SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Remodel with permits vs without

beachem
8 years ago

I don't advocate doing large scale remodeling without a permit but there are days when I roll my eyes a lot.

I called for an inspection and mentioned that my electrician will be here today to put in a missing cup. The inspector got very upset because apparently no contractor is allowed to work in my city on a federal holiday. That never stopped my neighbors' workers who starts at 7 and work til 9pm 7 days a week and thru every holiday this year.

It took me several mins to soothe him. He finally allowed it since the electrician is working on his own time after hours and will be only screwing in a cup socket for a pendant that his journeyman missed.

Fyi, in my city, you can't sell the house until you have an inspection so that they can collect all permit revenues for missed remodels. However they miss the remodeling signs a lot.

Three neighbors on the same street redid their kitchens at the same time without permits and were done in 2 months. One finished an entire house demo and added a balcony.

I've spent 7 months and still not done (this doesn't count the 5 months that my mother and I were in the hospital and no work was done). Repiping alone took 3 months as the company jumped thru hoops for the city on a job that only takes them 1 day and approval is instant in other cities. Nothing else was allowed to be done until the city was happy.

Neighbors' repiping under the radar took a week to two - smaller crew than my specialty company. Their cost was also a third to half of mine since they skipped some safety precautions.

Ah the joys of bureaucracy.

Comments (5)