!!! Love the look of that - looks like Othello.

MustbeNuts - love your Munsteads. They look amazing!! How big are your MW's blooms? Mine (first year bare root) don't seem to be very big - maybe 2 inches.

Seil - I love your BB!!! What a lovely color!!! I hear you about the small size blooms, as that's what why Munsteads are doing. Your VH looks sensational.

Danuv - Another fantastic picture of VH!! Well done!

Karen - raspberry is my favorite rose fragrance. Mmmmmm..... VH sounds wonderful.

Beth - Oh come on now!! Sooooo many reds!!! And they're all gorgeous. :) Koronshu (sp?) took my breath away!!!

Thanks everyone for the red lovelies!

Carol

• mossy44_z7bwa
    8 years ago

Carol - is your Velvet Fragrance maybe own-root or on Dr Huey? Mine is on Multiflora from Palatine, is in it's second season with me, and is generally 4-5' tall, a good bloom producer and pretty healthy. I'm loving it.

• Ninkasi
    8 years ago

Everyone's reds look gorgeous here! Thanks for the kind words :-)

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

I either got mine from Hortico or Palantine - so I think they both use multiflora???

Mine is about 1 foot high. Sigh.

I'll see if it improves next year. It was to meet a cold winter outside - left for dead. Now, having seen yours, I'll keep it safe in the garage, and give it another go.

Thanks!

Carol

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    8 years ago

So many beautiful reds! But I am particularly taken with Velvet Fragrance -- sounds very much like what I'm searching for for a particular place in the garden.

Those of you familiar with Velvet Fragrance, can you give me more info. I've checked HMF, and would like input on the following:

• How disease resistant --that is BS resistant-- is it, compared with other HTs?
    • Is the bloom a red red--or does it get a bit orange-red at times?
    • How does it do in heat--compared to other HTs?
    • How cane-hardy is it?
    • Do the blooms tend to fall apart after several hours of blooming? Or after a rainstorm? Weak necks that bend before any kind of stress?
    • How is it on re-blooming--compared to other HTs?
    • How tall? I actually prefer a rose for the selected spot that stays between 3-4 ft tall--although I have a couple around there that get somewhat taller.

Fragrance is very important for where I will place this rose, but I already know it has a good strong fragrance, so no problem there. : )

Thanks for any input.

Kate

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    8 years ago

Rosecanadian, my Mustead blooms are about 3--4 inches across. I have had the plant for three years now. Your's could be smaller due to your climate and how old your plant is. My Alnwick rose has small blooms (about and inch across) while others that grow it seem to have much larger blooms. Hopefully yours will get bigger soon. Oh, my Munstead is on its own root as well.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Thanks mustbnuts! I'm hoping next year will be better. :)

Kate - the color here is a dark red. Necks are strong. Blooms last a long time, but here they open quite quickly.

Carol

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    8 years ago

Since we are expanding red to include Munstead Wood--my favorite Austin--I just have to include a pic of mine.

Munstead Wood--don't you just love that dark, dark burgundy red?

Kate

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Oooohk Kate!! That's wonderful!!!

Carol

• mossy44_z7bwa
    8 years ago

Kate - my Velvet Fragrance is one of my more disease resistant HT's - I've seen 2-3 yellow leaves at the bottom of the plant , never more, and I spray when I can talk myself into it, but not nearly as much as I should, maybe 4 times this year.

It is a true dark red to my eye, sorry the photos don't get the right color, but it is never pink or orange toned. Sometimes an old bloom turns rather purple.

We don't get as warm as you probably do, but we had a lot of high 80-low 90's this year, I didn't notice it effecting on VF. Same thing regarding coldness, we don't get too cold most winters, maybe altogether a week in the teens, and a few weeks in the 20's. Didn't bother it.

The blooms open like most HT's, not too fast, and the blooms last what I consider quite awhile, at least a week or more. I don't see many stamens, it has too many petals.

So far the bush is staying about 4' high, next year could be a different story since it is grafted on Multiflora. I hope not.

There are quite a few buds starting to open right now, I will keep track of their progress speedwise and let you know. It really is one of the best roses I've grown.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    8 years ago

Thank you rosecanadian and mossy for the info. on Velvet Fragrance. I'm very seriously considering getting it to replace Oklahoma which doesn't have much endurance though the blooms are a beautiful dark red. It would be at the entrance to my Perfumed Path--even the name seems appropriate, doesn't it!

I hope a couple more posters comment on the cold hardiness of Velvet Fragrance. Most of my HTs have to be early-spring pruned down rather low, due to winter damage, but then they jump into gear and bloom fine for the rest of the season, so my main concern is do they suffer so much winter damage that they can't really revive well after that.

Kate

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

In my yard, Velvet Fragrance's fragrance is waaaay stronger than Oklahoma's. And much nicer too.

Carol

• parker25mv
    8 years ago

Favorite red rose is Mr. Lincoln, but also have Alec's Red and Love's Promise.

