cranberry sauce...
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (20)
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Canned cranberry sauce/jelly
Comments (33)Reporting back--I decided to use a melon baller instead of cutting the jelly into cubes, then sprinkled the fruit with chia seeds and skipped the walnuts. The mint leaves were all frozen, so I used celery leaves: I used the leftovers of the cranberry jelly, mixed with pineapple juice, to glaze the ham. It was delicious! My impressions of canned cranberry jelly: It was very bland, compared to my homemade relish, but the tart and sweet fruit gave the salad enough punch. It was very refreshing with the baked ham. I wouldn't eat the jelly alone, but the texture is perfect if you want to spread it on a sandwich, which I don't. ------------------------------------------------------------------ Here is my Cranberry Relish Recipe For A Crowd, for lovemrmewey: 4 12oz packages fresh cranberries, rinsed 1 tsp minced candied ginger or 1/2 tsp ground ginger 3 cups sugar (I short each cup by a couple of tablespoons) 4 6oz packages of gelatin--any red or orange--I use red raspberry 2 20oz cans crushed pineapple, drained (reserve liquid) 4 11oz-15oz cans mandarin oranges, drained (reserve liquid) 2 tart apples, finely chopped zest of one orange, or 2Tbs OJ concentrate Make gelatin using the reserved liquid from the pineapple and mandarin oranges, with enough water added to complete the instructions. Chill until almost set--thick but not solid. While gelatin is chilling, cook 3 packages of the cranberries with 3 cups water and sugar. Cool. Grind the cooked cranberries with the remaining uncooked cranberries. I use a blender for this step. Cranberries can be cooked the night before and allowed to cool overnight in fridge. Mix the almost set gelatin, cranberry mixture, drained fruit, and orange zest. Chill until set. Keeps well for several days, and can be frozen. OT, here's a pic of my Christmas Eve cheese fish, requested by my grandson. Brother and SIL brought shrimp, so 10yr old GS had fun telling everyone 'Merry Fishmas'. Diabetic cherry Christmas pie for my father:...See MoreI like canned cranberry sauce but...
Comments (60)As an interesting aside Cranberry sauce is with mint jelly a left over from the days when people routinely ate fruit pastes and jellies of all sorts with their meat. I also just follow the package directions with a little less sugar, cranberries want to jell and a lot of sugar to make the reaction isn't necessary, and then I run the resultant popped mush through a sieve or one of the various doohickies that I have for removing seeds and skins, put it back in the pot with the sugar and cook to jelling stage. it sets up beautifully and I use a nice mold for a pretty shape as people did in the good old days when any table had multiple shaped jellies. The taste is definitely superior to canned but if tradition is why you have it on the table sliced carefully to match the rings on the can then that isn't as important is it?...See MoreCranberry Sauce Cake
Comments (17)mighty fine .. I boiled a bag o' fresh cranberries and strained them ... used the leftover juice to mix with powdered sugar for the icing... a delight indeed...See MoreCranberry Sauce -- What do you prefer/use?
Comments (25)Well, having said I used canned sauce with whole berries, I had quite a surprise on Wed night when I finally started to make my cranberry sauce. I had used Kroger's Quick List - order online, select pick-up time, go to special place in the parking lot, call number on sign, and ones groceries are carried out and put the the car. I've used it before with no problems. Not this time! I opened both cans and started to pour them into a mixing bowl so I could add the fresh orange juice and zest. They had given me the JELLIED cranberry sauce, not the one with whole berries! I'm sure there was a Kroger open somewhere at 11PM on Wed, but I wasn't going to get dressed again and go out. Fortunately, I had also ordered 2 packages of fresh cranberries to use in the Nantucket Pie I take to my pulmonary rehab for our Christmas party. Well, there's a first time for everything, so I followed the recipe on the bag, cooked it WAY down so it was very thick, added the fresh squeezed OJ (don't like to cook it - can make it bitter) and the fresh orange zest. Easy, peasy! And delicious. I will forget canned from now on....See More- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories


HOLIDAYSHouzz Call: Share Your Personal Holiday Traditions
What winter rituals mean the most to you and yours? Post your stories and pictures
Full Story
MOST POPULARThanksgiving Tales: When the Turkey Tanks
Houzz readers prove adept at snatching victory from the jaws of entertaining defeat
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESA Subliminal Approach to Fall Decorating
Get your home in the autumn groove without going over the top, with decorating ideas from two top San Francisco designers
Full Story
HOLIDAYS9 Fresh and Fun Hanukkah Decorating Ideas
Give traditional elements a modern spin for holiday decor that reflects your own design style
Full Story
HOLIDAYS10 Tips for a Calm, Heartfelt Thanksgiving
Go easy on yourself this year and allow some breathing room to enjoy the holiday
Full Story
KITCHEN APPLIANCESConsidering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
KITCHEN COUNTERTOPSKitchen Counters: High-Tech Solid Surfaces Make Maintenance Easy
Sculpted by heat and nonporous by nature, solid-surface countertops bring imagination and low maintenance to the kitchen
Full Story
FALL AND THANKSGIVINGSimple Pleasures: A Cozy Home in Cold Weather
Stock up on these treats and essentials to make even blustery days and snowed-in time feel special
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSGreat Design Plant: Roselle Tantalizes With Beauty and Flavor
Call it a fruit or a flower or a sweet vegetable. This hibiscus is so lovely, all that matters is calling it forth in your garden
Full Story
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10