SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

Cheapo Indoor Light Set-Up...Questions

bronxfigs: New York City/7b
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Home Depot sells.... Phillips 100 Watt "Daylight" 6500K CFL w/standard screw base. A package of four bulbs costs about $13.00 + tax. A cheap way to go if these lights will work. (Selecting proper lighting for growing plants can be very confusing). The low cost of these CFLs is great... if they keep the plants growing, and healthy.

I have a 25 inch tall, braided-tower, Adenium obesum that I want to put under these lights during the dark winter months. The foliage is concentrated only near the top 10 inches of the braided stems, the lower section of the stems and caudex area is bare of any leaves. So....will these lights do the job? I want to use two bulbs to illuminate the top section of the plant where the leaves are growing. Right now, the leaves are yellowing and dropping off the stems. The bare-rooted plants have only been occasionally misted after finishing the braiding process, and have planted into a dry, gritty mix. The caudices and main-stems are slightly soft at this point, and I am not sure if the plants need some moisture. I don't want the plants to rot, but I also don't want to set them back. I'm hoping the plants will re-sprout and start growing when the weather warms up in 2016.

Under these CF lights, will the stems re-sprout new leaves? However, if this plant will remain dormant while under these lights, do I even need to bother with the expense of a light set-up? The only reason I would buy lighting is to keep the plants growing and to extend my short growing season. If I could avoid dormancy and get a good 10+ months of active growth, I'd be just fine with that.

If the CF lights will work, I'll do it. Will a small, red and blue 12" X 12" square, LED panel, work any better?

I have read that Adeniums do better growing under the bluer, (daylight/cool white) end of the spectrum.

Asking for advice. Thanks for the help.

Frank

Comments (3)