SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momj47

America's Test Kitchen Founder Chris Kimball Leaves Show

momj47
8 years ago

America's Test Kitchen Founder Chris Kimball Leaves Show

In a change that's sure to send ripples through a media empire built on a thoughtful and rigorous approach to food, chef Chris Kimball is leaving America's Test Kitchen, the company he co-founded. Kimball's departure comes two months after the company got its first-ever CEO.

"Kimball's departure is immediate," says the Boston Common Press, the parent company of America's Test Kitchen, which says the two sides weren't able to agree over Kimball's contract. Kimball, 64, is also leaving his spot as the editor-in-chief of Cook's Illustrated magazine.

At the time of that September announcement, things were already tense in the offices of the recipe-testing company, which has a radio and TV production house at its headquarters outside of Boston. The Boston Globereported:

"America's Test Kitchen has been in tumult in recent weeks, with rumors flying after a staff meeting and an earlier e-mail regarding coming changes. That e-mail, sources close to the company said, indicated Kimball might depart with wife, Melissa Baldino, an executive producer there, to form a new company."

The rumors that Kimball might start a new venture have resurfaced with today's news.

Comments (34)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    8 years ago

I saw that, wonder what happened. Need details!

• grainlady_ks
    8 years ago

Hmmmmm.... This should prove to be interesting.

• Related Discussions

Favorite cooking show?

Q

Comments (43)
    I think there's a big difference between a "cooking" show and a food entertainment show. The problem is, the networks don't seem to think we need both of them, and the entertainment shows are edging out everything else. I love the names Sandra Lee's food creations have been called, including "edible hate crime." Nigella Lawson is really magnetic, and I love her "Feasts" cookbook. I also agree about Jamie Oliver's passion for food; I loved that series where he toured around Italy. I used to love ATK but Chris Kimball just started to annoy me too much. The formula is always, look what an apocalyptic disaster every apple pie/beef stroganoff/ham sandwich you've ever eaten is! Dry! Soggy! Heavy! Tasteless! Overcooked! Raw! Radioactive! Asbestos-laden! Yeah, if every classic were always so wretched before Cooks Illustrated came along, why would we want to learn how to make them? I also agree that the recipes are generally too complicated for what you get, but I have not had the same fantastic results. Just not worth it to me.
    ...See More

Blast from the past - 2000 'Get to know each other' thread

Q

Comments (3)
    Wow....what an amazing list of people.... too many of them no longer with us or active here. It is nice to remember some of their names and their struggles that we shared. Thanks for the memories.
    ...See More

I miss Chris!?!

Q

Comments (17)
    I've always enjoyed ATK and Cook's Country and while I was never a super fan of Chris, I thought the on air chemistry between Chris, Bridgette and Julia was good. I have only seen one episode of the new season, but thought Bridgette and Julia were uncomfortable working together during their segments, it seemed forced. Perhaps they need time to find their footing, but I'd rather see them solo in each of their segments. I bought Milk Street and thought I was reading ATK or Cooks.
    ...See More

In2aqua kitchen faucet VS Brizo, Rubinet, California faucets

Q

Comments (64)
    My attention was drawn back to this thread by someone who liked an earlier post here, and I wanted to update to say that I did move forward with a Brizo articulating faucet purchase in the end and received excellent pricing during a sale at Quality Bath online. The issue with the articulating faucets falling forward has been fixed, so unless you were to order really old stock from a warehouse somewhere, all the new faucets for the last few years feature the fixed joints, and of course, Brizo faucets come with Delta's lifetime warranty. I ordered two of the Brizo faucets in the Brilliance Stainless finish which is PVD stainless steel and among the most durable of finishes available for faucets on the market today. Anything with "Brilliance" in front of the name from Brizo means that it is PVD. Note that Brizo's chrome faucets are merely electroplated, so you'd need to choose a finish that specifies "Brilliance" to get the PVD finish. The articulating faucets from Brizo that feature covered hoses, which is the style I purchased, are all newer releases and so would have the fixed joints no matter where you ordered them. Quality Bath does not stock Brizo in house, so any order you placed from them would come directly from the factory. I'm really happy with this choice and look forward to many years of longevity from the Brizo articulating faucets.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    8 years ago

I'll probably stop watching the show after that. Most of the others on the show irritate me in one way or another, except for Bridget and two guys who test products. Chris held the show together and made it entertaining and watchable, even though I do not make any of their recipes and disagree with Chris's opinions about things. I have learned a few (and very few) tips from the show, and I have bought a few things recommended by them regarding equipment - a Japanese vegetable knife and an All-Clad skillet, plus a pair of shrimp/crab/lobster scissors.

• CA Kate z9
    8 years ago

This happened once before to another magazine that Kimball edited... long ago. I was happy when I found out he had started another. So, like the other magazine after his departure, I imagine Cook's isn't long for this world either.

• grandmamary_ga
    8 years ago

I like the show with the ladies, Bridgett and Julia. I also think that Chris adds something to it. I probably won't watch it with another host.

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

Oh, I'm disappointed!!! I like his humour and down-to-earth personality. He gets along well with Bridgett and Julia and the brunette. I also like the young fellow with the 2-day old beard and glasses.

This reminds me when This Old House changed hosts. It wasn't the same after that, for me and I stopped watching eons ago.

• sally2_gw
    8 years ago

This is sad. I actually like almost everyone on the show, but we mostly get re-runs, so I don't watch it all that often, as there's rarely new episodes. I hope the best for him and others with the show.

Sally

• jakeseacrest
    8 years ago

Jasdip his name is Dan and I like him too

• johnc777
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'd suspect that Kimball's opinion of his worth differed greatly than that of his employer's. In other words, they weren't willing to pay him what he wanted. <lol>

• ruthanna_gw
    8 years ago

Also, this week it was announced that Dana Colwin will be stepping down from her 21-year stint as editor-in-chief of Food and Wine magazine.

• dandyrandylou
    8 years ago

Chris holds the show together and will be sorely missed. What comes next will determine whether or not I continue to watch or buy from them.

• mxyplux
    8 years ago

We get TTA TV (VERY limited programming) and watch Cooks Kitchen while I'm fixing dinner because it does not cause my wife to hallucinate.

It's mainly reruns from 10 years ago. I watch in horrified fascination while they make free and unlimited use of butter, well marbled meat, heavy cream and fat back ribs. Oh yes, and 85% lean ground beef. Uh - is that 15% fat maybe? It seems to be oh so easy to let stuff rest or stand for several hours; by the time they've got something done it must have been most of the day. etc etc grumble b*tch complain. :-)

My shortcuts would probly cause a real cook to hallucinate.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    8 years ago

Dan is one of the characters that irritates me - mainly because he begins almost every sentence with "So..." and frequently begins them with "So, Chris..." It's okay with me if people begin occasional sentences with "So..." but it gets irritating after a while if it begins almost every sentence - much better to find alternative words, if one's vocabulary allows. Dan also seems to have an attitude problem and is very condescending when he talks with Chris - that is more irritating than his overuse of the word "so".

• jakeseacrest
    8 years ago

I will probably still watch it even with a new host. I love Bridget and Julia. Hopefully they will have more of Brian. I think he is so cute

• cynic
    8 years ago

ATK and Cook's Country are among the very few cooking shows aired these days that I watch but I don't find Kimball to be indispensable. From what I've read he's not an easy person to work around and his arrogance comes across loud and clear and his snide remarks and condescending attitude toward the others tend to support what I've read. I don't find him offensive but I doubt I'd miss him if gone, unless he's replaced by someone worse. I do miss Kenji Alt who got out of there quick. I understand there were a lot of issues around that place. Kenji has gone on to do his own thing and frankly, he seems to be doing it better than CI. Whether his organization can become a contender remains to be seen.

And I see (from NPR) "Kimball has already taped the 2016 seasons of the two TV shows he has hosted since their debut: America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country." He will also continue to host the radio program. (At least as it sits now.)

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

I just saw on Facebook that Julia and Bridget are going to be the hosts when Chris Kimball leaves.

• User
    8 years ago

Love them both.

Kimball has always been a polarizing figure, but I've enjoyed his persnickety nature and missives in the Cooks Illustrated magazine.

• grainlady_ks
    8 years ago

That's good news!!!! Julia and Bridget will be JUST fine, and hubby and I will certainly enjoy watching each week --- especially if they don't feel the need to dress up as a strawberry or a pig. I never understood the reason why the "old hippy" (Chris Kimball) thought he needed to do that?

• friedajune
    8 years ago

I am with the people on this thread who won't miss Chris Kimball. I often felt that he has an attitude that if you don't live in Vermont or Boston, you are inadequate. Yes, I am probably being oversensitive, but I do subscribe to and enjoy Cook's Illustrated magazine (I like the recipes and equipment tests). I feel that the magazine will be better without him. Chris' Notes page which opens the magazine is often pompous and self-aggrandizing about "his way of life". I also get (unsolicited) emails from Chris entitled "Letter from Vermont" which go on about the joys of tapping maple trees and making his own maple syrup, hunting deer in idyllic Vermont forest, old tractors, his aw-shucks Vermont neighbors, hitching up horses to a horse-drawn sleigh, and the like. Yet, I hear his Boston brownstone is extraordinary. Meanwhile, I have a hectic job, live in a city apartment, take care of my family, have bills to pay, and am lucky if I can squeeze in some leisure time. So he bugs me.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    8 years ago

I for one really missed Chris's Letter from Vermont in the magazine. Perhaps it's because I too live in the country and value the vanishing country traditions.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    8 years ago

I do not get the magazine, and so I am not up on all of these details. I do like Bridget and Julia and think they will be fine without Chris. I did find Chris's pompousness and arrogance a bit off-putting, but I never took him seriously anyway and never cared what his particular attitudes were. I am more annoyed by people who have bad speech habits, and Chris speaks very well, which is refreshing to hear. I am glad I have not read any of his articles, however, as I am not particularly interested in his personal life. There are certain younger newer men on the show that I cannot stand to listen to, and I change the channel when they are on.

• annie1992
    8 years ago

I like Julia and Bridget just fine, but actually enjoyed Chris Kimball with his nonsense and especially his tastings, which rarely agreed with anyone. He kind of reminds me of my brother, pushing up his glasses and complaining about things being too spicy. (grin) I'll also miss his opening stories in Cook's Illustrated, they were kind of a step back in time for me. I'm sure ATK will be just fine, although I no longer get a PBS channel that has it on, since my television provider decided to switch to a PBS in the middle of the state instead of WGVU in Grand Rapids. They got rid of Create TV too, and I actually liked that. (sigh).

I do have a CI subscription and it bugs me that I can't get the on-line stuff without paying extra, but they don't send me any emails or updates of any kind, just a reminder in the mail that my subscription is running out or whatever. I refuse to give any magazines my credit card since everyone started with that horrible "auto renew" thing, where they just jack up your price and automatically charge your card. Ugh.

Annie

• foodonastump
    8 years ago

"I do have a CI subscription and it bugs me that I can't get the on-line stuff without paying extra..."

Only thing worse than that is paying extra, only to find that extra only buys you access to some of their recipes, others require extra extra.

I find Chris mildly amusing in an irritating sort of way, or is it mildly irritating in an amusing sort of way? Either way, I can't say as I'll miss him much. His bow ties, less.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I find their entire online thing totally abusive. While they say you can get the recipes from the show for free, their idea of free means you have to sign up and get bombarded with stuff...worse than any other website I've ever visited. I hope that if anything changes as a result of his leaving, that will.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    8 years ago

I am not especially interested in their recipes - most of what they make I would never make myself, as it includes meat ingredients that DB does not eat, and the desserts often make huge quantities and have to be consumed within a few hours. Occasionally I will find an ingredient tip that I use (such as adding 1/4 tsp of baking soda to meatloaf), but not the entire recipe. Usually when they do make something that I also make, my own recipes are better than theirs, and Kevin has agreed with this. Lime Pie, Chili, and Tex-Mex dishes are good examples of this. I guess my favorite part of the show is the equipment review, and this has been the most helpful to me. I bought the vegetable cleaver that they recommended, the shrimp scissors, the meat thermometer, and I pay attention to what they say about pans and other items. I often very much disagree with their product taste tests, however, possibly because I do not have a New England palate. If they do make a recipe that I want to try, I record the show on DVR and write down the recipe myself, although I do not have any examples of this. I might like some of their desserts if I decide to make something for a crowd.

I have zero interest in their web site.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    8 years ago

I don't have any strong feelings about it. I also never care much for the long involved recipes deconstructed. And lots of cake. Or the taste tests...jarred salsa and can/bottled orange juice, etc.

