SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rbond421

structural changes for more efficient kitchen

R Bond
8 years ago

Hello thoughtful gardenwebbers!

I am on the brink of serious structural changes to my kitchen to improve efficiency, work space and flow and connection to the backyard and I would really love your experienced, fresh opinions and input on layout.

We are a family of 5, often with a few extra kids running around, entertain (informally) weekly, host big bashes seasonally and every darn day I COOK, bake and preserve. This is a well used kitchen.

The biggest problem is the back door smack dab in the middle of the main wall. This is a high traffic zone as we utilize the back yard and garden space constantly. There is no view to the back yard, though, only a window to the small side yard over the sink. I would love to open it up to the back with windows and to expand the visual space, even at the expense of upper cabs.

We have an "utility room" adjacent to the kitchen which I would love to incorporate into the kitchen, possibly as some sort of kitchen annex or butler's pantry and include its southern window light. I have moved the washer out, but left it in the image to show that there is water roughed in.

We are keeping our appliances, most standard sized except for the humungous fridge that is 3' wide and deeeeep. We will def be creating a fridge garage "bump" into the utility room. My tech skills are not capable of showing this on this program.

At this point we are mostly interested in high impact structural changes as finishes can be updated later if needed. We are modest folk, just looking for best use of space. I'd rather invest in efficiency than look. (though I love simplicity and clean lines)

It is an 110 yr old 1.5 story Victorian in the city, in the middle of a neighborhood of increasing values that can support upgrades.

Here is our lower level as it is. I have more measurements if needed.

The following is a simple option where we just moved the door over about 20" to get a little more counter space next to the range and make room for a modest island. I added two small windows next to the range. My builder suggested eliminating the corner between the kitchen and utility room to open the rooms to each other. There would be a wall surrounding the fridge, I just couldn't get that on the image.

This leaves room for lots of storage in the utility room, perhaps a pantry(!) Or some other great idea for homework space, art projects and storage. I definitely imagine the solid, uninterrupted wall as great storage, some combination of shelves and drawers.

I have accounted for 42" clearance around the island.

And now we're getting somewhere: below we moved the entire south wall 2 ft into the bathroom, moved the bathroom sink to where the plumbing is roughed in in the utility room, moved the back door toward the south wall even further, added more counters and windows. The island is the same size, but the clearance has increased for better flow.

And the grand-daddy of them all: below we moved the door to the north wall for a solid run of kitchen. While the door is being moved to where the window currently is which saves some $$, there is added cost in covering the outside doorway and adding a small landing porch. The primary benefit of this plan is getting the traffic away from the work area. Though the door way and range are still in conflict.

This is by far the most expensive option and I'm not entirely convince it is significantly better than the above option.

Thanks for your input and fresh eyes. We've been living here for 8 years and I am ready to make the right changes to maximize impact. I'm looking for lots of bang for every buck!

thanks again, really. I am so appreciative of your time.

RB

Comments (40)