SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brinyside

Need help with paint color above antique oak wainscoting

brinyside
8 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We live in a small 1912 Victorian/Italianate home in a historic area of town. The quarter-sawn oak wainscoting in our dining room is beautiful. We do not want to paint it. The wallpaper has been up for 25 years and we've been very happy with it. Now we are thinking of painting the walls and I am looking for some suggestions. Other rooms on this floor are painted warm neutrals and the entire rest of house has white woodwork. There is no other wallpaper in the house. The room has two windows, but does not get a lot of light.

Although the room is being temporarily used as an office, it is normally set up with the table in the middle of the room and the wainscoting showing all around.

When I think about a paint color, I wonder if something akin to the background of the wallpaper would work. However, it is very similar to the color of the kitchen and rear hallway, as you can see. And with any neutral beige or cream, I worry that it will be just too plain and less warm and inviting than it is currently. We don't want to end up feeling as though we've lost something. We are considering red.

Wall colors are so easy to pick when the woodwork is white, but I am having a hard time finding photos of painted rooms with similar wainscoting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially from those of you who've faced a similar dilemma. We may end up leaving the wallpaper up, but if you had to paint, what color would you choose?

I'm uploading this new photo because we've changed the rug to brighten thing up a bit. Still looking for paint suggestions. We will not be painting the wainscoting. Thank you!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH