SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faintlymacabre

African Violet Roots

quimoi
9 years ago

Here are some photos of african violet roots since we never see them in the photos. The first plants are all in 3 oz. drink cups and are about 5-1/2". Witch Doctor is a bit smaller. They have all been getting too much light but we're looking at the roots :) It has been suggested that Optimaras, variegated ones, etc. are different.

Optimara Texas in Solo Cup. I potted this one up. It had some fertilizer salts in the center which I cleaned off with a q-tip.

{{gwi:369656}}

Photo of root system of Optimara Texas:

{{gwi:369657}}

Small plant of Witch Doctor, mosaic variegated, in solo cup. This one is smaller and the roots are not as developed. I'm leaving it in the cup for awhile.

{{gwi:369659}}

Witch Doctor's root system:

{{gwi:369661}}

Private Dancer, a variegated plant in a solo cup. This was grown from a leaf started on 1/21.

{{gwi:369663}}

Private Dancer's root system. It's hard to see, but the roots have begun to circle the bottom (there are arrows). This could have been repotted earlier.

{{gwi:369665}}

Although African violets are comparatively shallow rooted plants, they still have a healthy root system and the roots go to the bottom of the solo cups.

Finally here are the roots on some plantlets. The first is a variegated plantlet and the mother leaf has died (I think it's Ramblin' Amethyst). The second is also variegated but the mother leaves are still attached. I took these off for the demonstration. The third are two Russians. The mother leaf was snapped off and the plantlets have stopped growing.

{{gwi:369667}}

Here are the plantlets. Ramblin' Amethyst, although small, has a good root system. The variegated Fredette has a very good root system. The two Russian babies have hardly any roots, but they should make it. They will need to be treated more like suckers than rooted plants.

I saved the Fredette leaves just in case.

{{gwi:369669}}

Diana

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!