How to keep control of my own menu for an open house...
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (31)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
How can I keep guests out of my kitchen?
Comments (39)You have to be both honest and assertive, and it helps to have a S/O who can help. I refuse to allow people to help me in the kitchen, tell them straight out "thank you, but nobody is allowed to help me in the kitchen", let them know that I know that I'm a BAD PERSON to be this way, and then I ask my partner to help distract them. I'm happy to talk and don't mind if they watch, but the kitchen is MINE. We have a small galley kitchen, so most people understand. Our friends know this about me and we can joke about what a control freak I am. BTW pharaoh makes a good point--I've gotten much better over the years at having food ready before anybody arrives, so any last-minute kitchen work is usually minimal; this also helps ME enjoy entertaining more. Guests who are family, and especially when they're staying with you, are another problem entirely, and one I haven't had much luck with solving. When I'm preparing dinner I can play the usual ogre and keep people out but you can't guard the kitchen 24/7 so I try to let it go. I get especially frustrated when people try to "help" by emptying the dishwasher and just guess where things go. Not quite the same problem, but my sister-in-law and her family had already arranged a visit to Washington, DC when my partner and I had just moved into a new condo on fairly short notice. They didn't stay with us but she did show up at our condo, literally the day after we had moved in, with a large raw turkey. It wouldn't even fit in our small fridge or freezer so of course we had to cook it then and there, meaning we had to rummage through all of our boxes to find cooking utensils, spices, dishes, silverware, etc. It's a bit of a family joke now and when she says she is coming to visit we will say "please don't bring a turkey" but at the time I just about threw a fit over it....See MoreIt's HOT in here!!! How to keep house cool?
Comments (23)Is your baby wearing clothes or just a diaper? Skin red with rash? Hope you aren't using Tide as that can cause discomfort as can most clothes soaps. If baby can't sleep with just diaper, you might try ice cubes in a pan under crib, that would cool area a little. I happen to have problems with AC so when it's over 110 I can get miserable .I have lots of ice tea(decaf) loaded with ice, very light clothing & loose, ice in washcloth to wipe over my arms & legs. I did install a window type AC in wall in case I was so hot I was about to black out. Haven't used it yet. Can't have fans. Do have heavy security screen doors(not really screen but steel with holes in it) open doors early & close as soon as warms. My house is fully insulated walls(used car lights while they were building it & stapled it in) guy checked attic in a suit- I said get back up there & walk around as I was up & looked earlier so they added more & I later added lot more myself. To cool things further I bought 20 ft long shade cloth & attached to edge of patio cover & poles that are removable sunk in concrete makes things much easier walking over to pick tomatoes or peppers etc. Cut down water bill too which is good as on restrictions. Can get vinyl outside shades but they break up in wind so you can cut shade cloth to put over window. Good Luck! If baby feels hot & is fussy, good time to give bath right before bed with lukewarm water. That will cool him/her for at least 30 minutes.Is baby on blanket, should be on just a cotton sheet that is fitted over crib mattress....See MoreHow to keep opossums and raccoons away from my house.
Comments (11)I disagree that all possums are transient. We have had a family living near us for years. Like raptors and geese most all of these birds fly away when the seasons change, but there are a number of these critters that stick around. Wild animals need a number of things, food, water, shelter and a place to raise their young. Apparently your neighborhood has all of these available. Appaarently you have a bit of a wildlife freeway going on where you live. They are using the same commute route everyday and marking that route. It does not matter how clean your place is at all, it just means you are living between home and dinner and a drink. Im not certain why this is bothersome to you. These animals do their travelling at night (unless they have rabies in which case should you see a critter outside in the late morning or early evening, you should call the humane society to have them trapped and humanely distroyed) Yes they do carry fleas and that can be troublesome if you have animals. Apply frontline or advantage and that should take care of any wayward fleas. You can also have the yard treated if necessary. These wild animals have a very important role in the natural world. They eat a myriade of insects keeping that population down. You can use a set of rubber gloves to use with a paper towel to dispose of the feces and you can hose down the area afterwards if you feel you need to. Have a pest control person come out if you need, just make certain that these critters are not denning up in your home. Raccoons can cause a tremendous amount of damage to a home, pulling out insulation etc. Once you have your house inspected (sometimes done for free) you can rest assured these critters are just walking by on the way to living their lives....See MoreNeed to get my house more comfortable and bills under control.
Comments (14)You stated you spend $1100 a month with some months as high as $1500. That's about $15,000 in annual energy costs. Any idea how much goes towards heating and cooling? Even if it were half, that is a very high energy cost and you are uncomfortable. You have some serious energy issues that need to be addressed. The house is 5000 sq. feet. Does that area include the basement? What size are the first and second floors? Is the basement mostly underground? You have 9.5 tons of cooling capacity and 197K BTU boiler. It is hard to believe you need all that cooling and heating capacity. I think a lot of energy is being wasted. I assume by geothermal you mean a ground source heat pump. If you didn't have natural gas then a heat pump would be a viable option. Using the the electricity and gas costs your provide I get the following estimates: cost of 100,000K BTU of heating: boiler @ 80% efficiency: $13.00 GS heat pump @ COP = 4.5: $13.02 The heating costs are about the same. If the boiler was more efficient then the costs would be lower. The COP for the heat pump may be higher, but probably not by much. The heat pump may help lower domestic hot water costs, but that number is small compared to heating. You would save on cooling costs. The problem is you have 3 condensers. It is going to be very expensive to replace those. The terrain in Westchester can be diffult. Installing a ground loop could be expensive. Get some estimates but be prepared for sticker shock....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

HOME TECHNew TV Remote Controls Promise to Do More — Without the Struggle
Dim your lights, set up user profiles and discover a remote you can't lose. Welcome to the latest and greatest way to change the channel
Full Story
STUDIOS AND WORKSHOPSGet Your Craft Paper Under Control
A stash here, a roll there, and you can never find it when you need it? These tips for craft paper storage and organization can help
Full Story
HOME TECHSwitch On the Phone-Controlled Home
Lock your front door from afar, let your thermostat set itself and more when you use your phone as a control device
Full Story
FRANK LLOYD WRIGHTWhat Frank Lloyd Wright's Own House Tells Us
The buildings dreamed up here changed the course of architecture — and Wright's home was no less a design lab than the studio itself
Full Story
MOST POPULARHow Bluetooth 4.0 Will Change Remote Control
Manage lights, TV, refrigerators and more through your phone or tablet when the latest wireless technology rolls into all your home devices
Full Story
HEALTHY HOMEWhat to Know About Controlling Dust During Remodeling
You can't eliminate dust during construction, but there are ways to contain and remove as much of it as possible
Full Story
KIDS’ SPACESControl Kid Stuff the Sane Way — Artwork-Managing Strategies
Enlist your child's help in managing creative piles to set the stage for good habits and make organizing easier on you
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNHow to Place Shower Controls for Bathing Bliss
Body jets, handhelds and showerheads are only as good as their placement. Here's how to get it right
Full Story
HEALTHY HOMEHow to Keep Water Vapor From Ruining Your House and Your Health
We help you find out when it’s happening, what it means and how to fix it
Full Story
COLLECTIONSWorld of Design: 9 Cool Collectors and What They Keep at Home
Meet the people behind some museum-worthy assemblages — from a house of hats in Los Angeles to dinosaur art near London
Full Story
OklaMoni