SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Conundrum

bkay2000
8 years ago

The question is whether to leave the hosta where they sit or move them under the overhang of the porch.

According to the newspaper, we will have a very wet and cool winter (you folks up north will be warmer than usual). This is supposed to be the strongest el Nino year since 1997.
You all have heard me whine all year about my continuing disease problems, which are mostly fungal in nature. Although the problems have slowed, I'm sure they are not cured. Some don't seem to have huge problems (fragrants), but I think some more have succombed.

With the extra rainfall, my hosta will likely stay wet all winter. (All four of the hosta I had in 1997 survived just fine, but they were not fighting a disease.) If I put them on the porch, they will be drier, but will be close together. A&M told me to not keep them so close. (Rhizoctonia is very contagious, apparently.)

I can't decide which is worse (or better) - dry and close or wet and spread out. With the overhang, might it hold the fungus spores in and make the spread easier from pot to pot?

bk

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert