SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goehring19

Full frame replacement without removing interior trim?

goehring19
8 years ago

Is it common to do a full frame replacement from the outside while leaving the interior trim intact? I found the a description of this "hybrid" method as follows:
"For the remaining windows on the house, we used a hybrid method. First the outside molding, the sashes, the balance system and the jambs were removed. (The inside casing and stool were left in place.) The replacement windows (from Lowes) were dimensioned to fit fairly snugly to the window rough framing.
The jambs of the new replacement windows went in tight against the inside casing and stool. After foaming, we put the outside molding back on. The result was no loss of glass area (some windows actually showed a gain.) and the look is just as good or better than that of the old windows."
I have a 1940s cynderblock and brick home and I do not want to do an insert replacement due to the the protruding, frame-in-frame look and also do not want to do a traditional full frame frame replacement the disturbs the interior trim. Any comments on this hybrid method? Is this something a good contractor will know how to do?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012