SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aquaeyes_gw

Tree-eater suggestions for NJ Church Cemetery project

AquaEyes 7a NJ
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

There's an old Episcopalian church in my town, surrounded by a graveyard with mostly 19th Century "residents -- some a few older, some a bit younger. A garden has been coming together on the grounds, thanks to the efforts of the live-in caretaker and plants donated from church members' gardens. I spoke to the caretaker a few times about adding period-appropriate roses, and he thought the idea would be great. I then chatted with Stephen Scanniello about getting permission to take cuttings of some roses at the Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden, and he approved. He also mentioned that if the church allows this spot to be designated as a Heritage Rose Garden, he'd be able to get plants donated through the Heritage Rose Foundation. Stephen is currently overseas in Sardinia -- I've been drooling over pics he's been posting on Facebook of what Maurizio has done over there, as well as many other things -- so I don't know yet what the HRF has available.

In the meantime, I've compiled a list of "first-wave" roses I'd like to tuck into the garden next year. This "first-wave" will be once-blooming European OGRs, as well as some things I'd like to let live in some of the huge trees on the grounds. I'm familiar enough with the European OGRs to have ideas of their sizes, habits, and where they'll work. Not everything has to go in beds already cut out in the garden -- I mentioned how many old cemeteries have roses planted behind tombstones, and I'm imagining using some this way.

So I need some suggestions and experiences about big tree-eaters. While I'd prefer things dating from the time period, there are a few more modern derivatives that maintain the sizes and habits of their species' ancestors. As a reminder, I'm in central New Jersey, technically zone 7a, but our last two Winters dipped into 6b territory for about two days each year -- hopefully this won't become the "new normal".

I'm looking for things that can be planted near a tree and which will naturally go upward -- not lax roses like Wichuranas which would need to be supported to do so. If any I mention have this habit, let me know -- there's also an iron fence surrounding 3 sides which I'd like to drape, if allowed. There are also some smaller trees in the cemetery, so not everything I'm considering is "monstrous". Here are some I'm considering already -- obviously more than needed:

'Erinnerung an Brod'

'Felicite et Perpetue'

'Ghislaine de Feligonde'

'Goldfinch'

'Kew Rambler'

'Kiftsgate'

'La Mortola'

'Mlle Cecile Brunner, Climbing'

'Paul's Himalayan Musk Rambler'

'Phyllis Bide'

'R. brunonii'

'Rose-Marie Viaud'

'Ruga'

'Splendens'

'The Garland'

'Treasure Trove'

'Trier'

'Veilchenblau'

'Venusta Pendula'

'Violette'

'Wedding Day'

Also, if anyone here finds any "extra" suckers -- or trimmings I can root -- of any of the above, OR any once-blooming European OGRs -- and is willing to donate them, I'd be happy to pay shipping to get them here. About 80% of my insanely-long "list of possibilities" can be found in at least one of the several New York Botanical Gardens which have roses, to which I'm hoping Stephen will be able to grant me access. But if their HelpMeFind inventories aren't quite up to date, or if I can get into only the Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden, there are a few I'll be missing -- especially Albas.

I'll share some pics I took of the grounds on November 1st. I'll begin with this plaque on the wall, which is an encouraging sign that this project will be maintained and preserved.

Next are some google images I screen-snapped of the church grounds, which happened to be taken this Summer. This is the east-facing entrance, which is basically full-sun until about 2pm. My "second-wave" of roses will be old repeat-blooming things like Chinas and Polyanthas and maybe some Teas, which I'll concentrate in the sunnier areas.

These two pics are of the west-facing side. This area is mostly "bright shade" until about 3pm, then it's sunny until sunset. But you'll also see where the sun hits some spots.

And now a bunch of pics I took while walking the grounds back on November 1st, starting at the east-facing entrance, going west, then wrapping around the north-facing side. Note the trees on the property.

...to be continued.

:-)

~Christopher

Comments (22)