SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greg_silverman36

Communal Washer/Dryer Situation

Greg
8 years ago

Hello all, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Greg: I'm new to houzz and I'm also new to living in a house with others.

I adore my 4 housemates and the neighborhood and home we share. We're in a large 2-story in Pasadena approximately a quarter-mile from the Rose Bowl. In short, it's beautiful.

Now to the good part.

I'm somewhat of a stickler for cleanliness. I notice little things here and there regarding how my roomies keep the house. The dishes and sink area, the cleanliness of the bathroom, the tidiness of the common areas. These things have not been messy to the point of my bringing it up, but there have been moments where I've taken matters into my own hands and cleaned someone's lingering dish or swept something that wasn't my own.

This leads me to what brought me to houzz (and forgive my long-winded first entry please).

THE WASHER/DRIER SITUATION

It Stinks! I cannot stand the musty, moldy stench! I will not put my clothes in either of these appliances until I am sure they are smell-free! I've searched high and low and found some remedies for getting rid of smells but what I really think I need to do is perform some take-it-apart-and-put-it-back-together type of cleaning. I have fiddled around with the units looking for screws or clips that I can remove in order to clean and/or remove any culprits of stench. I've also searched a bit on the web on how to really get inside these appliances to perform cleaning and maintenance and have come up short. I've mostly found kits to replace pulleys and bearings with sparse information on overall maintenance.

If there's a thread in this forum for deep cleaning a washer and drier that someone can point me to I'd greatly appreciate it. If there's some general information that anyone can share regarding their trials and tribulations with any similar experience that would be great too.

Thank you for taking the time to share my experience and thank you in advance for any pointers. This is my first time dealing with this sort of thing!

-Greg

Comments (85)