SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Thoughts on Whirlpool WFL98HEBU washer

uscpsycho
8 years ago

Anyone have the Whirlpool WFL98HEBU washing machine? What do you think about it?

I dig that it has a color LCD control panel. But sometimes those make devices harder to use if they're unresponsive or require too many key presses, or if they're overly sensitive and you have to be super careful where you tap. How do you like it?

Also, is there an Android app for this? On the Whirlpool site there is a link to an app on Google Play but the link is broken: https://www.mysmartappliances.com/

How do you like the smart features? Worthwhile?

Overall thoughts? Would you buy it again? The other washers I'm considering are the Maytag MHW8100DC and the Electrolux EWFLS70JSS. But the way those other two work should have no surprises. The Whirlpool works a lot different so I'd like to hear from people with first hand experience.

Comments (40)

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Why do you think the Whirlpool works so differently, because of the Smart Grid app? The Maytag you sited is essentially Whirlpool, that's who makes it.

I also tried grabbing the app in both IOS and Android and the software doesn,t appear to be available. That's a telling sign of not only an $500 up charge for a glitchy fad option with no real purpose.

LG's NFC TAG ON technology is about the most useful, but falls FAR short of what I would expect. It allows download of custom programs for a variety of a handful of specialty programs, e.g. Sportswear, pillows, pet, etc. Something the Electrolux gives you as stock specialty wash programs. My idea of a high tech interface is one that lets me define all the parameters, wash time, exact temp, extract time and speed, multi rinses, water level, dwell time and without restriction. Unfortunately LG, Whirlpool, and Samsung which are about the only brands that have ventured into the technology, don't have it right yet. Honestly who wants to remotely check if my load of towels has finished while I am at a dinner party, LOL. It a pretty useless expensive option. However as I said before its all about preference. That Whirlpool has been sitting on showroom floors for the last year and half. That's a $1700 machine which by now should be available heavily discounted with its lackluster sales. Good luck in your search.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The user interfaces of the Whirlpool and the Maytag are totally different. And the Maytag can be accessed by Internet and app.
    I expect them to operate the same but I was explicitly asking about the interface and the app.
    There is a Whirlpool app on Google Play but I have no idea if it's the app for this washer.
    I can't find anyone that has the Whirlpool on display. I'd love to try it before buying it to see how well the controls work.

• Related Discussions

whirlpool 9450 FL Washer vs 9400

Q

Comments (1)
    We just got a 9400. The main difference that I am aware of is that the 9400 is 4.0 cf while the 9450 is 4.4 cf. I know that our 9400 was made in Germany, which we saw as a benefit, and I think the sales person said that the 9450 is made in Mexico. Since it was an old model, we got our 9400 from our local dealer for $569 including delivery.
    ...See More

Whirlpool Seeks Duties on LG, Samsung Clothes-Washer Imports

Q

Comments (8)
    Well I am very anti Whirlpool. After a run in with their customer service over a newly designed Maytag refrigerator (they had just acquired Maytag) they are off my buy list. I have an older Whirlpool branded dishwasher that I wished I had went with my first choice and bought the Bosch. For a top of the line Kitchen Aid, it is a cheaply built unit. And yes I bought a Samsung washer/dryer a few years back. Had to call their customer service when it was a few weeks old. Had a squeak that they resolved in a timely manner. Even called after the service to make sure I was satisfied. So this Christmas I purchased a Samsung TV. So I guess I'm saying I wonder if part of the reason they are having problems selling their products is their prior customers are unhappy and jumping ship.
    ...See More

Thoughts on Whirlpool WFW86HEBW washer?

Q

Comments (2)
    I recently bought the WFW96HEAW and have used it for about 5 washes now. Love them. Clean good, super quiet
    ...See More