And the particular color hue of Black Cherry floribunda, I do not know how to describe it, it's really something special. It's almost like it has a subtle black undertone.

• R pnwz8a
    8 years ago

Nobody talked about Olympiad.. Don't have a picture of it now but I love it!!!Mr Lincoln is in my list for next spring;)

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I would agree, Olympiad is a beautiful red rose, even though it's not fragrant, the blooms are just about perfect. I'm thinking about getting one for next spring. Velvet Fragrance sounds wonderful!

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago

Here are my photographs of Olympiad that I've shown before. I don't have any new photographs to share, because I gave the rose away. I have a small garden and my daughter asked for a scented red rose, so Oklahoma took its place. The friend that has Olympiad now is loving it. It had such beautiful, healthy foliage and I must say I miss it. I can still enjoy it at my friend's house :)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

I should be banned from this thread because I really dislike red roses. However, let me qualify that by saying that, while I do not like the true reds or those with an almost orange cast, I do like the richness of the purplish red roses, of which a few are shown here. Kate, I have to ask, what is that beautiful pink rose behind Munstead Wood. I'm guessing it's another Austin but I'm dying to know which one.

• parker25mv
    8 years ago

Have an Alec's Red blooming right now. The smell is different from all the other red roses, it has a very delicate slightly sweet almost strawberry-like fragrance. I mean the smell has a strangely "pungent" quality to it (more the 'intoxicating' type of pungent than the bad type).

Chrysler Imperial smells strongly 'rose-like' (damask fragrance) but sharp like alcohol perfume. Everyone has their own preferences but I much prefer the true red hue of Mr. Lincoln to the more mauve hued undertone of Chrysler Imperial.

The smell of Mr. Lincoln is sweeter as well, and not sharp, though from my experience not quite as strongly scented as Chrysler Imperial (although Mr. Lincoln is supposedly considered "very fragrant"). Mr. Lincoln has more of a pure damask scent, somewhat sweet, in my opinion.

8 years ago

Ingrid, I absolutely love dark red roses they are my favorite. It's the light yellows that for some reason have never caught my attention. My moods are always changing though so who knows.

Jasminerose4u, that Olympiad looks so red red, I think I might need one of those. I bought a Veteran's honor from a nursery this spring to be my "true red" but it was in a pot and ended up not watered and drying up when I had to go overseas. I never even got to see it bloom.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago

Dan, I don't think my camera captured the true color of Olympiad very well. It isn't quite that orange. The photographs on Help Me Find Olympiad capture it better, but reds are so difficult and can only be appreciated in person. You are right. It is red-red. Olympiad is a rose I very much enjoyed even when it was not in bloom.

I love red roses and wish I could grow all the ones on this thread. The gardenweb is my virtual garden. Here is Black Magic:

8 years ago

That's very pretty. I agree, I wish I a space where I can plant a big variety of these different reds in a group. One day!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    8 years ago

Ingrid, you asked about the pink rose blooming behind Munstead Wood in my pic above. Yes, you are right--it's an Austin. His The Wedgwood climber. The outer petals are whitish, the center light pink. It is lovely--and quite BS resistant also. I was in the hospital earlier this summer, so it didn't get any attention all summer--but seems to have done fairly well all on its own, I think.

Here is last year's pic of The Wedgwood:

I like to show off the beautiful purple-blue clematis also. : )

Kate

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Love your Wedgewood!!! And the combo with the clematis is amazing!!!! What a sight!

Carol

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    8 years ago

I brought a bunch of roses to the last rose club meeting--the rose that got the most attention was Dolly Parton, a fragrant red HT rose.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of Dolly Parton? I've never seen it in person.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Yeah, I almost got Dolly Parton this year. Just wasn't sure if it would be different enough from Fragrant Cloud, it's parent which I have.

Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

I got Dolly Parton this spring. It's been OK but I'm not thrilled with it. It doesn't have the form I was expecting. Usually the centers are really messed up and it could use a few more petals too. It blows rather fast so it would be hard to get to a show. It also black spots quite a bit.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Hmmm...good thing I passed on it. But maybe yours will improve over the years if you keep it. It does look pretty though.

Carol

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Seil. I've been told it is a difficult rose to grow, but the color and fragrance have intrigued me. At this point there are roses I want more, so I don't think I'll be getting it any time soon. Your picture looks pretty, maybe it will improve for you, I hope so.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    8 years ago

Here is a really large bloom of Let Freedom Ring I cut yesterday--first time I recall ever seeing the high centered triangular form on this variety.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Oooooh!!! Lovely!!! I love it!!

Carol

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    8 years ago

What beautiful roses! I highly recommend Firefighter. In addition to be a great red, the fragrance is outstanding. I cut one bloom and had it in my house and it's scent took over the whole first floor.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

I tried it one year, and it died!!! I've never had a rose do that before. Didn't even give me one flower. I must have left air pockets in the soil or something. I should try it again.

Carol