SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrinavhh

I'm sorry this is gross, but...how to wash kids' poopy panties??

katrinavhh
8 years ago

OK, I just read the fabulous post about hot water washing and germs and hotel rooms and I am totally dying as I realize I have likely not been washing my kids' panties as well as I need to be to be keeping my laundry clean.

I haven't had breakfast yet today and I don't think I will, I am so grossed out! And also immensely thankful, as even though I thought I was a germaphobe I clearly have not been paying attention to water temperature, bleach use, cross contamination load-to-load, etc.

So, I really need to know...what is the proper way to wash kids' underwear that a) sometimes has obvious poop on it or b) doesn't necessarily have apparent poop but probably loads of e coli anyway. For the record, my kids (ages 7, 4, and 3) are all healthy, potty-trained little people, but for one reason or another (I will save you the details!) there is often some kind of "skid mark" or drips or something on some of their underwear. Sometimes it's so gross I just have to throw it out, but I try not to do that every time or else I'd be buying it constantly.

I'm embarrassed to admit this now, but this is what I've been doing:

Loads separated only by color, except for sheets which get their own loads. Especially poopy panties I soak in bleach first and them toss it in with the other lights (but don't add separate bleach to that cycle). My current machine is an old TL with tap-hot water only (but if you recognize my name I'm shopping hard for a new one).

So, what SHOULD I do? A few ideas I'm having...

- each kids' laundry separately? And bleach soak visible poopy panties the same as I have been?

- a special load of kids' underwear, all together, with some kind of bleach at the end?

THANK YOU! And SO SORRY if I've ruined your appetite too!!

Comments (18)