SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Our garden will need another generation

Which it may not get. So far we've put about thirteen years into our property; the bulk of the big garden dates from 2007 and later, and we're still doing basic planting. A few days ago a man came with a small excavator and dug us 112 holes. The soil that came up with mostly stony clay, with some purer clay as well (no loam: that's why the holes). The clay that got dug up sat in the warm sun for a few days and is now adobe, and is quite a job to amend and put back. We're trying to insure against future landslides with our planting: oaks, hazelnuts and flowering ash are all deeprooted, but most shrubs help, even the handsomely taprooted alfalfa. Even weeds. I continue my researches into basic hedging shrubs. Privet is still fine, but I'm beginning to notice how much of it I've planted, and am looking about for other possibilities: photinia (a recent favorite), hazelnut, mock orange, kerria, cotoneaster, shrub honeysuckle, lilac, spirea, forsythia, laburnum (on order for this fall, and we dug up some wild suckers) and the recent discoveries weigela and oakleaf hydrangea. All common as grass, but they must be procured, the holes dug and amended, the plantlets planted, and then watered for a year. And with, and following on, the shrubs, come the trees. Oaks specially, but also flowering ash, which is native and fast growing, looks good, roots deeply, and doesn't get huge and threaten to shade out great swathes of the garden. Fruit trees, about which I need to get more organized. And of course the roses. It's terribly late to put out an order this year, but we can still collect suckers and cuttings to plant in the propagation beds and grow on for next fall.

What we've been engaged on all these is years is the heavy job of transforming a piece of hardscrabble ground into a garden. Not necessarily the best designed garden with the most desirable plants, but a place that has soil that plants other than weeds and brush can grow in, with sun and shade, air and protection from wind, a healthy amount of organic detritus feeding back into the soil, and large plants whose roots will prevent landslides. Also a place that's beautiful and has a very fair variety of plants, but in a way that has been secondary. This garden will need another generation, which of course I can't guarantee it will get.

In another decade, if we can finish basic planting and continue maintenance and if no major disasters strike, we will have a healthy population of young, long-lived oaks and other trees, mature shrubs, a firm architecture of hedges and walks, and, perhaps, a growing population of herbaceous perennials, bulbs, and self-seeding annuals. At this point the refinements (supplied by someone else) could begin. I could see a hypothetical future gardener, say, twenty years from now, cursing all the ratty overgrown privet, lilac, and mock orange, and working on a plan to cut down some of the young forest of oaks, because--I suspect--the moment at which I decide I have enough oaks will be the moment at which there will prove to be too many of them. This future gardener will have enormous tasks of shrub removal, replacing banal ordinary plants with a selection of more unusual and diverse varieties; s/he'll have a mountain of renewal pruning; s/he'll find enormous room for improvement in every way. But this gardener will be working on a GARDEN, an already existing garden, with the enormous advantage of not starting from zero.

Comments (31)