SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Do you have wind chimes?

alisande
14 years ago

When my parents lived in Florida, one of their neighbors was over-equipped with wind chimes. It was definitely too much of a good thing, and it turned me off wind chimes for decades. I have a strong affection for the natural sounds of the outdoors (except for cars and four-wheelers going by). But a friend gave me wind chimes for my birthday six years ago, and I've grown quite fond of them. The pipes are pretty big, and they have a deeper sound than any of my parents' neighbor's. They don't chime very often, which makes them all the more appealing, I think.

I've been wanting another set of chimes to add to this one (uh-oh, am I in danger of becoming over-equipped??), but was put off by the prices of the decent ones. I went looking again after Mother's Day, thinking I would buy myself a present. After going to websites where you could listen to each of the models, I was drawn to the resonant, sustained notes of the Corinthian Bells chimes.I chose one at the bottom of their line. I was hoping to find it at Amazon, which discounts Woodstock wind chimes rather nicely, but then didn't have it. Then I found it on sale (40% off) at windchime.com.

If you're curious, you can see and hear these chimes by going here. It's not where I bought them, though. (I paid $36.)

So, who else is chiming? Do you like the high, light sounds, the deep bells, or something in between?

Comments (31)

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

Have indoor solar wind chimes and love them!

• coloredthumb
    14 years ago

I do indeed have wind chimes. 8 to be exact. They are all in the same key and do sound nice.

I understand the wind chime overload situation very well. I also had a neighbor with no idea wind chimes were not meant to hang on every available space and all have a different key. I listen to the cacophony of tinkles, clangs, rings and pings long enough to finally go talk with her. When something you really like sets your teeth on edge it is time to do something. When we got done taking down over 100 chimes and arranging 30 (You can't have to many if they are the right ones.) to be rehung she was very happy and much more relaxed. Which is why she kept hanging chimes to begin with. Now she knows how to select the sound she wants and all her neighbors are happier.
    CT

• Related Discussions

Starting the New Year with a special wind chime project

Q

Comments (2)
    Unbelieveable - that's not a wind chime - that's a huge work of art! What a beautiful creation you've made... thanks for sharing it and keeping your resolution
    ...See More

Listen Online to Some of the Coolest Wind Chimes Ever!

Q

Comments (12)
    OK, "The Secret/Law Of Attraction" must be working for me, since yesterday a friend called and needed some computer work done, which earned me $70, then I went to eBay and they had the Soprano's for $55 (a lot better than the $80 retail price!), and after shipping, it came out to be $70.30! BTW, I decided on the Pentatonic/Soprano, since the further down the list I went, the more harmonic (and distorted for my taste) the sounds got for me. Now I need to attract the Westminster set to me! Here is a link that might be useful: Pentatonic/Soprano
    ...See More

Wind Chimes

Q

Comments (64)
    Aprile, I am so sorry you have such a horrible reaction to the wind chimes and I'm appalled that your neighbor treated so unkindly. I have wind chimes outside my back door and I love them. My house is very close to my neighbor's, so I did ask if the wind chimes bothered them. They assured me they did not and in fact they liked hearing them. But I would say this, if any of my neighbors came to me with a situation such as yours, I would be the first one to take down the chimes. Yes, I certainly would have the right to keep them up, but I can't believe that people cannot have compassion for someone that truly suffers from something that can be changed. I hope that if that was the case, that person would approach me. I will keep my chimes up and enjoy them until I am aware that they are a problem to someone else. I think that should be true of all our surroundings. If a neighbor blasts music, especially at late hours, it should be addressed. If someone's dog barks incessantly, especially at late hours, it should be addressed. But if no one complains or speaks up, it must be assumed that there is no problem. So don't be afraid to say something. It was appalling the reaction you got, but it shouldn't keep you from speaking up, in a non-confrontational way, of course. It is sad how little compassion people seem to have for one another these days.
    ...See More

A very noisy wind chime

Q

Comments (62)
    But Manny, what if the sail is made of wood? I do find that the trick to increasing/decreasing the sound is in the sail size and material and the length it hangs. I miss that beautiful black chime that played snippets of Amazing Grace, but it needed a more spacious venue than I could provide.
    ...See More
  • country_bumpkin_al
    14 years ago

Yes! I have a set that Jenni sent me not too long after my husband passed. I also have a small set on the screen door of the porch. Those are mainly so I can hear it someone opens the screen..that's the only time they "chime".

And, I have a huge set my DH gave me several years ago for our anniversary. Those hung outside the porch. They sounded like church chimes. Unfortunately, those came apart a couple of months ago. I contaced the company about restringing and tuning them..and it's going to cost $50.00!!! I could probably buy another set for a little more than that..but they wouldn't be the ones DH gave me. Eventually, I will get them fixed.

