SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ddauksas

Vent-a-hood versus Broan/Best

ddauksas
8 years ago

There are many threads out there on hoods, but am having trouble finding a real recent one discussing Vent-a-hood versus Broan/Best. There are many other choices I'm sure, but my builder is recommending Best (external blower) and my appliance dealer for all my other stuff is recommending Vent-a-hood magiclung. I'm having trouble sorting through all the marketing rhetoric. The Vent-a-hood guy is saying the following:

Our hoods are the best for these reasons:
1) Grease extraction-all
of the grease is collected in the trays or blower boxes. No grease is allowed to
pass through and stick to duct work or motors.
2) Best warranty in the industry. 5 years from date of
installation covers all motors, switches, and parts.
3) Efficiency-our open canopy design allows for a larger
capture area when compared to a hood that uses filters.
4) Fire prevention-our hoods will keep a cooking fire at
the blower level. Flames will not be able to pass through to the duct work. This
is an issue with filter based hoods as the grease on the filters is a catalyst
to allow the flames to pass through to the duct work and create an attic fire in
minutes.
5) Quietest hood in the industry-sone level is below 7
even for our 1200cfm
Hoods on high. Competitors will promote lower sone
levels online but they aren't telling the whole truth. The numbers they are
promoting are on low or medium speeds. Once the hoods are turned to high the
noise level increases dramatically.
6)Being easy to
clean-remove the trays and blower boxes to clean the collected contaminants.
Filters are much more cumbersome to remove and clean or replace.

Anyone know if what he's saying is true? They don't really publish Sone ratings for external blowers, so it is hard to compare what the real sound level differences would be between these two. I'm looking at either the 900 CFM VAH (they claim to be 1350 cfm equivalent) or 1200 CFM Best external blower. My range will be a bluestar 48", which has total BTU output of around 150,000, so am considering upgrading to the 1200 CFM VAH or the 1500 CFM Best.

Also heard from some online that cleaning the VAH can be tricky (not cleaning the pull out tray, but the blower unit/wheel. And of course VAH claims that theirs is easier to clean than the others that use filters/baffles.

Unrelated to the brand choice, In terms of make up air, my builder says with very large houses (mine will be around 6000 sqft) this would be an issue, but again, I'm not sure whether to believe him. Am curious whether I need to have something done about this or just crack a window open when cooking seriously.

So confusing, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Comments (2)