SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Share your experiences with main level hall bath

homey_bird
8 years ago

Hi,

I am in the planning stages of my 2-level house. We currently have a 1-story house and will be adding a second story. As per the new layout, we will have a guest b/r and a full bath on the main level, which is also the only bath on the main level.

We will have a master suite and additional bath on the upper level, and I know that we will use upstairs to get ready and take showers etc. Also, we do have guests, but not always (thank goodness! :-)) and we have them for pretty short durations. Therefore, this main level bath will be used by us and visitors as powder.

Given this, I am trying to figure out how fancy or large this bathroom needs to be. In the current design, it's tight, 5'x7' with a 24" vanity on one end, followed by a toilet and followed by a shower along long edge.

My concern is with the vanity being too small and I am considering making it longer, at either 30" or 36". For this, the bath will be roated clockwise (on the plan below), and additional space will be borrowed from either the kitchen or the guest closet, or both. Of course, I am wondering if it's a sacrifice worth making.

Considering that this will be a bath serving as a powder cum guest cum family 1st level bath, I am wondering if it is absolutely a must to have a larger vanity.

The guest BR is designed to be ~10'x10'. While ok for occasional use, I also want it to be habitable and warm for guests, therefore do not wish to make it too small. For reference, here's the main level floor plan:

I wanted to find out if any of you have a similar set up and whether you think that a larger vanity is a must.

Comments (14)