SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

A very noisy wind chime

Bunny
8 years ago

I like wind chimes. Not the tinkly, tinny sounding ones, but nicely tuned with some resonance. [I realize some people don't like them at all.] I have one at the front of my house and three in the back. All have been well behaved. One started sounding clang-y to me, so I bought a lovely new one from Music of the Spheres. Beautiful rich tones, and stunning in black with steel trim. Not cheap, a bit of a splurge for me.

I hung it outside my dining room in place of the noisy clanger. Because it's heavier, it takes more air movement before it rings and really, the sound is sublime.

Until last light. It was about 11 pm and I'd just gone to bed. It was quite windy outside, and that wind chime would not. shut. up. It was so loud. I waited for the wind to die down. It never did. My backyard is small and I have neighbors close on all sides and behind me. I've been bothered by their dogs barking, kids screaming, and karaoke. But I just couldn't lie there and be a noise nuisance myself.

I got up, got dressed, fished in my hall closet for this long telescoping pole for opening the skylight in my cathedral ceiling. It has a hook on the end, like a giant shepherd's crook. Went out into the dark and knocked that sucker right off the hook up in the eave. The sound it made when it hit the planter underneath was undignified and quite unmusical.

It's been cleaned up and for now, it is muzzled and wearing a thick sock on its clanger.

I'm trying to figure out a way to on/off silence it without turning it into a piñata.

Comments (62)

• Kippy
    8 years ago

I had one I loved by the bedroom window, but on windy nights it drove me nuts so I would use a hair tie around the tubes to hold them tight together.

I moved it over to moms and hung it in a less windy area...a Towhee made her nest in the plant right next to it so I guess it does not bother all birds.

Bunny thanked Kippy
  • happy2b…gw
    8 years ago

My pet peeve about wind chimes is the neighbors who occasionally come to their second homes, but hang wind chimes for my listening pleasure.

Bunny thanked happy2b…gw
  • Related Discussions

wind chime string

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks Nod, about what I've decided to do. Much as I hate to go to "wally world." 'guess I gotta. Don't think stainless steel leaders will provide the sound, also a large wind chime probably has 100 feet of string/twine. I own a farm, can see neighbors in the distance, but can't hear them, and vice-versa. Anyone who wanted to cut string would discuss that with the dogs...:-) I thought we were past April 1? Nod, thanks again, Ev
    ...See More

attic fan :noisy shutters slam in wind solution?

Q

Comments (3)
    With the windows open and the fan off in windy conditions this would be normal unless you had a solenoid that would open the shutters when the fan comes on and hold them shut otherwise. With the windows shut you need to get some caulk and foam and get to work cause your house leaks like a piece of swiss cheese.
    ...See More

Wind chimes problem

Q

Comments (20)
    The only wind chimes we would have are those from Woodstock Chimes. Once you hear any of their beautifully crafted chimes, you will understand. We love the sound of our natural surroundings, but their chimes can actually enhance Mother Nature. They're so subdued it's almost like they become part of the natural background noise. And they just happen to be one of our local industries ;o) As for yours....chuck those puppies because I can understand how irritating their noise must be. Here is a link that might be useful: Woodstock Chimes
    ...See More

Do you have wind chimes?

Q

Comments (31)
    Coloredthumb, Thank you for all the interesting information. I have never been fond of chimes, but I think I had only ever heard the tiny tinkly ones. They are irritating to me. My DH always wanted a wind chime even though he knew I DID NOT like them. When ever the kids asked what he would like, he would say a wind chime. I always voiced my opinion of that idea. Dh is hard of hearing and can't hear high pitched sounds, so he could not even hear the sounds that were so irritating to me. One year for Christmas I stopped in to check out some windchimes at a store that carries bird stuff. I was very impressed with those nice deep sounding chimes. This was only a couple days before Christmas and I didn't have a gift for DH yet. In desperation I spent a fortune on a chime for him, so it would have a nice deep sound. We both enjoy it. I know NOTHING about music and the only key I know is to unlock a door, but the thought of lots of chimes working together is fastenating. In our Patio home community we are too close to put the chime out, but there is one house a couple blocks away that has an obnoctious sounding one. I feel sorry for the neighbors.
    ...See More
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I was going to suggest changing how the clapper is hung to something with a hook so you can disconnect it at will.

I have a wind chime and I really enjoy it. But we are far enough away from neighbors that it shouldn't bother them, and it's off our deck so away from the bedrooms so it's not a problem at night.

I've always thought that if I lived on the beach, I'd want an aeolian harp...but I would imagine that sound would drive neighbors batty and I'd become very unpopular very quickly...but I still think they sound so cool.