• alisande
    Original Author
    14 years ago

CT, after reading your post I'm wondering if my two sets of chimes will be compatible. The new ones are in the key of C. I don't know about the older ones. I'll try figuring it out tomorrow with the help of my piano, but the piano is overdue for a tuning, so that might not work.

I guess I'll know when they get here if they're compatible or not. :-)

Interesting story about your neighbor! And Glenda, I had no idea solar indoor wind chimes existed. What a neat idea.

CB, I wonder if a local craftsman could restring them for less money.....?

• breenthumb
    14 years ago

I do have several but my favorites are the deeper tones and the "clackers" like stones, clay, bamboo. I have a stone clacker inside the DR window. I usually open that window from the top and when its raining and that starts clacking it reminds me that window is open and rain is blowing in.

Also like the nautical sounding ones that sound like a buoy--those solitary boat markers out in the water--booong..... booong.

I didn't know about "compatible" wind chimes either and really enjoyed that story too, CT.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

We live in a neighborhood of very close houses. I don't like windchimes that will wake me up, so I don't have any. But the neighbors do, and we hear them quite well.

• mcmann
    14 years ago

I really enjoy wind chimes - BUT I'm very picky and they have to have just the right sound. One year for Christmas my son surprised me with a set of really long ones. He wrapped each tube to keep them quiet and put them in an empty 4' flourescent lights box and then put it under the tree without covering it with gift wrap. That box drove me crazy for a week until Christmas morning. It's one of my favorite memories. But it's a great chime - the shortest tube is over 2 feet so they have a more mellow sound with a deep resonance and they need a stronger wind to chime. We put them at the mountain place on the side of the house. There's no one else around to hear them.

At home I have a little tinkly set that my Mom gave me. It's so tiny you can only hear it if your window is open.

• sandy_in_ia
    14 years ago

I LOVE wind chimes....and if we lived in the country, we would have dozens all around. But, we live in town with neighbors, and I don't want to be that 'crazy lady with all her chimes'! Right now I only have 2 outside. One is bamboo and the other is a larger tube type...that I love!

• paula_pa
    14 years ago

Funny this should come up because I just put a windchime in my yard sale pile and I looked up the original price and was surprised to see it was around $30 (it was a gift). I don't have anywhere to hang wind chimes outside.

This is the model I'm giving up.

• lindyluwho
    14 years ago

I love wind chimes. I only have one medium sized one right now and it needs to be moved. It was hanging from a tree that was badly damaged in our April snow/ice storm and had to be cut down. It is just hanging in a temporary spot right now. I need to put it on the "honey do" list.

I don't like the bamboo type. I don't find that clunking sound to be pleasant.

Linda

• mcmann
    14 years ago

Sandy- We have a get away place in the woods with lots of acreage. One of my goals is to place wind chimes along our hiking paths so we can hear them as we walk. Not too many- just every now and then as a surprise.

• pattico_gw
    14 years ago

I love the sound of the Shenandoah Melodies on that link you gave us...in the key of E...

I have two sets outside of glass chimes but they have a tinkling sound...They are beautiful...made for me by "SayWhatAgnes" who used to post on garden junk and sometime here...and the Meeting House...but I can't find her anymore...

One of my favorite "sound makers" are my pop bottle harps...I love the sound they make when the wind blows..and it is breezy here nearly everyday.

patti

• lindaohnowga
    14 years ago

I love windchimes and have lots of them. The huge one outside my bedroom window lulls me to sleep. Luckily my neighbor who can only hear them when she is outside enjoys them too.

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

I have a large tubular one hanging from the deck that my Dad made for me about 10 years ago and an inside one made from a goblet and forks/spoons that Stoneybaloney made for a swap we did.

I bought a chimes cd a few years ago cause I thought it would be relaxing. It's not. lol

• sue_va
    14 years ago

I had 6-8 before I moved here. There I had no neighbors close enough to possibly be bothered by them.

Here I have given all except one to my DD who has space enough for all of them. I kept one which was given to me by my DGS and it is a medium size, tuned, but I don't remember the key. I have it on the front porch and though it is usually windy here it seems to be out of the draft and not a problem. I enjoy it especially when I'm on the porch in the evenings.

They can be a nuisance if there are too many and too many different tones, etc.

Sue

• pattico_gw
    14 years ago

Glenda....I also have a battery operated chime here in the house...but it won't work anymore...I loved it...It still blows the air..but not hard enough to make it chime.

I'd like to buy another one...but I never see them for sale anywhere anymore.

patti

• alisande
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, Patti, I like that Shenandoah Melodies sound, too! I'm glad I didn't see it earlier, or I'd be tempted to spend more money. I chose from WindChimes.com sale selection, linked below. There are a lot of choices, most with audio clips.