Whirlpool washer will not spin/rinse

Q

Comments (17)
    The entire outer cabinet comes off (with the rear panel remaining standing in place). 1) Pull the machine forward from the wall a little so there's room for the console to swing back in Step 3. Unplug the power cord. 2) Remove the two screws at the front lower corners of the control console. 3) Pull the console slightly forward, then swing it upwards and back. It's hinged at the upper rear corners and should stay up ... although sometimes the plastic hinges break so be careful of that. 4) Disconnect the lid switch harness where it plugs into the top under the console. 5) Use a large flat screwdriver to remove the two (usually gold colored) spring clips that anchor the top to the rear panel. 6) Open the lid, grasp at the front of the loading port and swing the cabinet forward and off the base. The cabinet is a bit flimsy/flexible when not anchored to the base. 7) Set the cabinet aside so you can get under it to access the lid switch. Reverse all that to reassemble. Place the lower front edge of the cabinet under the front lip of the base (may need to give a slight kick with your knee) and set it down into place. There are two tabs at the rear corners of the base that fit into slots in the edge of the cabinet to help stabilize the sides. Sometimes it's a bit tricky to get that aligned. Don't forget to connect the lid switch harness plug.
    ...See More
  • uscpsycho
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What is the model number of the predecessor so I can try to find some videos?

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

I don't know about either of those washers but this is a lot of energy towards an app. I certainly would not buy a washing machine and rely on any app. I could have had remote internet on my washer, dryer and fridge and opted against it. All these things that are marketed to make it easier rarely work well. Maybe some day but we're just not that wired up as yet.

IMO, which granted you haven't asked for, you are asking for a PITA. And unless you have a robot at home to do the loading, dosing and unloading the app seems unnecessary.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I found some videos of previous models by searching for Whirlpool Duet.

I was starting to lean away from getting the "smart" Whirlpools until I saw the videos. They actually offer a lot of cool features like showing you how to treat stains. I would use that. And I thought the screen was a touchscreen, but it's not, you use physical buttons to make our selections. For a washer & dryer I think that's better.

However, the problem I see is with all the Internet connectivity stuff. It looks to me like anything you do through the app, or which uses the Internet, is dependent on third party services. That is the fly in the ointment because unless these services are provided in perpetuity it will lead to the premature obsolescence of the washer & dryer. The appliances will continue to operate independent of the Internet but without the third party services they will lose their ability to communicate with the Internet or work with the app.

Considering how low the adoption of these appliances is, it wouldn't surprise me if Whirlpool discontinued Web support. The Android version of the app has only been downloaded 100-500 times. In light of the woefully low adoption numbers I wonder how long Whirlpool will be committed to supporting these appliances. Perhaps not much past the warranty period?

rococogurl - I agree the apps offer questionable utility (although if I have them I want them to be supported for as long as I have the appliances) but the color LCD screens do offer a lot of information and give the appliances some extra functionality. I'd almost prefer to go a generation back when the top of the line models only had the color screens without all the Internet/app connectivity stuff.

• whirlpool_trainee
    8 years ago

Ah, I was just copying links for you. Okay. The reviews you saw were probably from mothers who got the set in silver? Those were the ones I was talking about.

As for the future of this technology: who knows. I mean, the whole thing about apps won't go away - people just love them too much today. Whirlpool has an entire suit of "smart" appliances in the US, I think, and a whole bunch of them in Europe, where connectivity is becoming more and more common. On the other hand, the Whirlpool Vantage with its USB update ability came and went.

In your position, I'd probably get the color screen model and ignore the app, or get a model below it with the Smart Dispense (just because I love that spray).

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

I'd go for a washer with good heating ability, good rinsing ability and functional flexibility. One profile wash is all the treating most stains really need. I know Larsi's readout on his Little Giant has all the whiz-bang and nothing wrong with that. But that fascination pales if the machine doesn't truly perform. When a profile wash with barely 2 tablespoons of detergent took a 3-day old espresso coffee spill out of DH's chinos, that's results. When the wool cycle took a pilled cashmere turtle neck that looked ready for the donation bag and renewed it completely, that's results. Everything else to me is frosting IYKWIM.

uscpsycho thanked rococogurl
  • uscpsycho
    Original Author
    8 years ago

whirlpool_trainee - There's so very little information (not even videos) of the current generation. Do you know if the WFL98HEBU has all the features of the previous top of the line Duet, plus all the web stuff? If I just get the web stuff without the other features I saw in the videos of the previous model, I won't be happy...

rococogurl - You didn't mention which washer did this amazing work. Was it a Whirlpool?

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

@uscpsycho - no, it's my Miele 3035. But Larsi liked his larger Electrolux a lot and so do others. Heater's the thing.

Re Whirlpool - Have you called them to ask what the Hot and Extra Hot temperatures are and how they are reached? Not familiar with those as they are way to large for my needs so I never looked at them. I don't totally understand the concept of steam wash but if that gets
    you to 140F or above via the heater then I'd be good with that. OTOH, if
    it's just house hot water (mine is 125F which is recommended) and no
    heater then the stain removal and whitening ability are reduced. Not to
    say that's necessarily bad. But some families need the hot &
    sanitize.

