SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcolo_gw

Barocca soapstone looks like Ray Liotta after 2 hours. What else?

marcolo
11 years ago

Got a sample of Brazilian Black and Barocca from the local MT distributor. Both looked very nice out of the box. Two bangs with a measuring cup and one with the Black, the Barocca already looks like Ray Liotta's cheeks:

Only part of that white stuff is a vein. The rest is scratching. When these stones get dinged, the ding stays white. I cook like a Tasmanian devil with tongs, so that's not going to happen.

The Black is very nice and much harder. It has a bit of a bluish cast that may or may not work with my already Crayola-themed kitchen; I can't tell yet. Biggest issue is that it's as hard to get as Alberene and one BEELion dollars per square inch.

I can try some more soapstones. But I suppose I should look at some charcoal or black granites, too. Problem is, I have no idea what to look for. Honed is fingerprinty. Leathered hides dirt, catches on things and rips nipple holes in your cashmere sweaters during important dinner parties. Flamed is even rougher, I guess, plus it may carry residual rage over its mistreatment. What else is there? Skin-peeled? Botoxed?

So you know what I'm looking for:

- A pretty quiet stone that's dark gray to black

- Some veining or mottling is fine, though I don't particularly need the big classic swooping white soapstone veins

- A bit of an organic feel. Mostly because I'm going '20s, and I don't want modern or shiny. A few dings and "distressing" are perfectly OK, just not, you know, that Ray Liotta thing

- No green, nope, none, not one sneaky vein

- NO SPARKLES. If I get granite, I want something that does not look like it

Any ideas?

Comments (121)