I have a fondness for E anyway, and Eb even more. C is good, too, and A. I'm not crazy about D. I like to sing in G. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: wind chimes on sale

• stargazzer
    14 years ago

Yes I have them and you would never guess where I hang them. In my old neighborhood, the homes that were broken into all had window wells. So when we moved into our new home with window wells, I was a little concerned about burglaries. I had a $100. rebate from Gander Mountain, couldn't find anything I wanted from there until I saw the HUGE wind chimes. I bought two and hung them in my window wells. that should surprise anyone who raises them hoping to enter the house.

• mariend
    14 years ago

Too windy, wind chimes would end up out in the farmer's fields. But then I was not aware of the different tones etc. Could not use them where we live before, because of the heavy cross winds. But we had so many birds and other animals, to me they were just noise.
    I do like the very small ones, but I also enjoy just quietness. Check out thrift shops, craft shows, craft magazines as they are easy to make.

• User
    14 years ago

Those sounded nice! I have about 8 windchimes. 1 very large one on my back deck an the others are smaller. 2 on my front porch.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

I love windchimes and have a lot of them.I like all the sounds they make,and i especially like the bamboo ones.Mine get lots of breezes blowing them as we have a canyon behind our house and the ocean breeze comes acros the canyon and keeps them moving.My neighbors have never said anything and i've lived here for 42 years.They have barking dogs,i like the sounds from my chimes better.LOL
    Kathi

• lynn_d
    14 years ago

I have a couple of pairs but only one that we can really hear well. That one is large, the 'pipes' are 2 to 3 feet long. It is referred to as westminster chime, and has deep, reverberating sounds to it.

• hayjud_mn
    14 years ago

Coloredthumb, Thank you for all the interesting information.

I have never been fond of chimes, but I think I had only ever heard the tiny tinkly ones. They are irritating to me. My DH always wanted a wind chime even though he knew I DID NOT like them. When ever the kids asked what he would like, he would say a wind chime. I always voiced my opinion of that idea. Dh is hard of hearing and can't hear high pitched sounds, so he could not even hear the sounds that were so irritating to me.

One year for Christmas I stopped in to check out some windchimes at a store that carries bird stuff. I was very impressed with those nice deep sounding chimes. This was only a couple days before Christmas and I didn't have a gift for DH yet. In desperation I spent a fortune on a chime for him, so it would have a nice deep sound. We both enjoy it.

I know NOTHING about music and the only key I know is to unlock a door, but the thought of lots of chimes working together is fastenating. In our Patio home community we are too close to put the chime out, but there is one house a couple blocks away that has an obnoctious sounding one. I feel sorry for the neighbors.

• clubm
    14 years ago

Yes,I have one set of wind chimes a friend brought back from one of the islands hanging from my back porch.

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

Just adding my solar chimes to this thread. Love mine!

{{!gwi}}

• pattico_gw
    14 years ago

My cousin Deb used to have a lot of chimes out on her deck....
    But one rather windy night when the chimes were having a concert...and she was trying her best to sleep....Even giving the ole "pillow over the head trick" a try.

When she realized nothing was going to help, she got a large pair of sissors...went stomping out to the deck and snipped them all off....

I can just see her slapping her hands together as though she were trying to remove dirt...and saying to herself...Take that...!!!! Then going to bed and going to sleep...!

patti

• stargazzer
    14 years ago

One of our neighbor's had one and it banged against a post on top of the usual noise. One day she found it laying on her picnic table. Finally the neighbor told her it kept him awake.

• trinitytx
    14 years ago

I have 3 out on the porch I love to hear. I also bought my neighbor one for her birthday, and love hearing that one also.
    I have a rain chime, not sure if anyone else has one, but they look like shallow upside down bells on 2ft wires. When it rains and they fill with water and dump out they chime. Really nice.

Trin

• barbara3
    14 years ago

The wind chimes have not been invented that can withstand our easterly gales! I have had three or four sets and they have all blown apart in the wind.

• rthummer
    14 years ago

I love windchimes. However I have bought from a local man who make them himself and they have not been exactly what I wanted. So I don't use them. I found several that I like from the links that have been posted, but need to zero it down to one. The tone quality is so much better. I like the light, light tinkling sound, not the clanging sounds. Almost like asking yourself, am I hearing that or not? The deeper or medium clanging sounds grate on my ears. Thanks for posting the links!!

• alisande
    Original Author
    14 years ago

RubyThroat, you should check out the Tuscany chimes by Woodstock, on sale at WindChime.com (linked). Nine tubes, which is more than the usual number, and to me, at least, they sound light. See if they're light enough for you.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH