SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thedeterminedbumblebee

Can edited plastic dixie cups be used for young violets?

Elle
8 years ago

Hello!

I bought some new violets from Home Depot and both were under such stress at the store, they grew 3 suckers each. We were in a rush so I didn't notice at the time, but I like a challenge anyway. The new plants were so sick I had to replant their crowns only, and they're going to need new small pots eventually. Now I have more babies than I have pots for, and the shipping for tiny pots online is way too much for me right now. Since it's the middle of November, most stores have put anyway any tiny planters. I could just toss the suckers out, but they're so healthy it'd be a waste.

Would it be alright to buy plastic dixie cups, add drainage holes, and then let them grow in those until they're ready for bigger ones? I'm talking the really teenie plastic cups that are only about an inch high.

For now, most of the plants in need are planted in moist fluffy soil in half-filled 4 inch pots while they incubate in ziplocks. It's the best I can do, but I figure it's fine for now since they have no root systems yet. They all seem perfectly happy.

Thanks so much!

Comments (6)