SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catieru

Soapstone Wax Residue Turning it Yellow!?

8 years ago

Hello All! We had our Mirasol Black Moon Soapstone installed last May unfortunately by a fabricator that I don't think knew what he was talking about. He insisted we needed to put a beeswax on to seal it and did one coat himself before we knew he was doing it. Then he told me to continue to coat it twice a day for a week, so I did and I started noticing it seemed really residue-y and built up with wax. Not the honed finish we wanted! So then we did our research (because we wanted to trust the professional at first) and read that it is not necessary to wax. So! My DH then went through the painstaking process of trying to acetone (industrial grade) the counters to remove some of the wax - maybe he did? Not sure. This is from last May/June. Now, I've been noticing that there is some yellow residue coming up in some of the areas and I can't get it off. I've tried marble paste, soap and water, acetone and mineral oil and it will not come up. I've tried to post pics of it but its is more pronounced in reality.

Has anyone experienced this and have any ideas how to remove it to just get the nice gray/black and white streaks we wanted when we picked out the slabs? Thanks for any help!!!!!

Hopefully you can kind of see the yellow "Chunks" that I'm talking about! They are a little rough to the touch, but I haven't yet figured out how to eradicate them!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INSIGHT!

Comments (19)