Bunny thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • User
    8 years ago

"There is a certain appeal to a baseball hanging there." Hahaha!

Repetitive sounds bother me, particularly when all else is silent. Wind chimes, clocks, buzzing lights...even the bells ringing in my head.

Bunny thanked User
  • Star Jeep
    8 years ago

Wind chimes drive me nuts. I like to sleep with a window open and a previous neighbour had a wind chime...so frustrating to have to listen to unwanted sound. I think it's inconsiderate to have one with neighbours in listening proximity.

Bunny thanked Star Jeep
  • chispa
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Another one who doesn't like wind chimes. It has been very windy the last few days and I'm glad none of our neighboes have one hanging outside.

The wind harp would drive me right over that cliff edge!

Bunny thanked chispa
  • patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

I love my windchime! It has nice sounds(IMO)and i'm sure the neighbors behind me must hear it, but i've never had complaints. If I were to find it 'missing' I would know right where to go. ;)

Bunny thanked patty_cakes42
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

It's funny about certain sounds. We have several clocks in the house...antique wind up pendulum types that have chimes, some quite loud. We simply don't hear them....or I should say we seldom do. I think a lot of the time when I'm outside, I don't hear the wind chimes either...or at least not directly...rather they are in the background of my unconscious and only hear them when I tune in, or at least make the space for me to tune in.

Bunny thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • sheesh
    8 years ago

Pattycakes (and others), perhaps those who may hear and dislike your chimes are polite and considerate and have simply not mentioned them to you. I never mentioned the racket to my neighbors, I hated and endured it. Perhaps you could ask them how they feel?

Bunny thanked sheesh
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm a considerate neighbor and that's why I got out of bed and took the chimes down. I also sleep with the window open and respect others' right to a peaceful night's sleep. I have chatted with neighbors (the next morning) if their dog or party disturbed me beyond a reasonable hour. I also take a batch of cookies over when someone new moves into my immediate air space, introduce myself, welcome them to the neighborhood, and tell them how nice and safe and QUIET it is. I ask them to please let me know if anything I do is ever a bother. As if. :) I'm a most excellent neighbor if I do say so myself.

Anyway, the chimes. Three others didn't have to be taken down because they weren't really making any noise. I live in suburbia and when the wind blows it's not like through the trees when you live in a more wooded, meadow-y spot. I can hear traffic noise where I live, weed eaters, leaf blowers, loud car radios, folks on their speaker phone in the backyard so I get to hear both parts of the conversation. An occasional melodious gong doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I have considered hanging my naughty wind chime in the garage, sort of putting it on probation. Despite me being a rather excellent neighbor, I have a propensity for leaving my garage door open in the daytime when I'm home.

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

You go out there and shut that garage door right now, woman! Honestly, that bothers me way more than noisy windchimes (I'm actually a big fan of pretty, tinkling chimes), and not because it's objectionable for me to see into someone's garage, but because that's how so many thefts occur and entrance into the home is gained. I'm just worried about your safety!

Bunny thanked IdaClaire
  • fraker
    8 years ago

Why not install it on a pulley and cable so that it's easily lowered when it 'misbehaves'?

Bunny thanked fraker
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Auntjen, I appreciate your concern. :) In another neighborhood I probably wouldn't do this. I do keep the door between the garage and house locked at all times. I live on a circle, so there's no through traffic. The only people we see, aside from other neighbors, are folks from the senior complex nearby out for a walk. We are all nosy neighbors, keeping tabs on comings and goings. I know, I know, I shouldn't be lulled into a false sense of security, but I have deliberately assessed the risk. I love working in the garage. It means I'm doing stuff with my hands and feeling creative.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Fraker, I like that idea! Got any ideas/links for me?

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

Well, ok. I'm honestly not trying to treat you like a child - just don't want anything bad happening to you! Sounds like you live in a very secure area, and those nosy neighbors are a good thing! Glad you are all looking out for one another. That's so important.

In my old neighborhood, we were cautioned often to keep our garage doors closed. People would be out working in the yard, go around the corner for just a few minutes, then come back to their open garage to find items missing. It was just astounding how quickly and stealthily the thieves worked!

Bunny thanked IdaClaire
  • fraker
    8 years ago

No link. When it comes to home projects I think of myself as 'management' and leave the execution and labor to my husband. I thinking, though, that a small, simple pulley and some rope (in the appropriate diameter/gauge to mate with the pulley) from Home Depot would do the trick. Hang the pulley from the hook you now use to hang the chime. Attach the rope to the chime allowing enough rope to span from eye level, up through the pulley and back down to the ground. Hoist the chime up and secure the extra coiled rope on a hook or cleat on the wall. Or under a big rock...

