SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosanna040

want to add fruit trees to front yard

rosanna040
8 years ago

Hello!

We bought a house almost three years ago and have a good idea of the landscape now. This year we put in two cedar garden beds (8x4) and they did great! But, I want to do more. My front door faces s/sw, so my garden is on the eastern side of the house. The backyard is more shaded than most gardeners probably care for.

I think I can add another garden bed, which I will try to do. I am mostly new to this, but very passionate about permaculture and growing as much as I can for myself. My question is: the front yard currently consists of ~5 azaleas, two trees that I haven't identified (dogwood, I think), two large oak trees (though I could plant around them). Closer to the house, there are 2-3 bushes (I don't know what they are. They are green year round and have prickly leaves). I want to get rid of most of those to create better space for fruit trees, more blueberry bushes, other berries, figs, etc., but I feel guilty about getting rid of all of it. Is that a bad thing? Did you all get rid of other plants/trees/bushes to make space for what you really want?

It would be nice to hear if others had modifications to make to have the garden/permaculture/yard desired. I wish I had a perfectly plain yard to work with, but I don't. Any advice/support/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (9)