I did not know the shows channel but found it last night, channel 166, (!!??)...nice strawberry outfit. (i was looking for Portlandia)

The scone recipe looked good. So i am always am interested in 'hints'.

I don't turn it off like i do some others...just background blab while doing other things.

A bit shocked the magazine does not come with on-line access. That is way out of date me thinks.

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

Consumer Reports also charges magazine subscribers extra for their website.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    8 years ago

Our community library gives us free online access (from anywhere) to Consumer Reports' website, along with a bunch of other online databases. Plus free downloads of ebooks, audio books, magazines, and movies (although the selection movies and TV shows is far more limited than one of the pay streaming services like Netflix).

• powermuffin
    8 years ago

I love to see the techniques on both shows, and the product and equipment reviews. My son gave me one of their cookbooks, which I love. My husband gave me "Cooking School," which includes lots of techniques so that is also a go-to book.

Lars, it is funny that you said that about the "So..." because that is a pet peeve of mine too - along with "like" used in every sentence. I am hearing more and more of the "So..." on air, even in many PBS interviews. It drives me crazy.

• John Liu
    8 years ago

I subscribed to CI for many years, until the articles started getting repetitive or maybe I just learned the techniques that were relevant to what I like to cook. So I have a big stack of CI issues that I can refer to if needed, or leaf through if I'm bored.

I subscribed to the website for a couple of years but never used it much.

The TV show was good, in part because there is so little actual cooking instruction on TV anymore. The Food Channel and Cooking Channel seem to have been taken over by inane reality cooking competition shows. Don't get me wrong, I like Iron Chef and similar shows with actual high level chefs, but watching amateur cooks compete to prepare three course meals in 20 minutes while roller skating on an ice rink and incorprating the secret ingredients of sirachi and strawberries - I just don't think I'm learning anything.

Anyway, I dropped cable TV a couple years ago so I don't have to watch shows just because I can't find anything better on TV. We watch pretty much everything online now, with the antenna reserved for occasional shows on the networks - Super Bowl, Oscars, etc.

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

I haven't had my TV connected to the world for a couple of decades.... but I have seen a few episodes of ATK and Cook's Country. Some used to be on Amazon Prime, and You Tube often has selections.

Chris Kimball never bothered me - but I wonder if he'll be wearing a bow tie in his next career...

I found the hints and techniques helpful, but -- anything "international" typically has the soul sucked out of it, and lately they seemed geared to a diet crowd -- this latter is fine, but I so wish they'd consider the low carb rather than the low fat approach. (Because that's what worked for me.) I do like the cookware recommendations

• cynic
    8 years ago

"While they say you can get the recipes from the show for free, their idea of free means you have to sign up and get bombarded with stuff..."

That's not true. They say you can get the current season recipes online, which is accurate. The problem is many of the shows aired are from past seasons, which will of course come under the pay protocol. When I've wanted a particular recipe I do a search and haven't had trouble finding what I wanted, often there's some variations people did which can improve it. And often, even on the older items you can watch the video of the program segment so you can write down the recipe if you want it.

I seldom watch a cooking show to get a recipe. I watch them for entertainment, to learn and to get an idea on improving what I make. I miss Justin Wilson, Franco Palumbo and even Jeff Smith. Franco had a couple recipes I use but they're also pretty common so I could have found them elsewhere.

The one thing about ATK and Cook's Country that irritates the sriracha out of me is when they taste something it's always the grunts and mmmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmmfff, from both of them as they're wolfing it down like starved dogs. Most other programs will try to describe it but they feel content to just grunt and snort, including Julia and Bridget. I don't get it. Don't they watch what they do? Do they really think people want to see them grunt?

• annie1992
    8 years ago

John Liu, like you I want to see cooking, and I don't want to watch challenges, strange ingredients, whatever they decide might be entertaining. I hated Ace of Cakes because I didn't want to see the cake fall over in the van, I wanted to see how they fixed the cake after it fell over in the van, what tip they used to pipe the shell edging, the recipe for buttercream, what they used to build the bridges. I never actually got any real information from watching it, not even a cake recipe. (sigh)

I watch PBS and RFD TV, sometimes the Cooking Channel, but I seldom have time. I'd rather shovel the calf pens than watch most of the competition cooking shows, as there appears to be more manure on TV than there is in my barn!

Annie