I had a Bosch FL for 2 years in our apartment. It did a great job but it didn't have the heater so the whitening and stain removal was not as robust as the Miele or Asko with the heaters.

uscpsycho thanked rococogurl
  • rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

I am surprised it's only rated as a Tier 1 machine considering a good part of the internet connectivity is designed for energy savings in off peak hours. It has Allergen and Sanitize cycles both which are NSF certified, which should guarantee a 55C Allergen and 70C Sanitary. Extra Hot can only be selected in those two cycles. Dollar for dollar the Electrolux is a better machine.

• whirlpool_trainee
    8 years ago

I suppose the 98 has the same features as the previous generation, as the manual on page 4 indicates that is covers all the features of the non-smart model as well (the picture of the control panel shows that the machine will either have a Smart Grid or a Fan Fresh button).

Temperatures - no one knows. The owner of the video I linked asked WP about the temps during the wash cycles and the reply he got was that it would depend on the cycle and setting... blah blah.

I am not entirely sure how steam works on that model. The newest Whirlpools (with the touch buttons) drain and spin the clothes after the main wash and then fill from behind the drum to immerse the heater in water an "steam" the tumbling clothes. How hot the actual clothes get remains a mystery. Electrolux works the same way.

uscpsycho thanked whirlpool_trainee
  • uscpsycho
    Original Author
    8 years ago

rpsinfoman - You said you believe "dollar for dollar" the Electrolux is the better machine. Let's take cost out of the equation. Assuming they both cost the same. Or they were both free. Then what's the better machine. If Electrolux, why do you think it's better?

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

@uscpsycho - first of all I will quality my comments by stating these are my observations, I don't own this machine.

Taking money out of the equation, the Electrolux offers more in the way of features, more specifically, specialty cycles and some other features hidden in the display. The ability to store custom programs for three individual users is also a convenient touch. The Electrolux is also rated as a Tier II for energy while the Whirlpool is Tier 1. Other than those differences you most likely won't find one cleans better than the other, however I can't speak to that in fact. Whirlpool makes a quality product as does Electrolux. You almost have to consider price points as they are intrinsically related to feature sets. I am not so sure the Whirlpool Smart Grid internet connectivity brings any real benefit to the core function of the machine. My other concern is the lack of ownership and reviews, seem to indicate this product will be discontinued and not supported. You can pick up the same core features and cleaning in Whirlpools 97 series at a more competitive price point. Just saying....

• whirlpool_trainee
    8 years ago

Let me see, if I can get Bob (boba1) to chime in here - he has the non-smart model and knows it inside and out.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The Whirlpool also offers specialty cycles and tons of features hidden into that LCD panel. Including the ability to store custom cycles, I believe you can store 7 or 8. Plus I really like the additional help provided by the display with respect to washing tips and such. Unlike a lot of the laundry pros in this thread I am often unsure about the best program to use for a given situation and the information provided by the screen on the Whirlpool is a big selling point for me. It actually more than balances out the dollar-for-dollar argument since this is something no other washer has.

I agree that the app and the smart grid connectivity are of questionable value. As I mentioned earlier, I might prefer the previous model with all the on-screen info but without all the additional "smart" features.

All washing machines are eventually discontinued and my guess is most people who require service don't need it until that time comes (years later). And the majority of people never need service. So I'm willing to take that chance, especially since I won't come close to taxing such a machine with my lifestyle.

The more and more I think about this purchase the more I realize how much I like the hand holding that this machine provides for guys like me. I'm glad I was advised to look for videos because it helped me appreciate that aspect of it.

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

You have answered your own question then. With all do respect it seems like you want someone here to qualify your choice and tell you it's a better machine than Electrolux. No one here can definitively do that. I will agree the interface and specialty cycles are far more extensive. However there are more 70 series Electrolux machines in service than the model you are reviewing based solely on customer reviews. Go for it and report back. It may very well be the bomb! And it's heavily discounted right now. 1399.00

• whirlpool_trainee
    8 years ago

Mechanically, the 98 is not much different from the present Whirlpool washers. All manufacturers try to turn one base model into as many models/versions as possible. Actually, there isn't even that much difference between the Electrolux and the Frigidaire models. Slap a different control panel on the base unit and voila: up goes the price.

When Whirlpool did a major overhaul of their front loaders and German production was ended and the machines were made in the US with an all new design... 98% of the parts from the previous generation were carried over to the new one. So I wouldn't worry about only a few 98 models being sold, as as there were plenty nearly identical 97, 95, 94 or whatever models sold.

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

So true. Sales are few because the American Consumer is valve driven, not because it's a bad machine. When you can get a 94,95, or 97 with basically the same features, and hundreds of dollars less, that's what they will buy. Few will pay the premium for the high end Smart Grid enabled machine. How stable and supported that is remains to be seen though. Whirlpool in itself has lost a lot of floor space with the big box stores. There allocating space to what moves, shakes, and sells. I haven,t seen one current model on any showroom floor. But there plastered with LG and Samsung. It still remains one of my favorite American brands.

• boba1
    8 years ago

I have the original WF97 that came out about 4 to 5 years ago. Mine was delivered and installed the first Friday December 2011`.; I love the flexibility of being able to select Deep Clean for Stains on Normal/Casual, Whites, Allergen, Heavy Duty, Bulky Items, Sheets/Linens cotton fabric, and Kids Wear. Except for Normal/Casual, all the other cycles can select the Sanitize temperature. Allergen is required by NSF P351 to heat water to 130 degrees and hold it for 3 minutes at least. Sanitize is 154. Whites heats to between 125 and 130 degrees. The heater comes on and supplements water temp readily on Bulky Items, Whites, Kids Wear, and Sheets/Linens cotton fabric, and Allegen. The heater will be engaged if steam for stains is selected on Heavy Duty and Normal/Casual. Because Normal/Casual is energy star designated, it only heats to 122 on Hot. I love the fact I have flexibility to opt for cycles with the heater and have either fast tumble or medium speed tumble. Jeans is delicate cycle with more water and a cool down phase before end of wash as well as spins between each wash & rinse phase. Delicate and Hand Wash only spin at the end after the last rinse. You can select heavy soil on Jeans and still have warm water. Specialty cycle Business Casual only gets to tepid temp on mine but you can select heavy soil and otherwise mimics delicate cycle. I only use powder detergent and have never used the smart dispense. Specialty Cycle Sheets/Linens cotton fabrics is Whites without extra rinse and defaults to warm. Kids Wear is a duplicate of Whites, but default is Warm water. I've spent a lot of time figuring out all the various nuances of each cycle. I didn't start using Normal/Casual at all until the last two months due to people harping that it uses so little water things won't get clean. I"ve been extremely pleased due to the concentration of detergent in the water solution. I used it on a load that had a big blood stain that had sat on a pair of kakhis for almost two weeks. Heavy Soil, Steam for Stains, warm water temperature. Tide with Bleach Alternative He. The load had 10 pairs of kakhi slacks in it. The stain was totally gone at end of cycle. I also noticed it changed tumble speeds and patterns during the long wash phase too. Blew me away.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, I may have finally made up my mind. But I wasn't sure when I started this thread. I guess this thread served its purpose in helping me decide. It was really the suggestion to look at videos of the previous model that did it for me.

Prior to starting this thread I had talked myself out of this machine (because I was leery about all the smart features) and had narrowed my options down to Electrolux and Maytag. But now I think this is the right choice for me.

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

The original 97 is quite a bit different than the new revised 97 version. The only unit currently in the Whirlpool product line that offers the features you describe is the premium 98. Even so 4/5 years is a long time and the temperatures you describe have likely been dumbed down in any newer version. It's an important distinction to make when comparing any unit from a previous generation, at least for comparison accuracy. BTW that's a great machine you have! What's more frustrating with all these brands is none of this technical information is documented! It's anyone's guess other than engineering and the vendor who designed and built the operating control unit. It's a huge disservice to the consumer and the folks who have to service them.

• boba1
    8 years ago

IN light of the 98 being Tier I vs. others being Tier II, given dumbed down temperatures are a likelihood, I'd rather take Tier I while I can so I can have a bit more water and higher water temperatures.

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

@boba1 - yes absolutely!!! because eventually that is going away. It's a nice machine and on sale an even nicer one. If I were "uscpsycho" I'd snatch one of those. A Tier 1 machine with those kind of features is next to non existent.

• suburbanmd
    8 years ago

Tier 1, 2 etc. are relative to the current Energy Star standards. I've been unable to find any indication that manufacturer tax credits for clothes washers exceeding Energy Star, like this

http://www.energytaxincentives.org/builders/appliances.php

are still in effect. That would explain why the majority of washers are now Tier 1.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

usc has his answer. Keep us up on how you like your machine when you get it!

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Will do! Gonna be a couple months though, I'm still neck deep in remodeling. I just needed to make a decision so I could give specs to my contractor and electrician.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I ordered the washer and dryer back in November and today I got an email from the appliance store telling me that the 98 has been discontinued and the current top of the line is the 97. He said, and I quote "Unfortunately the Whirlpool set you want is discontinued. I believe my rep told me they were having too many service issues with the control panel."

Has anyone heard of these problems? I'd think if it was that big of a problem there would be more complaints online. But then again, not a lot of people have this machine.

What do you guys think? Should I find someone that can sell it to me? Or do you think I'd be better off getting something else?

This is so annoying, after all that research I hate to have to go back to researching.

• boba1
    8 years ago

My comparable WFW97 is 4 years old and not a control panel issue yet. (Knock on wood).

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    But the 97 doesn't have the fancy touchscreen panel, does it?
  • sparky823
    8 years ago

The 98 is still on Wpool website, plus for the most part the ratings are very good. Check out their site. I did notice the 98 has a little smaller capacity than the 97.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The WGD98HEBU is discontinued for sure. That's the matching gas dryer. Not available anywhere.

The washing machine and electric dryer may or may not be discontinued but they are easy to find. I want the washer and the has dryer so looks like I am SOL.

If anyone can confirm that a store has the gas dryer in stock please let me know. Just because it shows in stock online doesn't mean it is, I called three chains that showed it in stock online but they did not have any. Not even floor models. UGH
  • uscpsycho
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So the washing machine and the electric dryer have not been discontinued, but for some unknown reason the gas dryer has been discontinued. I really prefer to have gas so this is very frustrating.

Would it be a bad idea to combine the Whirlpool 98 washer with another dryer? Maybe the 97 dryer, or a high end Maytag or Electrolux. That going to look OK? Yes, I care about how it looks. Shoot me. ;-)

• sparky823
    8 years ago

The Electrolux 70 was/is the best reviewed dryer at reviewed.com. If I was going to get that dryer I would just get the Lux washer also, but that is just me...

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I can appreciate that there are differences of opinions on what makes something the best washer. For me, the Whirlpool 98 is best.

Anyone know if calling around trying to find this dryer is a waste of time? Do stores ever keep washers & dryers in stock or do they always ship from the distributor/manufacturer? If the latter then there is no hope of me lucking out and finding one in a warehouse somewhere and I'll give up the search.

• whirlpool_trainee
    8 years ago

It depends on the size of the store. Where I worked, the store used to keep stock and they were also able to check the inventory of other stores via their intranet. I'd try to locate a unit or go with electric over a mismatched set. Or get a so-so matching electric Whirlpool dryer.

uscpsycho thanked whirlpool_trainee
  • rococogurl
    8 years ago

I wouldn't get a discontinued product. If it goes wrong or breaks parts will be an issue or you'll have to hunt down old machines and cannibalize.

Won't say I think the market has a lot of good washing machines right now because I don't believe it does especially. But there are enough choices to begin with one that won't be a problem until it's replaced.

Good luck!

• dadoes
    8 years ago

Discontinuation of a specific model doesn't mean parts supplies magically disappear at that moment. Mechanical parts may be shared with other models. Control panels and such that are model-specific will be available until 1) there is no longer a reasonable demand for them or 2) the manufacturer makes them NLA per their established support timetable or 3) the supply vendor goes kablooey and another can't be secured.

uscpsycho thanked dadoes
  • uscpsycho
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is kind of silly. Every product will eventually be discontinued. I don't know what product life cycles are for W&D but in the rest of the world a product is lucky to survive two years before being discontinued. Besides, the electric dryer isn't discontinued and I'm sure it shares a lot of parts with the gas version.

• whirlpool_trainee
    8 years ago

Most manufacturers try to recycle as many parts as possible. So when a new machine comes out, they try to reuse already existing parts with little or no modification - if possible, of course. When Whirlpool changed the overall design of their front loaders, a service bulletin said that, I think, over 95% of the part from the old series were interchangeable.