SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20575877

HELP! Violets need a check up :(

User
8 years ago

I either have the worst luck with AVs or I suck at keeping them alive... I can hardly get them to grow to full size before SOMETHING happens and they all die for some reason. I'm really worried about my current lot, as they suddenly took a turn for the worse and I don't know why...

I'm gonna post some pictures of my babies and if any of you have any ideas of what's going on, I'd really appreciate it :(

#1: Sunburned Optimara

This is the poor guy I sunburned. Its leaves are all falling off and now, after bagging it and leaving it alone to recover, it's looking worse! Is there any way to save it? :(

#2: Ness' Cranberry Swirl

It bloomed a total of 1 time, when it was shipped to me, and now it's all saggy and weird looking. It's a semi-mini, so I don't expect it to get too big, but now all the variegation is gone and the leaves are soft and laying on one another... With this one, I have zero idea what might have happened. It seemed so happy and then one day it just "noped". I tried bagging it for a few days but it didn't have any effect.

#3: Dark Kiss

Idk if any of you remember when I wanted to get a white-leaf violet before I found out how bad white leaves are? Yea this is the one I nabbed on ebay. Its white leaves came off eventually and now the poor thing looks so sickly. It's just been a downward spiral since I bought it and I'm really sad...

#4: Mac's Scorching Sun:

Literally my only healthy violet at the moment, so I'm posting it for comparison. This one just sits there and looks happy as can be unless I forget to water it and then it perks up just fine. AND it's in the attached-base ceramic pot that people seemed to think was bad for the violets. But for whatever unGodly reason, this one is like "IT'S FINE I LOVE THIS POT."

Sorry for the long post... I just don't know what to do. I tried looking at the Dr. Optimara site but I have no idea what I'm doing apparently. Kills my self esteem when I can't keep these beautiful plants alive past plastic-cup size.. I don't know if it's environmental? It's getting colder where I live but since the computer is always on in my room, it's pretty warm in there. That's where they're going to live for the winter, so I can guarantee a somewhat stable temperature. Plus I have a grow light in my room (flourescent with pink bulbs) for the rest of my plants so I figured that'd be good for them. Supposedly this lamp is good for violets but now I'm worried that's not the case...

I had some baby violets that just started to sprout that I wanted to share but this post is already so long so I'll make a separate post for them. I'd really appreciate any advice I can get. My anxiety is through the roof because of these little guys and I wish I knew what to do :(

Comments (17)