Bunny thanked fraker
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Auntjen <3

We're talking small lots with no escape route except the way you came in. No running through yards or over fences. Anyway, I can't live in fear. Three cheers for nosy neighbors!!! My life is an open book.

My garage is my Guy-ville. When my husband was alive, I never lingered there. Now it's a space I love, esp. my workbench.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8 years ago

Thinking you might simply use a rope over a branch or similar, that could be secured to a cleat somewhere for raising/lowering?

But I confess I'm partial to the idea of hanging it in a more sheltered spot where the ringing might be "on demand".

Bunny thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Fraker, I'm gonna give this some thought. Something new to learn!! My dad was a bit of a Rube Goldberg and could generally find a solution for anything. I would like it to be a somewhat attractive-looking pulley, because I think the wind chime is really nice looking too.

• User
    8 years ago

That has a disc clapper, right? Try putting a rubber band around it, the wide kind that comes on broccoli. I use them for opening jars so they should stay on the clapper if it's thick enough.

Bunny thanked User
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

carolb, I believe you are right about relocating the chime to a more sheltered area. This one is/was near the corner of my house and I suspect there's a little more wind action there.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mayflowers, yes, disc clapper. Good idea. The trick is to subdue it, not totally silence it. The sock it's currently wearing has taken care of that.

• fraker
    8 years ago

I can't imagine you'd need a pulley more than about 2-3" long, perhaps even smaller. A wind chime can't weigh much. Get thee to the hardware store. Ask a few questions, explain your predicament. You can do this! Dad would be proud.

Bunny thanked fraker
  • User
    8 years ago

You put a sock on it??!! But a rubber band is so much more attractive. If you plan carefully, you can find blue, purple, green, and red rubber bands and change them seasonally.

hehe

Bunny thanked User
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

I didn't want to chance it so I specifically asked my neighbors on each side of me, we have none behind, if my wind chimes could be heard and if they bother them. Both said that they could not hear them so no worries. My neighbor I am very good friends with said she would enjoy it if she could hear it, she has several of them on her own property but I can't hear them. We have so many really big trees and bushes it blocks a lot of sounds. I prefer to ask just to make sure it's not bothersome, it's what I would want done for me, and it's easy.

I have some in my atrium, they don't get much wind in there but occasionally we do and I can enjoy them from the living room.

Bunny thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Fraker: Get thee to the hardware store.

Music to my ears. I would much rather muck around in a hardware store than look for the perfect accessory for my coffee table. Which happens to be magazines anyway.

I don't have a single scale in my house so I held the chimes in one hand and a 5-lb. free weight in the other. I think it's a little heavier than 5 lbs. The pulley at the top wouldn't bother me since the hook is in the eave support (joist? strut?) partially hidden by the eave trim. I'm thinking about the actual cord/rope that would be used. I would like strong, thin and black.

MF, yep, a sock. A perfect little Hue made the ultimate sacrifice. It's cute, but not something I'd want to futz with in the middle of the night when the wind kicks up. I will try a wide rubber band.

This WC has been in that particular spot for a couple of months. It takes more than a mild breeze to make it sound, and when it does, it's often just one sonorous note. Very nice.

I'll ask my favorite neighbors about it. They also have WCs so it's not like they hate them outright. They'll be honest and very nice about it. They will laugh when I tell them about knocking it down like a piñata and if they heard it clanging.

• 3katz4me
    8 years ago

I once had a neighbor with wind chimes. It drove me nuts as I can't stand them. I went over one day when they were gone and took the noisemaker down and laid it on their picnic table. Fortunately we moved shortly after that so I didn't go any further with it after they put it back up.

Bunny thanked 3katz4me
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh gibby. :0

Today it's very windy again. My remaining wind chimes are singing a bit, but nothing remarkable. Since all our bedrooms are in the back of our houses, I may move the tempered wind chime out front.

I understand that some of you don't like them, at all. I hate most background music in offices, esp. when it's lite rock. I hate it.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I gave the wind chime another chance and hung it at the front of my house, which is more protected from the prevailing breezes. It seemed loud from within my house (with the door open), but when I walked to the sidewalk, it was barely audible, so not intruding into the neighbors' ear space.

It lasted two days. It drove ME crazy. Too loud. It really makes a beautiful sound, even playing snatches of Amazing Grace, but it was too much. Too deep, or something. It needs to be re-homed on a larger parcel. It needs to be appreciated from a distance.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Errant, what kind of clapper does it have? I found that many wooden wind catchers refuse to move much in the breeze. I now make my own star-shaped wind catchers out of flashing, which is easy to cut. That can make all the difference.

• Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

I love wind chimes. Any noise that distracts me from this darn tinnitus is a blessed relief!

