SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drewbuilds

Kitchen Design/Layout Help

Drew
8 years ago

I bought a 1950's single-story home a year ago and am remodeling the kitchen and bathrooms. While the previous owner took great care of the house, it still had the '80s gold stove! Anyway, I've been racking my brain trying to find a kitchen layout that works and flows with the rest of the house.

The first image is the existing layout. It feels closed off from the rest of the house, and there's no place to put shoes, coats, bags, etc. when my wife and I enter into the kitchen from the garage. The plan is to open up 8' of the load-bearing wall between the kitchen and living/family room, and take down the non load-bearing wall between the kitchen and what is currently the dining room. The dining room will move to the much larger playroom, and the playroom will, well, go away. The existing dining room has a 6' wide picture window that I'd love to replace with sliding patio or french doors. Extending the kitchen into that space makes it smaller than it already is, so I've placed a long, narrow desk there and will deem this the transition/office space.

For the longest time, I tried to make an island work in the kitchen, but gave up on the idea because I would like 42"-48" clearance in front of cabinets and appliances. I'm ok without an island.

The remaining images are of two slightly different layouts. The only difference is the placement of the peninsula. Placed by the garage door it tightens the entry (lived with the cramped entry hallway feel at my previous house and hated it), but allows for a much larger drop zone for shoes, coats, bags, etc. If the peninsula is closer to the fridge, it opens up the entry from garage, but reduces the drop zone. Decisions, decisions.

Sometimes one can work with something for so long that obvious things go unseen. Does anyone have experience with a similar layout or see potential issues with either option? Maybe there's a totally different layout that functions even better than these. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (27)