The best canned vegetable broth or….
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (17)
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years agoeld6161 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10
Related Discussions
Should a newbie attempt canning broth?
Comments (35)You guys have got me so figured out! Never before have I embarked a learning endeavor where it's so important to have the correct resources. What could be more important than that? I'm not a person who can, normally, be slowed down, but boy the fear of doing this incorrectly just rattles me. The beginning of the season my goal was to try every recipe, every method, in every book I had in search of the perfect flavor, perfect taste, perfect texture, etc. I had assumed ALL recipes were safe, that it was the person themselves screwing up. I was buying up every book I could, especially because I was incapable of conviently getting online. I started buying books last summer, spent my entire winter reading, taking notes. There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't spend two hours reading, planning, thinking...... Now just because I'm putting myself out there doesn't mean I'm making more mistakes than others! I just want myself to be understood exactly and precisely where I'm screwing up. I don't want to waste anyone's time with this assistance you all graciously give to everyone here! I don't mind a little "waste" while I'm learning. I anticipate it taking me several attempts. Which explains the extra large garden, unwillingness to throw out what's been given to me, and why I have purchased produce. I'm not foolish, just a bit too head strong. :-) There is a 38 year old woman with 4 children, a greenhouse business and personal gardener for hire, coming from a small town along the Mississippi River, who thanks you all so much......See MoreImproving soup broth
Comments (20)I just posted this info in another thread about soups but now that I see this thread, it seems more appropriate since it's about broths. So I'm re-posting it here: Just thought I'd add a few more ideas for broths since that seems to be the heart and soul of soups. I often use the water leftover from either boiling or steaming veggies that will be used for a side dish rather than in soup. It's remarkable how much that process can flavor a 'broth'. So I'm always seeing 'broth' potential when I'm cooking and treat it accordingly. In fact I've boiled/steamed veggies in a water/chicken broth combo with the intention of keeping it as stock afterwards. In that same vein, a little apple cider vinegar added to the water that is used to steam/boil/blanch greens (such as collard greens) leaves a nice flavor residue on the greens as well as a nice broth that's delicious in some soups. Of course I can't save it all, but here's how much I hate to see good veggie nutrients tossed down the drain - if I don't save the 'broth' after steaming veggies then I pour it on my potted plants after it cools or mix it in my pet's food. I mean SOMEone/thing should benefit! About salt levels: Some posters have commented on the high salt content of V8, however they may not know that V8 comes in a low sodium version as well. There are other brands that are cheaper or are organic tomato juices that also make delicious broths. I just happen to enjoy the spices and flavors of V8 and rarely feel the need to add more. Just heard in the news that the government FDA is going to begin cracking down on the levels of salt used in processed foods by slowly weening us off of it over the next decade or so (rather than doing it cold turkey)....See MoreRECIPE: Simple homemade vegetable broth
Comments (0)You can certainly vary the amounts of veggies to your preference, this is the version that I like best. Some people like to add bell pepper, fennel, spinach or tomatoes to make a more Mediterranean stock, but I prefer a lighter based broth using the ingredients below. Start with this recipe and add to it to make it your own! Enjoy! In a large stockpot, to 16 cups of water, add: 1 medium turnip, chopped 3 carrots, chopped 1/2 to 1 cup onion, chopped 3 stalks celery, chopped 6-8 whole peppercorns 4-6 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half or chopped Add any herbs you like, these are what I use: 1 bay leaf - opt 4 small sprigs of thyme 1/2 cup fresh parsley Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for about 1 hour. Cool stock. When cool, strain, pressing with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible from the vegetables. Refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 6 months. I usually freeze the broth in pint or 1 1/2 pint sized jars for easy use. *I love this broth used in Risotto! :-)...See MoreWhat can I make with a bit of Lamb broth?
Comments (10)Wow! My mother grew up in the country and shot for venison, but that's my closest association with Patricia's story. Wow. Cool. As to lamb broth, ick. I love lamb, but not straight lamb broth. That said, it should be good in cooking. If you really meant a little, like a quart or pint, the obvious thing is lamb stew liquid. Dumplings boiled in lamb broth (or lamb broth and water + wine + aromatics) should be delicious. Add it to braising liquids for vegetables, or maybe turkey (it doesn't go well with chicken but turkey (especially white) goes well with lamb). If it's rich, like I'm used to, thinned a bit it could be good for cooking rice for something like a pilaf. My inner lamb lover is voting for dumplings but it might just be looking for carbs......See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

EDIBLE GARDENS6 Summer Edibles That Can Really Take the Heat
When garden temperatures soar, these herbs and vegetables rise to the challenge
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSSee How a Practical Garden Can Be a Visual Treat, Too
A university edible garden overflows with ideas for growing produce and flowers in containers, beds — or a pickup truck
Full Story
COOL-SEASON CROPSCool-Season Vegetables: How to Grow Carrots
More than just a bunny food, easy-to-grow carrots add lacy good looks to a fall or spring garden
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESStep Right Outside for Fresh Herbs and Vegetables
Decks and patios can be convenient spots for edibles, and sometimes they even offer advantages over backyard gardens
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDCool-Season Vegetables: How to Grow Beets
Give canned versions of this fall and spring garden favorite the heave-ho and discover its true flavor and colors
Full Story
COOL-SEASON CROPSCool-Season Vegetables: How to Grow Broccoli
Packed with vitamins, broccoli is a nutritional powerhouse and is easy to grow in a fall or spring garden
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENS8 Surefire Vegetables and Herbs for Beginning Gardeners
Learn the edible plants that are popular and easy to grow in a backyard or container garden
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDCool-Season Vegetables: How to Grow Lettuce
Leaf, butterhead, crisphead or romaine — lettuce is best harvested in the cool weather of spring and fall
Full Story
COOL-SEASON CROPSCool-Season Vegetables: How to Grow Radishes
Fast growing and bright, these easy-care veggies are great for kids and bring plentiful color to a fall or spring garden
Full Story
COOL-SEASON CROPSCool-Season Vegetables: How to Grow Fennel
Crunchy and highly flavorful, this herb loves a mild winter or a cool spring in the garden
Full Story0
grainlady_ks