Bunny thanked Holly- Kay
  • debrak_2008
    7 years ago

Linelle, I'm not sure what size yours is but we have what seems like a medium sized wind chime and it makes just a light tinkling sound when there is wind. We have it hanging in the most windy spot of the yard but it takes a decent breeze to make it move. We tried many in the store and it seemed most of the larger ones were too loud. Wind chimes all make different sounds. Some are heavier some are very light. We sleep with windows open in good weather and I enjoy the listening to the sound as I fall asleep. Maybe you just need to find another.

Bunny thanked debrak_2008
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Debrak, this one has 1-3/16" diameter tubes and is 38" long and weighs 5 lbs. (as per the website). The tubes really resonate. I think its quality, solid build is part of the problem. It's loud and the notes are more sustained.

Besides this one coming down in the wind last November, there was another one outside my bedroom acting up. I couldn't reach it, so I cut off its wind catcher and forgot about it. Yesterday I fashioned a new wind catcher and hung it in front of my house. It's perfect. When it chimes, it's just a whisper, not Big Ben.

• Jean Wald
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

okay, I just purchased and hung up a super nice set of Corinthian Bell Chimes as well as a smaller Carson Wind chime...wish to NOT disturb the neighbors at night...so as I thought of solutions I suddenly developed the following: Paper/wax cover bowl or even a cheap plastic bowl (like SOLO) that a scissors can cut...flip upside down, put mark in center and puncture top with pen or nail to create a hole for the clapper string, draw a line from the hole to the edge of the bowl--nice and straight. Cut On the line only to the hole. NOW you can slide the string through the cut to center the bowl OVER the clapper...NO NOISE!!!! I did this with BOTH chimes trimming around the edge of the bowl for fit...if this continues to work I may also adjust using a Solo cup the same way. I am SOOOOO happy!!! https://www.facebook.com/jean.wald.7/videos/1924705377591922/

Bunny thanked Jean Wald
  • Jean Wald
    5 years ago

I have decided that if I need MORE noise, I will plug in a fan and let er go!

Bunny thanked Jean Wald
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was surprised to get a notification that there was a comment on this thread. I’d forgotten all about it. I ended up giving the chimes to a friend who lives on 200 acres and can handle a bigger sound than I.

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

Maybe that post was spam???

Bunny thanked sushipup1
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hahaha. That’ll teach me to not even read the darn thing. Or maybe that was a better plan. ;-)

• dedtired
    5 years ago

I got a laugh out of rereading this. I commented that the neighbors were renters and they and their wind chime would be gone soon enough. The joke is on me. They bought the house and the freaking wind chime is still there, along with a yappy litlle dog. Now child number three is on the way. Oh yay. To be honest, the kids are cute and the husband is a nice guy. It’s the wife and the wind chimes I can’t stand.

Bunny thanked dedtired
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'll take wind chimes over a yappy dog any day.

• dedtired
    5 years ago

Lucky me, I've got both right over the fence.

Bunny thanked dedtired
  • ccrunneroklahoma
    5 years ago

Dedtired, I can relate! I’ve got 2 yappy dogs and a gargantuan 6’ wind chime over the fence. I’ve spent so many sleepless nights listening to that wind chime and been woken up countless mornings by the yappy dogs.

Bunny thanked ccrunneroklahoma
  • dedtired
    5 years ago

Ccrunner, you have my sympathy. I think I will get a bazooka and blast the damn wind chime.

Bunny thanked dedtired
  • User
    5 years ago

I need to give it to my neighbor. He has tomatoes next to his house and he hung aluminum pie plates so they would clank and spin to scare the birds away from his tomatoes.

Nothing like that on a windy night. It's about 20 feet from my bedroom and drives me crazy all day.

Bunny thanked User
  • dedtired
    5 years ago

Do people think noise stops at the property line?

Bunny thanked dedtired
  • suero
    5 years ago

My neighbors had wind chimes. I bought the house and took down the chimes.

Bunny thanked suero
  • Manny Martinez
    2 years ago

Very simple solution guys.

Just go to an office store and buy couple of those round color magnetic pieces that people use on magnetic boards and place them side by side on an even way on the Shime sail.

The chime sail will get a little heavy and wont go crazy all the time.

Bunny thanked Manny Martinez
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    2 years ago

But Manny, what if the sail is made of wood?

I do find that the trick to increasing/decreasing the sound is in the sail size and material and the length it hangs.

I miss that beautiful black chime that played snippets of Amazing Grace, but it needed a more spacious venue than I could provide.

• HU-583508881
    2 years ago

I read you can try putting a cotton ball in each tube to soften the sound.