SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahandbray_gw

Replacing panes of glass without removing sash

sarahandbray
11 years ago

Can this be done? I get that it's not "optimal"--but can we avoid removing the windows and just take out existing glass, measure, have it cut, install with new points, and glaze in situ? To an un-trained eye and with only a few points and no glaze holding the pane of glass in, it looks like it would be "easy."

Window guy I *may* be using says I have to remove the whole window but I don't want to risk breaking the stops inside. He's also the same guy who wanted me to replace all the windows with new ones and now says I should have back-beaded the glaze before I ran a new line of glaze around these windows. Not-going-to-happen!

For the record, I know it's not ideal, but I have now chipped out and re-glazed 30+ windows on our house over the past two months in situ and spent COUNTLESS hours on this project. Strangely fun/fullfilling, but not interested in removing windows at the moment.

***This would need to be done for 8 panes of glass out of a total 42 windows we have in the house.

And do window cutters ever cut reclaimed, 100+ year old glass or is that an upcharge? I LOVE and have worked my butt off to keep the wavy glass with the little bubbles in it and would hate to have plain old glass in there now.

Thanks!
Sarah from Albany

Comments (13)